Best Low Hook Balls for Lanes with Little Oil????

OK. Here's a comparison.

High End - Storm Virtual Gravity Nano vs. Lane#1 Buzz Bomb Carnage. The Lane#1 ball is outrageously more angular. But the Nano is a better ball in that it's far more versatile.
Mid Range - Storm Sure Fire vs Track 715A. The Track ball is much stronger off the spot.

Storm has balls that are very strong off the backend. A lot of companies do. What makes them bad is using them inappropriately, like on a fresh sport pattern, where motion control is paramount. Bowling balls aren't bad. People with the wrong bowling balls are bad!

Jason, please stay on topic, dry lane equipment only, no talking about Virtual Gravity Nanos!

HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! I'm sorry Michael. What's the topic again..?

BTW, for medium to dry lanes, I am VERY impressed with the Radical Slant Hybrid I drilled last week. Will do some more testing and post a review next week.

I now find ONLY way to practise my A game shot get the look I am after with a plastic visi ball (I have a Melbourne Storm and Essendon Bombers) Visi plastic balls that I use. Problem with Visi balls is I am giving up a lot of my advantage of revs. That’s because I am using them for something they are not meant for.

So what balls are out there that I can use instead? Or what could I try?

Back to the original post, and the above line in particular.

Maybe, just keep working with your plastics. They'll teach you to be more accurate in terms of carry, and you'll be able to try different hand positions and releases without as much at risk.

If you're desperate for a stronger ball, I wouldn't recommended Urethane, for the same reasons people have mentioned above, unless you wanna polish it, but I'd still be hesitant. I'd go with a weak reactive and low flare drilling, as you want the ball to rotate over the little oil that is out there as much as possible. Whether that is a close (1"ish) pin to pap, or a long (6"+) pin to pap may be a personal preference. It might do you well to try both, if you have access to any older balls, and discover what you like about each drilling, and what you don't. You never know when you might need one those reactions again down the line. A lot of this will depend on how you play the lanes, and what your rotation and tilt is. Just because I find that Urethanes don't carry when I get left of 10, doesn't mean the same ball and drilling won't strike all day for you.

If you can, get your local ball driller or coach to watch you and see how quickly the ball begins it's hook phase and the parts of the lane that you're playing. If not, do some video work and I'm sure you can find some people on here that'll watch it and be able to give you a much better response.

Whatever you go with, if it is a low volume pattern be prepared to keep chasing the oil left, as your increased rev rate will dictate that you do. If you're serious about the changes you have made with your game, then try not to fall back into old easy habits. Stick with your plans through thick and thin and keep learning.

Cheers, Cow

Back to the original post, and the above line in particular.

Maybe, just keep working with your plastics. They'll teach you to be more accurate in terms of carry, and you'll be able to try different hand positions and releases without as much at risk.

If you're desperate for a stronger ball, I wouldn't recommended Urethane, for the same reasons people have mentioned above, unless you wanna polish it, but I'd still be hesitant. I'd go with a weak reactive and low flare drilling, as you want the ball to rotate over the little oil that is out there as much as possible. Whether that is a close (1"ish) pin to pap, or a long (6"+) pin to pap may be a personal preference. It might do you well to try both, if you have access to any older balls, and discover what you like about each drilling, and what you don't. You never know when you might need one those reactions again down the line. A lot of this will depend on how you play the lanes, and what your rotation and tilt is. Just because I find that Urethanes don't carry when I get left of 10, doesn't mean the same ball and drilling won't strike all day for you.

If you can, get your local ball driller or coach to watch you and see how quickly the ball begins it's hook phase and the parts of the lane that you're playing. If not, do some video work and I'm sure you can find some people on here that'll watch it and be able to give you a much better response.

Whatever you go with, if it is a low volume pattern be prepared to keep chasing the oil left, as your increased rev rate will dictate that you do. If you're serious about the changes you have made with your game, then try not to fall back into old easy habits. Stick with your plans through thick and thin and keep learning.

Cheers, Cow

Nice post mate, I have found through a bit of advice and my own tinkering, keeping the pin close to my pap certainly keeps the ball on line on the drier lanes, I tested it out with an Outlaw and for a mid range ball, I can use it on the driest of conditions here in Newcastle, I actually punched it up 2.5 x 5 with a 1.5 pin buffer, but I think with a bit more tinkering with an entry level ball, I can get more length and it tends to read early, but is still super controllable on the backend. I also benefit from my own axis rotation too, so as Steve mentioned, your hand position, rotation and tilt will play a big part.

I remember bowling exclusively with plastic balls when I first moved to Newcastle, bowling on the wood lane surfaces they still had here at the time with little conditioning, it certainly improves you accuracy and gives you a finer appreciation for the subtle changes you can make with swing, hand position etc.

I should be careful should I Michael? Is that some sort of veiled threat?

I really don't care who you think you are. Why not come out and say what you mean?

PS: I just got a 1 week ban for being an assclown, and admin is sick of my dribble. See you soon :)

I should be careful should I Michael? Is that some sort of veiled threat?

I really don't care who you think you are. Why not come out and say what you mean?

Poor form CO.

Pathetic really.

Michael has done nothing but try to discuss the topic and you have continued to try and bait him into random points that are irrelevant to the topic. Dont ask me to dig them out like i know you will becuase i simply cant be bothered. I wish there was an ignore feature on this forum that way you wouldnt have to read the posts of people who annoy you and others wouldnt have to read yours.

I hope the OP has got something out of the good content contained in this thread from the respected posters who have put forward their thoughts, well done.

Warning: please bring this thread back on topic. I've already taken the garbage out. Don't mess the kitchen up again

I'm away playing in a golf tournament so I really don't have time to babysit things... That's what grandparents are for

LOL. Been away for a while (by choice) and I am 'glad' [for want of a better word] to see things have not changed. lol CO is still on fire I see!

Mick, I have bowled with a few balls from three ball companies and none of them have made me a better bowler, so I say THEY ARE ALL $h!7!! :D

Jim, You may be from the foreign land ;) but you are welcome to be a XXXXMan and enjoy the liquor of Kings. We may not be able to spell [hang on while I look it up on google] B-E-E-R but we sure can brew it up here! [And then slap on a label saying XXXX to hide the fact we can't spell it]

[disclaimer: I am not too big on the theory of bowling so this may be bad advice, so take with grain of salt but...] I find that on a drier condition I'll start with the hand on the side of the ball with fingers down and try to hold that position through the shot, I find the ball will go further down the lane but turn harder in the backend. I am usually a cupper that stays behind the ball and turns around the ball towards the release. This allows me to throw the same ball on a drier condition (because I can't afford to buy a new ball for each condition I may face, and it would just be too confusing for me anyway - I have fifteen balls which two do I bowl with?!? - bugger that I'd prefer to have my standard four and deal with them on the lane)

My $0.05.

Back
Top Bottom