BOWLING v Tennis

Mistagear

www.xgamesbowling.com
Today I watched 201 minutes of BOWLING (Tournament of Champions) and
240 minutes of TENNIS (Aust Open).
This got me to thinking of comparisons between the two.
First of all, if you are going to have a modern successful sport, it's essential to attract spectators.
Both B & T are similarly repetitive actions when viewed on a screen, both played as a sport and recreation, both have wide age range but B is wider
B had about 1 dozen instances in the 3hrs (1 interesting happening every 16.6 min) where a viewer could get excited about the action and if a person were present at the event (virtually nobody was there) could find a reason to clap the participants, empathize with them and feel part of the action.
T, on the other hand had over 300 points contested (1 interesting happening every 40 seconds)and at almost every single occasion,spectators found a reason to express some excitement over the action, along with a couple of million viewers watching.
Commentary for B spent most of the time talking about things other than the vision at the time. Commentary for T found almost non stop opportunity to talk about the action at the time.
B has had a Pro Tour for a decade longer than the T Pro Tour has existed.
B is going broke in Aus and even the Pro tour is struggling to survive. T is rolling in cash and expanding further.
Current prize fund for T Aust Open is $30 million and provided by sponsors due to the ability of T to pull spectators, Prize fund for B's Aust Open is...almost zip and provided by only the competitors due to lack of ability to attract spectators.
In 2006-2007 T's junior program had 6000 participants, B probably had many more.
2009-2010 T's grew to 193,795, B had Hmmmm
2010-2011 T had 248,480, B had embarrassing.
2011-2012 T had 348,480, B has not even a clue, but hopes to continue milking their ever declining participant base.
T is focused and has matches based on winning (like other real sports) and B is a game (like other recreational activities, not sport) based on achieving an average score.

I could continue but to summarize,
Do whatever it takes to turn B into a spectator sport and treat the fans as the most important asset the sport can posses. Then copy what other fan based sports do.

You just have to look at what they do with championship darts. Darts is televised on fox sports. Match room sport like bowling. Difference is they draw large crowds. Their crowds are vocal and bring a lot of atmosphere, they sing songs, drink beer and have costume competitions etc. Darts even have an MC who announces each players score and listening to the crowd erupt when a player scores ONE HUNDRED AND EEEEIIIIGGGGHHHTTTYYYYYYY, is what makes a sport like darts compelling viewing. Thats why their sport is televised and gain sponsors. Perhaps thats what the PBA should look at doing. Involve the crowd in their coverage and come up with ways to generate more atmosphere. Get the players more involved with the crowd during shows. Watching a PBA event with uncharismatic emotionless bowlers competing in front of a quiet and dull crowd is not compelling viewing. Thank god for players like PDW and Tommy Jones who love to rev up the crowd, they make bowling worth watching. Why do the pros need silence when they are on the approach? Cricket batsmen down need silence when a bowler comes into bowl. Football players don't need silence when taking a shot for goal. Pro darts players don't need silence when they take their shot. They have the ability to either embrace the cheers or block it out, whichever they prefer. Bowlers like Belmo prefer a crowd cheering him on as he takes his shot. Having a crowd cheering them on as they take their shot would make bowling a much better sport to watch. It creates atmosphere and interest. Thats what will get sponsors interested and get bowling on TV.

I totally disagree with your comments deadman regarding the crowd making noise while on the approach.

The darts phenomenon is drive by beer. Nothin else. Just beer.

The PBA tried crowd engagement a few years ago if I'm not mistaken. They had cheer leaders & people with vu vu zela's in the crowd. It didn't go down too well.

Roysa and amagill are right. Everyone, please leave bowling alone!! Let it die a quiet, peaceful, painless death ( like slipping away silently in one's sleep.) PLEASE- No high speed crashes or anything like that. After all, we can always look back with pleasant memories. Please?

Doom and gloom is in all sports but bowling will survive, its a global indoor sport and the PBA will survive but in our own back yard people have to come out of their shell and get friends and family bowling, word of mouth and being positive about the sport of Bowling goes a long way to help rebuild from the ground up

G'Day,

I don't have the answers and will not prettend to either, but after years away from a sport I love, I have noticed a lot of changes on return. Generally the world is economically different and family budgets are stretched, we demand good bang for our buck on the entertainment side.

Personally I think we, the bowler, are all a little to precious. Liven it up, cheer your fellow bowlers. Make it fun to watch.

That is why I like the XGB format and what is being tried, it would make better viewing for spectators having tried it, and the bowlers are forced to engage each other.

Then add to the fact that a lot of bowling proprietors just see bowling as a business is not doing the sport any favours.

Bowling needs a shake from TBA, to bowling centre owners, right down to the league and social bowlers.

Go out have some fun on the lanes, demand a change from the TBA and center owner. But most of all challenge the establishment. But sitting back and letting it slip away is not good for aybody that loves this sport.

Where did I say we should sit back and watch the sport die Jim? All I said was, some things have been tried in the past, they failed. That being said, I've no objection to new things being tried. But they need to be smart about what they choose to do. Lately, with all the gimmicky things the PBA have tried, with the bowling blindfolded, etc, it's like they are just throwing cr@p at the wall hoping that something sticks.

I don't have the answers, but just look back at all the things that have been tried, and failed, and look at what worked at made the sport grow. Then you can improvise from there.

Sarcasm noted Jim.

However it was my own opinion.

You will lose as many competitors as you gain by adding cheerleaders and fireworks.

It's discussed in here by the same 10 people that post every 2 weeks.

Bowling simply isn't popular enough in Aus. Unfortunately I can't see it changing. No offence Pete.

Why are you people not taking me seriously ??
Memories, memories
Dreams of love so true
O'er the sea of memory
I'm drifting back to you.

I agree with the Tommy Jones & PDW comments. How is a sport entertaining to watch when its participants (mostly) are as interesting as watching paint dry, from a crowd perspective?

It's actually quite funny, in our scratch league I make an effort to get excited about crappy shots that carry, & even the good shots - it really puts people off. But my team mates love it & get excited, we all bowl well & enjoy our selves, & our opponents continue getting cranky & eventually lose. Win win situation.

If change is to occur, it needs to start with its participants. Get excited!

Back
Top Bottom