"Baby " John Burgess Info

poppy62

legend in my own lunchbox
Was having a chat about some old time Australian bowlers and the name of "Wheel of Fortune" compare John Burgess came up.
Question is - is there any photos or videos circulating from when he was bowling ??

G'Day,

I will do my best to take a look through some of dad's old Pin Action mags. I know there is a photo of him in one as I pointed it out the the lovely wife a few months ago.

As soon as I find it I will scan it and send it through.

First Aust Masters was 1963. I've always been a bit puzzled in later years about John Burgess being reported as Australia's ( or one of Australia's ) first professional bowlers, etc. Being around and bowling in those early years ( and a tech, and Assistant Manager of a BCH centre ), in fact as my whole life revolved around bowling I thought I either knew, or at least knew of, most of the prominent bowlers around at the time. I had certainly seen him ( and John Laws ) bowling socially - at St Leonards, I think - but he certainly managed to keep a pretty low profile. Anyone else on this forum who was active in bowling at that time, who can correct my ignorance?

Yes they all bowled in the Radio TV league at Bondi Junction Bowl
I was a sub at times for Eric Jang.

Was having a look on tba site there are a couple of photo's in the early years of Rachuig. Check through these I'm sure I recognised John Burgess on the far right hand side.

Was having a look on tba site there are a couple of photo's in the early years of Rachuig. Check through these I'm sure I recognised John Burgess on the far right hand side.

There a list on the site of every Rachuig bowler and what year they've bowled. He's not on the list.

Hi all

This was taken from His Actual Website
One night…in 1959 he was spotted bowling at Enfield Bowl …and was approached to join Brunswick Bowling Equipment Co., He was subsequently involved in establishing tenpin bowling centres in Australia.

This resulted in John being noticed by two talent scouts from Brunswick America. He became a professional bowler playing exhibitions at bowling centre openings, running training programs, selling equipment and bowling in tournaments across Australia….with an average score in 1965 of 217
I havent found any pics though.

Cheers Lyndon.

John Burgess was a quality bowler there is no doubting it - however whatever he did ON the lanes has been eclipsed by the seemingly endless work he has done OFF the lanes since the early 1990's promoting bowling the sport, the business and the games International Olympic ambitions. I couldn't possibly detail here the time and commitment John has given - all for zero reward - it just needs to be said that he is one of those great people mentioned in another recent thread on this site - people who work tirelessly behind the scenes to help bowling.

If you ever run into John Burgess - shake his hand and thank him for his contributions to bowling - he sure deserves it.

Steve Jones

John Burgess was a quality bowler there is no doubting it - however whatever he did ON the lanes has been eclipsed by the seemingly endless work he has done OFF the lanes since the early 1990's promoting bowling the sport, the business and the games International Olympic ambitions. I couldn't possibly detail here the time and commitment John has given - all for zero reward - it just needs to be said that he is one of those great people mentioned in another recent thread on this site - people who work tirelessly behind the scenes to help bowling.

If you ever run into John Burgess - shake his hand and thank him for his contributions to bowling - he sure deserves it.

Steve Jones

Next time I see John I'll shout him some shoe hire. :D

Onya John!

Back
Top Bottom