Belmo clinches third Kuwait Open title

elsie

Belmo clinches third Kuwait Open title

Displaying the form that earned Australian Jason Belmonte the 2007 World Bowler of the Year Award, the 24 year-old two-handed bowler captured the champion’s title for the third time at the 5th Kuwait Open 2008 overnight.

A perfect start to this year’s event with a 300 in Game One augured well, and Orange-based Belmonte led the field of 100 international bowlers throughout all three stages of qualifying, posting an average of 224.83 in the first block of 6 games, 234 after the second block, and 228.83 after 18 games.

Going into the round-robin finals as top seed, Belmonte was briefly overtaken by Sweden’s Martin Larsen who shot back to back 279 games in the first Finals block of eight games, but Belmonte responded with a second perfect game in Game 8 and lines of 268, 246, 244, 243, 192, 180, 238 and 264 in the second block, plus bonus points for seven wins, to regain the lead for the stepladder final.

Fellow Aussie, Andrew Frawley slipped to 8th place in the first Finals block, but grittily held on to make the cut and finish 4th for the stepladder final. Frawley overcame Finland’s Sami Konsteri 211-202 in the first match, and went on to eliminate UAE bowler Hussain Al-Suwaidi in the second, 246-202.

In a heart-stopping 202-201 third match, Frawley was ousted by second seed Martin Larsen and denied the unique opportunity of an all-Aussie grand final at the Cozmo Bowling Centre in Kuwait City. Belmo went on to defeat Larsen in a decisive, although low-scoring 182-155 match, scooping the coveted title for a third time in his career.

“I have a great history with this event, winning in ‘ 05 and ‘06 and the format this year is terrific….26 games of qualifying, cut to the top 16, drop the pins, round robin, top 5 making the step ladder,” said Belmonte enthusiastically at the start of the tournament. “I started like a road train, 300, 254, then it got a little fuzzy”, he admitted, but at the end of the second day of qualifying he announced “I really think I can win this tournament!” Tonight’s victory justified his confidence.

Full scores and photo gallery available on the tournament websites – www.kuwaitbowling.com or www.asianbowling.com.

ends

lynne clay

Well done Jason :D:D

although looking at the scores Martin Larsen did not shoot back to back 279 games & the final match was 207-146 ! :p

Great effort Belmo..

You truely are the best Australia has had.

Keep it up mate..

Alan & Jenny

Good grief – there must have been gremlins in the scoring system in Kuwait City …. scores posted last night for the stepladder final match were 182-155, with Jason the champion, and although the outcome is the same, the official scores have now been amended to 207-146. An even more decisive victory for Belmo!

cheers,
lc

Back
Top Bottom