Australia's Greatest Dummy Spit or On-lane Stuff Up?

I once lobbed my ball past the arrows on the last ball of my tournament. Just had it redrilled...i guess the thumb was a little too tight hehehe

Those tight thumbholes can cause trouble when you get cranky.

I once drilled vent holes into all my thumbs to avoid suction lock... All except my spare ball. It had been a very busy month in the pro shop and I just didn't get around to it. Then I went to the Melbourne Tenpin Cup.

This was an especially unsuccessful weekend at the Melbourne Cup. I threw the spare ball in anger at yet another washout. Just plain fast to burn off some frustration. The spare ball locked up, and released at about chest height, my left foot slid 6 inches past the foul line and the dent in the suspended ceiling grid remained until Ed Fleming Lanes closed. The ball didn't get past the arrows when it landed with a resounding bang.

It was like one of those scenes in the westerns where the bad guy walks into the saloon and the piano player stops. Of course, Tournament Director Steve Bell was about 10 feet away. He looked like he didn't know whether to kill me or burst out laughing. I think that the genuine look of horror on my face while walking back (on one foot and a heel to not get oil on the approach while staring at my now-burning thumb) was all that saved me the disgrace of disqualification. Years later he told me it was the second funniest thing he's ever seen as TD.

So, dummy spit or stuff-up? I think it's a clear cut case of a dummy spit fast ball becoming a genuine (ceiling denting) stuff-up! At a Major too! ;)

Cheers,
Jason

p.s. I don't use vent holes in my thumbs any more...

So, dummy spit or stuff-up? I think it's a clear cut case of a dummy spit fast ball becoming a genuine (ceiling denting) stuff-up! At a Major too! ;)
Back in '87/'88 I dislocated my thumb locking up in a spare attempt that did pretty much what you described.
Left a big split and fired it at it, ball never got off the thumb at all and hit the ceiling above 24 and crashed down on the gutter about 15-feet down, bounced up and dropped into and rolled down the mechanic's walkway and crashed into the door.
My thumb was in agony and I was majorly embarrassed as I could feel hundreds of sets of eyes all on me :surrender:
Around the same time or maybe a year after that, Andrew Tylutki (who was a bloody big lad even at 15) threw a light houseball at a split, grabbed hold of the ball too hard and pelted it at it - he sent it one bounce into the masking unit on 23.
I don't think he had his thumb OR fingers in it either, just palmed it down there at full speed.
It was probably the most extraordinary shot I have ever clapped eyes on. :p

Seen a few, thrown a few.
Dont really want to mention names but most people will know who I am talking about. Not that this can be classed as Australias Greatest but the worst I have ever seen was Michael's apponent when he won the World Masters in Malyasia. Pretty poor but I understand, bowling can be frustrating. Made for good television. Not sure if it was all shown.

Another would be SPC 1992 when a certain person lost to Yetti, I have never seen a crowd part so fast to get out of her way. The look on her face said it all.

Amanda

Last year when I was bowling league on a Friday night, I had just lost a game that I could have won, so I decided to rush my shot to finish off the spare shot and call it a night. I'd forgotten that the soles of my new shoes were pretty slippery and I hadn't quite gotten used to them as yet. So, I got up, started my approach pretty fast, got into my slide and...kept going.

I ended up up falling forwards after releasing the ball after slipping over on the lane and was lying down on my chest. I guess you could call it the unsuccessful Machuga flop. Luckily it didn't hurt too much, I didn't really land too awkwardly. Just a bit of a bump on the arm. Not the best way to end the night after bowling 268 and then losing the next 2 games and overall, especially when there's a few social bowlers upstairs :D

Hooroo

Rowey :p

I have been a part of a few stuff-ups. (I have been to the doctors/emergency room, all up 3 times)
1 - In '94 I broke my left thumb bowling (I am a right hander). We were having a presentation day on my junior league at Keon Park. We were having a few fun games things like no-tap, 3-6-9 & buggerizing around. Anyway, the ladie on the mic suggested we all bowl the next frame with opposite hands. To cut a long story short, the ball stuck on my thumb on release and I heard a great snap!!! The ball then continued on it's merry way up to the roof.
2 - I also had a ball dropped on my foot during the Junior Shield in 1997, that crushed a couple of toes.
3 - In 2001, when I was a temporary left hander, I slammed the ball into the ground during a bowl... The only problem was that my 2 fingers were still in the ball (bent backwards at the end joints). I never bowled left handed again.

