How is the wide hook performed

L

LuckyStrike

Ive been trying for years to be able to hook the ball all the way across the lane but havent been able to do so, Ive read a bunch of books and they havent helped either, I use the hand shake method for my strike ball and a move my pinkie towards my ring to produce more revs but it still lacks the revs that players with better hook balls have, can someone help me with this please Ive been trying for years.

I use an XX CEL

The question I'm compelled to ask here is "Why?"

If the condition requires it to hook a mile, you'll be able to hook it a mile. If you can't bring it back 20 boards in 2 feet then it's probably not the appropriate shot...

The question I'm compelled to ask here is "Why?"
If the condition requires it to hook a mile, you'll be able to hook it a mile. If you can't bring it back 20 boards in 2 feet then it's probably not the appropriate shot...
To have more control over the revelotions you produce is very important, suppose your playing very wet lanes, than a high revelotion shart is quite desireable but I cant do it.

So it's a high rev shot you're after, not a big 'coast to coast' hook shot??

It is possible to playup the boards with a high rev shot....if you have very wet lanes, a huge hook shot is probably not the best thing to try

Yes, a high rev shot can be played down the lane very effectively, just look at Porto (even tho he IS left handed ;) )
Maybe try using the 1 step approach drill to get the timing of the release before trying to crank ur shot.
R

Work on getting out of the ball clean and having good balance at the line, a lot of power id gained just from that. When you catch all of a good shot and get some 'stuff' on it it feels like you havent done anything at all. And once more for the cheap seats, as a few people have mentioned above, covering boards and power arent the same thing.

My team mate bowls a big hook and the one thing it does bring is inconsitency. He is very erratic.
On my lanes most oil is in the middle and its very dry on the edge, so the ball goes from oil to nothing to oil. A board or two wrong on either side is bad news.
People do get amazed looking at him hook the ball, but thats it. I have down the side hook in shot (hook from the 7 board) and my average is currently 16 pins higher...so whats the better thing to do.
It does vary from person to person, but personally i cant see the advantage in throwing an impressive looking shot if you dont get the results.
Use the K.I.S.S. method...Keep It Simple Stupid :)
Btw: Im not implying anyone is stupid. I didnt make the anagram i just wrote it

it just depends on what u want if u are going to bowl away fome house shots or what eva every shot haz its ups and downs but if u wana hook the ball just pratice. how i got more revs on the ball (not that i needed them =P) is played 2 handed to get a feel of the presure on my finger tips and than try and coppy it on my shot but timeing is verry crucial en it comes to rolling the ball up my sugestion is find a coach that will teach what u want not what thay think is proper ^.^

it just depends on what u want if u are going to bowl away fome house shots or what eva every shot haz its ups and downs but if u wana hook the ball just pratice. how i got more revs on the ball (not that i needed them =P) is played 2 handed to get a feel of the presure on my finger tips and than try and coppy it on my shot but timeing is verry crucial en it comes to rolling the ball up my sugestion is find a coach that will teach what u want not what thay think is proper ^.^
Thanks Im gonna try that!

OK. Here's a copy of what I wrote the other day in the coaching library, amended for the big hook. This is how I think of the action I use.

You will need pretty good ball speed to control the big hook. So consider the height of your backswing, which may need to increase to accommodate this.

Swing
Once the ball has reached the apex of the swing, you need the ball to be "turned out", that is, the ball slightly faces away from your body, with your thumb pointing outward. This allows the weight of the ball to be suspended in the stronger side of your hand and locks the ball onto your thumb which now faces perpendicular to your swing plane. The ball does not turn back in until it has passed your hip before release, allowing you to maintain a fairly relaxed thumb. This is essential for the speed of release required. Your thumb will need to fly out, loose as a goose!

Wrist turn
Keep your arm behind the ball so that the inside of your forearm stays facing foward/upward. You only turn your wrist. (While reading this, put your arm in front of you and try this out while watching it. You’ll get the idea and the feeling pretty quickly.)
The advantage of learning this is that you can learn not to overturn the ball.
Hint – Do not commence turning your wrist until after the ball has passed the thigh of your non-sliding foot.

