How do you go about adding more revs without a coach?

L

LuckyStrike

Ive been bowling for about 17 years off and on since I was about 8 or so, and Ive never been able to throw the 3rd arrow (15 board) because I have lacked the required revs to bowl in an area with heavy oil. I'd like that to change, not that I suck now but the way I bowl is very boring and I would also like the extra versatility, is there any drills (as far as practice) you can do to develop more hook? What do you recommend. I live in an area thats very rural, and coaches are few and far between.

with a 190 avg do you eally need to add revs.
:Lighten:but if you do want to increase revs. try 2 handed or use a wrist guard. (robbys revs 3 is the one i use). i tripled my rev rate up to 9 revs.

The 2 handed delivery shouldn't be taken lightly. It does put considerable strain on the back and legs, and without the proper technique could cause some very serious damage.
Timing is everything. With great timing you might just be amazed what you can do with the ball with little to no effort. Unfornatually, it's definately something you need a coach to at least start you off in the right direction.

Later Da Cowman!

having revs isnt everything(trust me), who cares if your shot is boring it only matters if u knock down pins, i can bet ya you are beating people with revs;)

timing does alot as cow said...

but i dont really see why you need to have more revs, having a 190 average shows u can adjust to what you have already, but i guess it is good being versitle on the lane..

so its a 50/50 call, but if u do decided to try and get more revs, get a coach anyway, cause if u try the wrong way to get revs, your average can drop by huge amounts and can do some damage to yourself

with a 190 avg do you eally need to add revs.
:Lighten:but if you do want to increase revs. try 2 handed or use a wrist guard. (robbys revs 3 is the one i use). i tripled my rev rate up to 9 revs.
2 handed? What do you recommend for a wrist guard?

My wiseman always told me it was 'Strikes for show, Spares for dough'

Those damn Chinese and their whispers...

Lucky, try getting a video of yourself bowling and even use these internet forums to get some basic feedback.

Later Da Cowman

If you do develop a power shot dont sacrifice your straighter game completely, being versatile is a BIG asset(let that be a lesson to all you young Robert Smith wannabees too, there are boards on the apporach right of the 20 board, learn how to use them!!)

Not knowing your build or height it is difficult to suggest options for you to look into. Two handed is one but this requires a significant investment in time on the lanes outside of competition to be able to produce a consistent delivery. I agree with the previous post that to adopt this type of delivery would be thankless without the aid of a coach.

The wristguard option is one worth exploring. However I would provide this bit of advice from 20 odd years of experience using one. Avoid the adjustable guards when you first start using a guard. Look for a guard similar to the original cobra (doesn't have to be a cobra but needs to be fixed not adjustable). I provide this advice from experience not a preference for a particular type of guard. When I did use an adjustable guard for awhile I found I could use it to greater advantage due to the fact I had established a very sound first ball shot with the fixed wrist guard.

The other advice I can give comes from knowledge of what one of Australia's best bowlers of the 80's did to establish his premium game. If you are a right hander bowl balls at the 10 pin. I don't mean straight I mean stand across the approach and roll the ball out. This will help you improve the roll you place on the ball. Vice versa for left handers. I of course now throw a flat straight urethane ball at the 7 pin myself but I did use this technique to develop a better feel and roll to my shot. Most coaches would encourage you to do the same in order to help you with your shot making ability.

The best piece of advice I can give is to be honest with yourself, never be afraid to try something different or ask a question of your peers. Don't wonder about it try it yourself or ask someone about it!

Try and get a hold of Don Johnston's video's "A Pro's Guide To Better Bowling"
volume 2.

Back
Top Bottom