BELMONTE TOP SEED IN ABF TOUR ‘TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS’

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Australia’s Jason Belmonte is top seed going into the final rounds of the Asia Bowling Federation Tour’s Tournament of Champions currently underway in Jakarta, Indonesia. The ABF Tournament of Champions, which comprises eight Legs and the Grand Final, is the grand slam final for the 2006 Tour and will be telecast on some of the key television stations in the region.
Midway through today’s qualifying matches, the Aussie was in second place when Qatar’s Abdulla Al Qatan briefly overtook him and overnight leader, Chester King from The Philippines before a spectacular 290 game in the 14th game elevated Belmonte into a commanding lead.

After 15 games of qualifying, Belmonte finished on a 217 average, 44 pins ahead of Al Qatan, with Filipino Chester King just two pins further back. Malaysian bowlers Mohd Noer Said, Zulmazran Zulkifli and Alex Liew secured fourth to sixth places, ahead of Hong Kong’s Wu Siu Hong, with Kuwaiti bowler Fadhel Al Mousawi edging out the rest of the field to make the cut to the top eight.

In the women’s division, Thailand’s Angkana Netrviseth pipped Belmonte’s qualifying total by 32 pins, averaging 217.80 over the 15 games of round-robin competition going into tomorrow’s final rounds. Korea’s Kim Eun Jung and host nation’s Putty Armein finished 91 and 176 pins off the pace respectively, with Malaysian youngster Siti Safiyah overtaking several experienced Tour participants in the cut to the top eight.

A draw will be held by the Asian Bowling Federation to decide the bowlers’ player order for the Round 2 games, and qualifying bowlers will compete in one-game matchplay knock-out competitions in Rounds 2 and 3, and the Final round.

The winners of the first quarter-final matches on Monday will proceed to the semi-finals to determine the finalists and the Tournament of Champions winners in male and female divisions.

For full scores and details of the draw, see www.abftour.com

Attachments

• jason_belmonte.jpg
    jason_belmonte.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 15
Talk to Jase last night and he used the Wrath all day, he's got a good look for the finals. The rest of the format is cut throat, lets hope the best bowler wins.

Keep up the good bowling Jase

Belmo got past his first opponent from Kuwait Fadhel AL-MOUSAWI, defeating him in a low scoring affair 192 to 176. He now plays Mohd Noer SAID from Malaysia in the semi final.

Full results are available at www.abf-online.org

Belmo beat the Malaysian 20mins ago, 188 to 171. He is now in the final and plays Alex Liew from Malaysia. Not sure it is tonight or not but he plays for $20000 US 1st place prize soon.

Still using the Columbia Wrath, nice work!

just had a look and Belmo lost to Liew 165 to 216
$8000 for his efforts well done Belmo

Malaysian bowlers Alex Liew and Wendy Chai emerged as champions of the 2006 ABF Tour ‘Tournament of Champions’ at Jakarta’s Jaya Ancol Bowling Centre in Indonesia last night.

In the women’s division, Wendy Chai spared just three frames and rolled seven strikes to outclass Korea’s Kim Eun Jung in an exciting 248 to 210 match while Australia’s Jason Belmonte uncharacteristically left two open frames in a low-scoring final game that allowed Liew to cruise comfortably to a 216-165 win.

As top seed from the previous round-robin qualifying rounds, Belmonte overcame Fadhel Al Mousawi from Kuwait and Mohd Noer Said from Malaysia in the quarter and semi-final matches to earn his place in the grand final against the winner of the second semi-final between Alex Liew and Qatar’s Abdulla Al Qatan.

“I’m very happy with the way I bowled. “It’s the first time I’ve used Columbia 300 bowling balls since my signing and I’m extremely happy with their performance,” said Belmonte from Singapore this morning on his way home to Australia. “Alex is one of the greatest bowlers to come out of Asia so if I had to lose, I’m happy to lose to someone like Alex,” he added.

Belmonte will compete in the second ranked event on the Australian circuit, the SA Cup, on 27-28 January in Adelaide. He will soon be heading offshore again to compete in what’s billed as the world’s richest amateur bowling tournament - the High Roller in Las Vegas, USA, from 3-10 February.

Full scores, photos and further details on the ABF’s annual ‘Tournament of

Champions’ event can be found at www.abftour.com.

Back
Top Bottom