Best Low Hook Balls for Lanes with Little Oil????

I've had axis weighted gear (pin on pap) since around the time the original blue Hammer came out, this works extremely well on the light oil but you'll still cover plenty of boards if you don't polish them up. I also did the same to a Virtual Gravity and this gets heaps of length over my more aggressively drilled VG. If you want something for the Gobi desert the Columbia Messenger works very well with axis weight, more length than the urethanes of same layout. These balls all get through the heads well and if you can get it to stand up just before hitting the pins the carry is as good as anything I've seen, if they're still skidding a little put it back in the bag or you will leave plenty of 5 pins.

Bluey, I wouldn't be admitting you leave five pins with any of today's equipment lol ;)

I have always found I still need some midlane oil to use a urethane ball in the dry, light reactives are the way to go, but I would try and find a strong core, weak cover combo, drilled with a pin closer to your pap but not on, will keep the ball online quite well.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all your advise.

I am going to start by getting a Tropical Breeze drilled up and see how that goes. **Fingers crossed**

The storm brand is for the sheep out there. "Look, they got a storm ball so I should".

As opposed to any other brand? The Tropicals are quite good entry level balls, strong to their purpose and consistant. If a ball is good, a ball is good, every brand makes good and bad balls along the way. At present Roto Grip and Storm are making more good than bad. Hardly a bad thing IMO ;)

There's a reason Storm are the most popular brand on the market. Don't get a rep like that without making top quality gear.

I'd be too scared to make bad balls. PDW would blast them!!

spose when you're THAT good u could ave 200 with a coconut.

Bluey, I wouldn't be admitting you leave five pins with any of today's equipment lol ;)

I have always found I still need some midlane oil to use a urethane ball in the dry, light reactives are the way to go, but I would try and find a strong core, weak cover combo, drilled with a pin closer to your pap but not on, will keep the ball online quite well.

Yeah Mick l did think twice as l typed it, l reckon l've left at least half a dozen 5 pins from the pocket..................... over the last 4 years.;)

Like anyone else who asks this question you should see your local proshop owner and get their opinion based on how you bowl.

And I still think storm is garbage. Only ever had one and will only ever have one. Tried a number of the others and Storm is by far the worst I have ever had.

And I still think storm is garbage. Only ever had one and will only ever have one. Tried a number of the others and Storm is by far the worst I have ever had.
Any decent operator doesn't blame their tools, if the gear didnt suit you, then just say that, but to say it's garbage, hmmmm doesn't sound right dude

I have used a few different brands, which didnt suit me, and i can accept that, but not once have i said they are garbage

johnnybg

There are no bad balls in the market right now. There are however different brands with different covers and cores that may suit a player very well and others that aren't so hot. I suggest you had a bad match up with your Storm ball, CO. As I've had from time to time with a number of brands.

I didn't put a Storm ball on my suggestions though, as the topic was for dry lanes and I made the assumption that backend control was a priority. Most storm gear tends to be clean through the front and stronger downlane. If you wanted to hook the whole lane when they're dry, then it's hard to look past a Storm ball.

Back on topic, the Brunswick Slingshot is a great dry lane ball! Forgot about that one. The DV8 Misfit is a little stronger, (more a medium/dry ball) but is a lot of ball for the money too. Both of these balls will give you a smoother overall reaction. Good when they're really hooking, IMO, as they will hold the pocket longer.

There are no bad balls in the market right now. There are however different brands with different covers and cores that may suit a player very well and others that aren't so hot. I suggest you had a bad match up with your Storm ball, CO. As I've had from time to time with a number of brands.

I didn't put a Storm ball on my suggestions though, as the topic was for dry lanes and I made the assumption that backend control was a priority. Most storm gear tends to be clean through the front and stronger downlane. If you wanted to hook the whole lane when they're dry, then it's hard to look past a Storm ball.

Back on topic, the Brunswick Slingshot is a great dry lane ball! Forgot about that one. The DV8 Misfit is a little stronger, (more a medium/dry ball) but is a lot of ball for the money too. Both of these balls will give you a smoother overall reaction. Good when they're really hooking, IMO, as they will hold the pocket longer.

My point exactly, most brands have a fairly decent range of balls where you can pick out the good, some brands dont suit some people so calling a particular brand garbage is just plain rubbish itself, i know the majority of brunswick balls dont suit me, but doesnt mean they dont suit others, although something I would add as a possible bonus, with the stronger backend reactions of the Storm gear, this could also be a positive in creating some additional entry angle in the pocket, which if the midlane is burning too, can stop some of those flat tens when too much energy is burnt off the ball.

Totally agree with Dousty and Mick, all the brands are making fantastic gear.

As silly as this sounds, I find myself buying gear that looks good because I know it doesn't matter if I buy an Ebonite, Hammer, Storm, Rotogrip, 900 Global or even AMF. I know I will be getting a top notch ball. I have throw a few new balls lately and have found anything from Mid Range to High performance is an absolute winner.

stronger compared to what? There are a number of balls on the market with as strong, sometimes stronger, backends than the storm stuff.

Lol, do you like arguing for the sake of it? I wonder? I never said the Storm stuff was the strongest or most angular on the market. What is there to not understand that we are talking about entry level equipment that in this case, the Storm Tropical ranges, that have the general characteristic of getting through the heads and midlane well but also having a strong backend motion, which sometimes isn't the worst thing in the world.

In an overall comparison, the Storm gear most definitely has a more angular reaction to say Ebonite, Columbia, some Hammer balls, definitely Brunswick, but majority of the DV8 gear has angular backend reaction, Track has angular backend reactions, Roto Grip is only just behind the Storm stuff. Of course all balls can be drilled as such but the general characteristics of each brand don't change too often. Even Jason made mention of the Storm having strong backend motion. And for someone who says they are garbage and has only bowled with one Storm ball, I am presuming you would understand that you lack a little personal experience in determining your statement above.

stronger compared to what? There are a number of balls on the market with as strong, sometimes stronger, backends than the storm stuff.

Can you list them please? I'm in the market for a ball with a stronger backend reaction than the Storm stuff. Thanks.

DV8 Hellraiser Revenge
Lane 1 Black Panther
Ebonite Elevate
Roto Grip Defiant

I think these are the most aggressive currently on the market.

The backend on the Ebonite Elevate is rediculous.

Unlike other people on here I read what is posted and I am able to quote it if required.

Lol, am happy you have learnt the quote feature, kudos, but if you follow the thread, Jason first mentioned that the Storm stuff has a strong backend motion and there are others that are a bit tamer, I merely agreed as most of the Storm equipment have strong backend motions, in particular the equipment relating to this thread, entry level or low reactives, clean through the heads and midlane, with strong backend reaction, might not necessarily be a bad thing, in particular to help kick out flat corners, but that this reaction is also a general characteristic of the Storm range and most of their equipment is strong on the backend. I did also mention various other brands that are strong on the backend and even those that aren't make balls with strong backend motion from time to time, not to mention you can obviously drill them to suit this reaction to a degree too.

The context of this thread is about low end balls and which were suitable options for the OP, not which ball company has the strongest balls on the market. So I am guessing that like others you can't read what is posted, but you can sure use the quote function. ;)

Back
Top Bottom