"Burgo" Talks Bowling on "The Fat"

Tiger

Did any of you guys out there happen to see "The Fat" on Channel 2 (ABC)the other night.
John Burgess "Australia's First Professional Bowler" was invited onto the panel to talk about Tenpin Bowling and why it wasn't an Olympic sport.
The way the fellow panellists slated and demeaned the game of Bowling.....quite frankly....really pissed me off.
I felt like reaching through the TV screen and braining a few of those arrogant, uninformed fat turds.
It really wouldn't have mattered if Burgess said something sensible or not about the game - these clowns wouldn't take it seriously at all.
It makes me realise though that the game definately has an awful long way to go in the mainstreem public's eyes if it is to be taken seriously enough to be made into an Olympic sport.
It could start by an education program of Centre Staffers - to treat Bowling as a sport rather than a "stuff around" by Vodka Cruiser drinking yuppies who treat centres like a toilet - most of them anyway.
REAL BOWLERS make centres tick over - NOT SOCIAL BOWLERS.
That's my GROWL for the week. :evil:

Any Comments?????

Matty,

Yes, I did see the show the other night - I watch it every week. It's a great show that generally pokes fun at everything, that's why they are there! I must admit, as a 'serious' bowler I too was a little annoyed at some of the comments, but took it all in the context of the show!

But also in agreeance with you, bowling has a long way to go to be recognised as a 'sport'!

Hey Scoot :p
Don't worry about that previous post - I was having my period last night - and was a bit grumpy and on the warpath - A few of my favourite beverages tonight (Bottle of Real McCoy and 6 Casade Draught Stubbies) and I'm a happy Tiger :lol: :lol: :lol:
I must admit to watching the show myself a fair bit and yeah you were right about them having a job to do with taking the piss out of everyone for a laugh.
As Sam Kekovitch says - You know it makes sense :wink:

PS: Scoot could you send all the emails to me to [email protected] instead of my old address as I'm trying to shut that one down - thanks dude.
Next I'm in the North I'll catch up with you for a few quiet ones......Cheers Buddy :wink:

in the scope of reality , it is social bowlers that pay the big bucks for bowling, shoe hire, outrageous cafe prices etc, and they do make centres tick over

In the scope of reality you are most probably right there unmarked.....league bowlers aren't silly enough to pay rip-off prices for everything.
Thats probably why the Hobart Tenpin Bowling Association's memebership has gone from:
1982: 1013 members
1984: 1107 members
1985: 1323 members
1991: 1500 members
1992: 1489 members
2001: 478 members :oops:
2002: 500 members :roll:
Houston.......I think we have a problem.

I know that the cost of bowling has also driven people away. Inflation is roughly 2.8-3.4%, however our bowling went up 1.80 last year. Instead of paying 17 we now pay 20, and the rest goes to beef up the social club fund. However we have lost 5 members that i know of bcuz the cost has increased so much over the past 5 years.

Yes Unmarked, you are absolutely right about the pricing causing people to leave the sport.
Having been either a player or spectator at Moonah Bowl since 1977 (Makes me sound bloody old :cry: ) I have known literally hundreds of bowlers that have given the game the flick.
I saddens me to see it happen because these were - on the main - high quality people who loved the game.
I still remember most of the faces - and I see quite a few of them around Hobart City from time to time.
I always stop and have a chat to them and ask wether they will come back to bowling - most say "Nah, I'm not into it anymore"
Key reasons why we lose bowlers are:
1) Pricing
2) Politics/Petty Squabbling.
3) Lack of Interest
4) Shabby treatment of league players.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being a smoker I'm quite often outside the bowl having a choke on a dart.
One thing often astounds me, is the amount of social bowlers who say to me how expensive the game is, what a rip-off it is and, how if it we're cheaper/more affordable that they would consider taking it up.
But "Not at those bloody prices" they say.
They are exactly right......Those who set the prices only have themselves to blame for poor lineages in my opinion.
You are correct when you speak of cafe prices too - I did a quick survey of prices charged for items at Moonah's Cafe, then went to the local Woolworths around the corner and priced them in comparison.
What I found shocked me......you would expect the bowl to bung the price up 20c-40c an item being a large Multi-National Company - but not almost $1-$2 on a fair few items :shock: PURE GREED.
The game will always suffer accordingly until all this is rectified - so expect the game to be on a downhill run for quite a while yet.

Back
Top Bottom