Belmonte tops leaderboard at 5th Indonesia International Open

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Jakarta, Indonesia - Friday, 10 August 2007

Australia’s Jason Belmonte today shot to the lead of the 5th Indonesia International Open Tenpin Bowling Championship currently underway at the 60-lane Jaya Ancol Bowl in Jakarta.

Posting 1763 after the first round of the 8-game final, Belmonte tops the field of some of Asia’s best bowlers and stars from North and South America including Andres Gomez and Tim Mack. Fellow Australians Andrew Frawley and George Frilingos also feature in the top ten placings with scores of 1687 and 1602 respectively. Korea’s Jun Byung-Oh on 1754 and Zulmazran Zulkifli from Malaysia on 1747 are in hot pursuit of the lead going into the final day’s play.

The second block of eight games in the Men’s Open final is scheduled to commence at 1.30 pm Saturday. Round One scores are carried forward to the second round, with the top six bowlers based on 16-game total scores advancing to the stepladder grand final.

In the Women’s division, local hero Tannya Roumimper made an impressive showing, finishing just 31 pins behind Korea’s Kim Eun Jung who leads with a 1690 score at the halfway point of the Masters final. Liza Clutario of the Philippines is just four pins behind on 1655, with defending champion, Zara Glover from England in fourth place on 1647.

The 5th Indonesia International Open Tenpin Bowling Championship attracts points in the Asian Zone’s official rankings and is the qualifier for the Indonesia leg of the ABF Tour 2007, which will be held on Sunday, 13 August.

1186773896.jpg

1186774135.jpg

Full scores and further details can be found at http://www.abf-online.org

Story Lynne Clay

BELMONTE TRIUMPHS IN INDONESIA

"I like winning any time, and I love winning on tough conditions!" exclaimed jubilant Australian bowler, Jason Belmonte after being crowned champion of the Men’s Masters at the 5th Indonesia International Open Tenpin Bowling Championship in Jakarta. "To actually win when the conditions are so challenging, and vary so much from one pair of lanes to another, is a real buzz," he added after being mobbed by spectators and a throng of media at the Ancol Jaya Bowling Centre this evening.

Securing pole position following the second round of this afternoon’s eight-game final, Belmonte watched Korea’s Lee Young-Jun advance from the first match of the stepladder final, after relegating fellow Australian Andrew Frawley and Qatar’s Saeed Al-Hajri to fifth and sixth placing. Korea’s Jun Byung-Oh won the second match of the stepladder, leaving teammate Lee Young-Jun and Malaysia’s Zulmazran Zulkifli in his wake.

Jun Byung-Oh then faced the in-form Aussie in the grand final but a 214-204 game delivered a decisive victory to the top-seeded Belmonte, with no need for a repechage.
In the Women’s division, Singapore’s Bernice Lim emerged victorious over Malaysia’s Trish Khoo, 156/186-169/172, with Hong Kong bowler Chan Shuk Han and K N Lai from Malaysia finishing in third and fourth place respectively.

Stepladder match scores published on the Ancol Jaya site are reproduced below and full details can be found on the official site - www.ancolbowling.com.

Story Lynne Clay

It was only worth a cool 100 Million Rupiah!! (US$10,000)

Well Done Belmo! Keep up the awesome bowling!

Later Da Cowman!

So Belmo is now a multi-millionaire (in Indonesia anyway) ;)

Great work Belmo.... Congrats

I'd personally like to congratulate Jason on one of the best wins I've ever seen. The 1:5 to 1 oiling pattern was brutal, not to mention the new pins they installed just for the tournament. Combine that with 90% humidity and oiling moving every 3 frames you have yourself an impossible condition.

Jason showed why he is the new standard in world bowling and even on one of the toughest patterns laid he managed to dominate the field. I bowled great but it was still no where near Belmo. Frawls put on a good show as well, the step ladder pair was rather unfavourable for the big fella.

The ABF final on Sunday was rather unfortunate, I played Belmo in the first match and lost (I did bowl a touch better though :D) Frawls got knocked out first round, Belmo then lost in the 2nd round to the home town favourite Ryan.

It was a great trip and one of the toughest International fields I've ever competed in. People in this country don't appreciate how good Belmo is but I saw it first hand!

Well done mate,

your retiring friend

G

Jaya Ancol Bowl in Jakarta, Indonesia (August 12, 2007)

FINAL:
Biboy Rivera (PHI) def. Wu Siu Hong (HKG), 209-168

SEMI-FINAL:
Wu Siu Hong (HKG) def. Ryan Lalisang (INA), 234-214
Biboy Rivera (PHI) def. Daniel Yiu (HKG), 257-208

ROUND 2:
Ryan Lalisang (INA) def. Jason Belmonte (AUS), 250-221
Wu Siu Hong (HKG) def. Surasak Manuwong (THA), 237-190
Daniel Yiu (HKG) def. David Sitorius (INA), 180-169
Biboy Rivera (PHI) def. Han Yannaphon Larp-apharat (THA), 257-225

ROUND 1:
Jason Belmonte (AUS) def. George Frilingos (AUS), 219-191