Finger lift
As the ball approaches your ankle, your thumb leaves the thumb hole, giving you have a limited period in which to apply finger lift. This is called the release window. You can increase the release window with practice. This is simply closing your fingers (resisting the weight of the ball) as you rotate, but can be muscled up a bit if you like with time and training, although this really isn't necessary these days. (I've spent the past year taking the muscle out of the release from ye olde urethane ball days.)

It’s all one smooth action. To see a magnificent example of this, watch Pete Weber win the 2006 Etonic Championship on Youtube. Yes, it will require practice and good instruction and a bit of hand-holding by a coach will help.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
Jason

OK. Here's a copy of what I wrote the other day in the coaching library, amended for the big hook. This is how I think of the action I use.
You will need pretty good ball speed to control the big hook. So consider the height of your backswing, which may need to increase to accommodate this.
Swing
Once the ball has reached the apex of the swing, you need the ball to be "turned out", that is, the ball slightly faces away from your body, with your thumb pointing outward. This allows the weight of the ball to be suspended in the stronger side of your hand and locks the ball onto your thumb which now faces perpendicular to your swing plane. The ball does not turn back in until it has passed your hip before release, allowing you to maintain a fairly relaxed thumb. This is essential for the speed of release required. Your thumb will need to fly out, loose as a goose!
Wrist turn
Keep your arm behind the ball so that the inside of your forearm stays facing foward/upward. You only turn your wrist. (While reading this, put your arm in front of you and try this out while watching it. You’ll get the idea and the feeling pretty quickly.)
Hint – Do not commence turning your wrist until after the ball has passed the thigh of your non-sliding foot.
Finger lift
As the ball approaches your ankle, your thumb leaves the thumb hole, giving you have a limited period in which to apply finger lift. This is called the release window. You can increase the release window with practice. This is simply closing your fingers (resisting the weight of the ball) as you rotate, but can be muscled up a bit if you like with time and training, although this really isn't necessary these days. (I've spent the past year taking the muscle out of the release from ye olde urethane ball days.)
It’s all one smooth action. To see a magnificent example of this, watch Pete Weber win the 2006 Etonic Championship on Youtube. Yes, it will require practice and good instruction and a bit of hand-holding by a coach will help.
Good luck with it.
Cheers,
Jason

That just seems so much more complicated....

Just put your left hand on the ball, take your thumb out and roll the ball like you would a rugby pass..... It will take you 1/10th the time to learn 'the big hook' and 10 times faster to get better at than trying to do it one handed.
But in saying that, there is not to many times that reaction is what you want on the lane....so keep that in mind!

Now if you are a lefty..... there is no need to learn the 'big hook' just look at the first arrow and stand on the almost any dot :) Im only joking....or am i??

Belmo

Good luck with it.
Cheers,
Jason

Jason

What pattern were they bowling on?

[I found out - PBA's Shark pattern 44 feet]

And is Pete's swing and release the same on all patterns?

Cheers
Sampson1791

Swing
Wrist turn
Finger lift
Good luck with it.
Cheers,
Jason
Thank you so much Im gonna try that!

Thank you so much Im gonna try that!

Ummm one question
WHY THE HELL DO YOU WANT THE BIG HOOK with an AVERAGE of 195?

I'm a lefty and bowl on the 12th Board and hook a ball into the pocket but my average is only 160. Mate I have never seen you bowl nor do I know how long you've been bowling but with an average like that it sounds like you just need to practice more and maybe get a coach. I'd love an average like that but have no coaches for 250kms of me!!!

Good luck and keep up the average :)

Sampson1791

Sampson1791 maby u should try hooking the ball? only just a sugestion =p and mabey he mite want to try and bowl in tornys and keep an open mind?

see what happens eah?

If you want to hook a ball it takes a long time to learn how to do it and even longer to learn how to control it so the best idea is work on what you can do not what other people can do

Back
Top Bottom