On a lighter note, not really a major stuff-up or anything, but, when I bowled my 300 at K.P.. On the 12th shot I lost my footing, and thinking I was going to go over the foul line, I struggled to keep it all together, and fell on my butt. Apparantly, I bounced back up faster than I fell, and everyone had a good laugh.

Well I hope this post will bring a smile to some of you, I know I was chuckling just writing this. Ahhh memories, ya gotta love them.

Cheers!

- Jacko

The only stuff up i had that wasn't painful but has had permanent damage, was i went to bowl my shot just as normal and and i know i'm not the only one who has done this, i forgot to take my shoe covers off. i gripped the lane and fell flush on my knees. this was about 6 -7 years ago but even now the feeling just under my knee on my skin will always have very little feeling, kind of like having faint pins and needles forever. I also did this again at my first Vic 150. but doesnt matter, couldn't feel it!

My greatest stuff up was shooting the final frame for a 300, pulled the shot left a Greek Church for a 295. Although i had no physical damage, the damage to my ego will neva heal.

Now I have a dummy spit story to tell! LoL

Just before the new year, I bowled with my neighbour at Manhattan SuperBowl in Mascot. We didnt have any lights on because it was the School Holidays, so I bowled where I imagined the arrows would be. My neighbour is a 105 ave bowler, and he was kicking my arse. It got to the point where he started gettin on my nerves. I went on a rampage where I'd throw my 15lb Immortal Solid with brute force. Probably 40kms an hour. Lucky the music was on and we were at the last set of lanes (23&24). Whilist throwing the ball, i'd yell my head off. Ended up bowling 233, which quadrupled my neighbours score. I havent bowled at MSB since! :p

Another time at AMF Randwick, I bowled with Michael McLaren (or Tickets McLaren as he'd like to be known as). He proceeded to bowl 200 flat as I hit 176. He got cocky, so I finished him off with 222 and he proceeded with 150 odd. He found out the hard way, that I don't take cockiness to well. LoL! Was a barrel of laughs later!

Well, this is just something I've heard from a lot of different people, as my brother was a big dummy spitter, people use to tell me this story. Apparently a WA bowler who is extremely prominent in Australian bowling had a major dummy spit when he was a junior years ago. Rumour has it he was bowling at Rosemount Bowl when he decided enough was enough and proceeded to throw a chair down the lanes. If anyone can verify this story I would appreciate it!

Many years ago I was on the losing side of a play off for 16th place to cut.
I started with a 6 bagger then the 10 pins started sticking & I missed them all to lose by a pin....Enraged !!! I changed in to my shoes went in to the toilet & gave one of the dunny doors an almighty kick !!!! When the door flew open there siiting on the toilet was a guy doing his thing :eek::eek:....The door must have have missed his nose by a mil .... He went nuts & all I could do was apologise.....I left the toilet & once outside could not stop laughing :D:D

Boy did we both get a fright :D:D:D

Many years ago I was on the losing side of a play off for 16th place to cut.
I started with a 6 bagger then the 10 pins started sticking & I missed them all to lose by a pin....Enraged !!! I changed in to my shoes went in to the toilet & gave one of the dunny doors an almighty kick !!!! When the door flew open there siiting on the toilet was a guy doing his thing :eek::eek:....The door must have have missed his nose by a mil .... He went nuts & all I could do was apologise.....I left the toilet & once outside could not stop laughing :D:D
Boy did we both get a fright :D
I s'pose he couldn't have been sitting in a better spot really, having the sh!t frightened out of him and all :p

I know this isn't a dummy spit or an on-lane stuff up, but...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhqtxC6LVl8&feature=related"]YouTube - Survivor China's Chicken Council[/ame]

Imagine how he might react if he had a bowling dummy spit or an on-lane stuff up. This guy gets a thumbs up from me! :D

Hooroo

Rowey :p

Back
Top Bottom