new bowling balls

10pinstriker

hey ive been bowling for almost a year now. when i first was bowling casually just having fun i was bowling straight but when i bought my first ball ( an ebonite maxum) i started to learn 2 hook by myself. it was really hard because the ball wasnt really designed to hook much. ive just bought a storm hot rod bowling ball. the first 2 weeks i was getting really great hook out of it and was scoring way more games over 200 scratch. i was standing on the 32 board and aiming for about the 20 board. then i got a little coaching and have now changed where i am standing. i no stand at the 27 board and hit the 15 board when releasing. i scored my highest game 238 with this. then the next week i found i had completely no hook and my ball was going straight. i presume it was because the lanes are to oily. i havent been getting a very good hook any more now. is it something to do with how i am bowling or is it just the way the lanes are being oiled? i watch other bowlers in my league and they seem to hook fine. any help is really appreciated. thank you.

it is hard to say what it is that could be making your shot go straight, there are alot of factors involved. what might help is if you could get a digital camera shot or two of your game on this site when you find your ball is going straight. then that way the people who actually know what they are on about can help you out

maybe its just your not releasing the ball right, and your causing it to go straight. It also might be the conditions, your speed, the amount of revs etc etc. Just keep practicing what you had been taught and eventually it'll come back to you

yea maybe. i just travelled down the line today to another bowling alley ill be playing at at the end of the month and wow i had a really low score the first game. the 2nd game was up around my average. the lanes seem smaller and narrower. and yet again, no hook. i was talking to the proshop guy there and he said that my ball was drilled and is a thumb weight and the ball will only arch. he said to look at getting a 3rd ball and get it drilled finger weight so it will snap. so that might be a thing to look at for me.

10pinstriker, the guy in the pro shop is wrong, finger weight will not make it snap, in fact if the ball is plastic and you had it drilled for finger weight you would not notice an appreciable difference. If the ball is urethane or reactive urethane, with a 2 part weight block, than finger weight is insignignificant compared to the axis point relationship to pin and c.g..
willey.

hey well today after i worked i had a bowl. today there was youth trials for the nationals in ozzie land. i was guna try out but got advised not to. after work i decided to have a bowl and just see how i would have paired up against the other bowlers. i would have come 3rd today and only .1 average behind 2nd place. i was advised not to trial even though i wanted to :( working tomorrow also so i can watch and see how the guys bowl and after work see how i could have paired up against them. any way the point is i actually was hooking again. i have no idea why. maybe the lane conditions ??? i went to another bowling centre yesterday and found they were absouletly shocking as their lanes hadnt been condition all school holidays! i will be travelling down there at the end of the month to compete in the junior champs.their lanes seems smaller and narrower but i was told they are exactly the same. probably me being to fussy about things.

Back
Top Bottom