Belmo leads the way in Kuwait again

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Cozmo Bowling Center in Kuwait City, Kuwait (April 24-28 2008)

Jason Belmonte, Australia, won the qualifying in the 5th Kuwait Open 2008 at Cozmo Bowling Center in Kuwait City with 4119 18-game pinfall and an average of 228.83 to lead 32 players - the top 28 plus the next four local players - into the next round.

Belmonte, left, who led the field of 100 players since day one, had six-game series of 1349, 1459 and 1311. The two-hander rolled the tournament's sole 300 game thus far in his first game.

Trailing Belmonte by 163 pins to sit in second place was Hussain Al Suwaidi with 3956 pins. Mere one pin behind in third place was Martin Larsen, Sweden with 3955. Dominic Barrett, England, was another 10 pins behind in fourth with 3945.

Belmonte's fellow countryman Andrew Frawley (left) posted the highest series of the qualifying on day three (1478) to jump into fifth place with 3937.

Rounding out the top 10 were 6. Sami Konsteri, Finland 7. Tim Mack (right), United States 8. Basel Al Enizy, Kuwait 9. Patrick Healey, United States and 10. Lucas Legnani, Argentina.

2008 ABF Tour Tournament of champions winner Shuk Han Chan, Hong Kong, was the sole woman, who survived the first cut in 20th place with 3678 including 5 pins handicap each game, a 199.33 average.

Josh Blanchard, United States, took the 28th and final qualifying spot with 3598 pinfall total and an average of 199.89.

Bader Nasser Al Omair (39th), Yaqoub Al Shati (43rd), Jassim Darwish (46th) and Dhari Al Bishi (58th) received the four extra spots for local bowlers.

The 32 finalists - 4 from Asia, 5 from America, 8 from Europe and 15 from Arabic countries - will bowl another 8 games to cut to the top 16 for round robin match play: 15 games round robin match play plus position round starting from scratch. 30 pins bonus per win, 10 pins for a tie.

The top 5 will advance to the stepladder finals. The No. 1 seed must be defeated twice to win the title. The winner will walk away with the $25,000 top prize. The top four women will bowl in an extra stepladder final for extra prize money of $7,150.

Good luck mate.........

I read the results as he lost to Martin 202 - 201?
Correct me if I'm wrong. Great effort either way and go Belmo in the Final.

That's funny the site say's that Frawls was beatin by 1 pin 202 - 201.

Either way it's a great result. good luck Belmo in the final.

Sorry guys! I must be going cross-eyed ... yes, Frawls 3rd place and grand-final underway...

lc

Congratulations Belmo, sort of makes up for world masters. Winning 3 out of 5 years is a huge effort as well, well done mate.

Back
Top Bottom