Best leave ever?

right hander: took out the 4-8, double handed with a six pound ball, left the 7 9 10 and spared it when i was 10 years old, am 18 now and have only left it twice in my career. Left the big 6: 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10 heaps of times and 3 in two days, left the 5,7,10 once but had a messenger in front of everything, left the 6,7 off pocket and left the 6 pin twice in a row on the same lane (pin outer spot) but worst leave i have done was definitely the 9-10 in the pocket and sparing the 2,3,4,6,7,10 but on a sparing drill.

I remember having the ball scream back from 2 board to stick a blower 6-7 off the half-pocket. On wood lanes. In about 1985... With David Hamilton's Yellow Dot... I'd never seen that before. Actually, nobody had! :p

Come to think of it, I really don't hook the ball much anymore..!

I should have documented yesterday's practice session for this thread. Geeezz... Never seen so many messy holes in the rack!

I've had 13 stone cold ten pins in a row does that count? or is it just really unlucky.

I don't know whether to say "BALL CHANGE!" or "Bad rack!" :)

Actually, I can remember my worst leave ever. At Mt Druitt, which when it was wood, was among the worst reverse blocks ever. If you didn't chuck it up the guts, you were toast. As I couldn't keep the ball on the headpin from the middle of the lane, I tried playing outside 5 board and left the 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,10. I took the 6-9 out clean for a 2 count off the first ball... Three times in two weeks. With a wine U-dot. For some reason, I didn't go back after that...

Hey Jason,

I have done that a few times as a Junior with an old LT-51...

On the week end I left the 1-7-8. Odd that I spared that and missed four single pins. I even took the 7 out of the 4-7 twice....Damn user error.

Yep, that would hurt.

I have been trying straighter is greater at my spares. I have picked more single pins off clusters lately than I care to count. So, I think I will stick to just getting strikes. Saves energy as well, makes the league night nice and short and they are easy to add up.

In all seriousness, I have seen some ugly leaves in the last 12 months.

At Devonport in the State Masters about a month or so back, I went through the beak and left a 2-3-6-7 with a Nano.
That was the second time I've spliced the 2-3 in Devonport in the last 15 years, although with this one I did slightly move the 2-pin to the left.
In league a couple of Sunday nights ago, my opponent took out the 7-10 off a full rack, was a pretty impressive effort :)

Dousty never blame the rack! There's no such thing as a "bad rack" ;)
Mick Camarda on Sunday, I left a 5-7-10 :(
There were some ugly leaves on the weekend - quite a few thru the beak for a 4-count 3-4-6-7-9-10 leave.

Dousty never blame the rack! There's no such thing as a "bad rack" ;)
Mick Camarda on Sunday, I left a 5-7-10 :(
There were some ugly leaves on the weekend - quite a few thru the beak for a 4-count 3-4-6-7-9-10 leave.
Of course not. The racks are always set down with CAD-like precision! Hmmm... Try walking across the approaches at Tuggeranong for a tutorial on bad racks.... (Or any GS-X installation that the techs aren't firmly on top of, for that matter! It's like painting the Harbour Bridge!) Lanes 7 and 9 are classic closed pocket scenarios (1 and 3 pins very close together laterally). You could probably strike with a duckpin ball on them, but a bowling ball will ring the 10 all night from a solid hit. You just have to aim light all night. If you play a lefty, you lose on those pairs if the lefty is any good at all.

5-7-10. Merry Christmas! Try some ball roll next time! ;) Although I have seen some 5-7-10's where the 5 pin was a paralyser (headpin hits 3 pin front on and 3 pin then sandwiches the 5 pin between it and the ball) combined with a blower 7-10. A very Tuggeranong leave. (Tuggeranong is a local word meaning "back row pin".)

And 4 off the nose is very common when the lanes are wet/dry. Short to medium pattern length really opens the angles up, leaves a strip of clean backend in the middle (right where you don't want it) and all sorts of weird stuff appears!

Actually, I can remember my worst leave ever. At Mt Druitt, which when it was wood, was among the worst reverse blocks ever. If you didn't chuck it up the guts, you were toast. As I couldn't keep the ball on the headpin from the middle of the lane, I tried playing outside 5 board and left the 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,10. I took the 6-9 out clean for a 2 count off the first ball... Three times in two weeks. With a wine U-dot. For some reason, I didn't go back after that...

i saw a guy take out the 6-10, then gap it on his spare attempt lol

Saw a 3-4-5-6-7-9 left tonight .....and he spared it.

I wasn't there so I don't disbelieve you but I'm not sure it's possible to take the 1 2 8 10 and leave the rest. Especially the 4 5 6 ?

I presume he was left handed ? I get that the rack might have been off spot to take the 2 8 clean but to take the 1 and nothing else but the 10?

Wish I'd seen it

I wasn't there so I don't disbelieve you but I'm not sure it's possible to take the 1 2 8 10 and leave the rest. Especially the 4 5 6 ?

I presume he was left handed ? I get that the rack might have been off spot to take the 2 8 clean but to take the 1 and nothing else but the 10?

Wish I'd seen it

Dont worry Roysa, I dont beleive him either :p

Back
Top Bottom