Alcohol at the Jr National Awards Dinner

The Nationals is supposed the pinnacle for a junior bowler and the awards dinner is one of the most anticipated events of the year. I know i certainly enjoyed our 'real' awards dinner when everyone was dressed in suits and formal dresses alot more then the joke that was sea world. I feel sorry for all the guys and girls who have gone out and bought suits and dresses only to find this out.

The Shield dinner should be a no alcohol event, if you are 18 or a parent then i am sure a few hours without a drink won't kill you... Its alot safer than having to contend with underage drinking, especially in an amusement park...

In my mind, they have made a massive error in judgement.

Knowing a couple of people who work for Dreamworld (Macquarie Leisure), they don't want excessive noise (people screaming their lungs out at 100 foot up) late at night. There are people who live near the park that must be taken into consideration.
Lunar Park ran into trouble years ago with the roller coaster, and Dreamworld doesn't want to attract any similar trouble. Thats why they cant have high exposure rides running all hours of the night.
I guess the alcohol situation at many events will prob have to change in the future with the government clamping down hard on certain activities.

It's a junior event and no alcohol should be allowed and i don't care if adults are present. I agree about the rides, they should be open at the completion of the dinner and presentation of awards, otherwise you not going to get the kids of those rides if they are allowed to ride before presentation begins.
This nights, shield, rachuig, youth are specials nights that bowlers enter the history books and should be taken with respect. That means a formal dress and not casual should be appropriate.
Thats my say.
Yep, I agree with you.
I really enjoyed the two dinners I went to, they were some of the most enjoyable "memories" :p I have of my juniors days.
Actually, I can remember when we could drink at these dinners, and without telling any stories or naming names, I can probably understand why they ended up banning it in the finish.
Like I say, not telling stories and not naming names :p
Besides, attitudes seem a lot more serious and conservative these days compared to then. :(

Hopefully TBA will take note of what is being said, but I doubt it, you may find that this was done when AMF put in for the Nationals that the venue would be a "partner". Just why it was kept so secret. who knows. Don't forget that there is an hour drive to and from the venue, some will drive even further. So got to say TBA you have done the juniors proud.

Hi all
I dont know what everyone else is wearing but almost half of my team including myself have gone out and brought dresses and suits for this event and I dont think anyone will just throw that away after spending the money we have and change to boardies and thongs after two weeks notice...
just my opinion!!
missy xo

Solution: come dressed in your beautiful dresses, Bring a chane of clothes if you really want to go on the rides. and leave your stuff with you parents or in a pile together. After you have your beautiful photos then you can get changed. Or you can just stay in your dresses and suits. It was a nice idea to have it a dream world. but not very practical.

A Jnr dinner dance is a very appropriate occassion to get dressed up in fancy clothes and try out your formal dress :p So its ashame that its be made casual.

I think this is a big joke and to who ever is running the show hope they have some good answers and are prepared to suffer the back lash. To me there seems to be no common sense used by these people or thought to travel. Hope this is not how the nationals are going to be run down there then, last minute notice for anything. Please any time TBA step in and sort this crap out.
Its fine to have it at Dreamworld and would be great for the juniors but once again, a bit more notice then 2 weeks as a lot of juniors have already purchased their outfits for the enjoyable night. Considering this event would have been booked months ago and now we get the info as to where this event is being held.
This will be the earliest night for the juniors ending at 9.30 what a disappointment for them, considering they like to let their hair down and relax after a week of bowling.
My opinion and looks like many others as well.:mad:

Okie Dokie.... i just read the events schedule and quite frankly i'm appalled.....
Rounding up what i just read, 3 rides will be open (scary ones) so if you dont like scary rides then your stuffed you just have to watch and yeah WOW thats going to be SO much fun. and well for those who do like the rides, they are only open for an hour....

Then you have to go to the event room for and the presentation of awards. that goes for about an hour.

Tea and Coffee are served.

Then the rest of the awards are presented and then everyone goes home....

Uhhhhh what about the people aging out, dont they get any recognitions and as for the food "munchies"??....

I feel sorry for all the girls and guys who have actually gone and spent alot of money on nice suits and dresses.....

Nice work. i think its ridiculous but hey, whats done is done.

Maybe they should just have the dinner in a Party room at the bowl, and give out free tokens for the games.

Probably be about the same enjoyment level by the sounds of it.

What a monumental stuff up by TBA. More notice would have gone such a long way to have avoided all this.

the time given for everything is not going to work!

10 teams of 14 kids = 140 kids wanting to go one rides....and only one hour to do so??
how many people do these rides hold at once???

im pretty sure last years presentations alone went for two hours!
and the evening finishing around 12...

this was not thought out very well at all

As a parent I don't believe that it matters whether alcohol is at the event or not. Children have been exposed to places that sell and serve alcohol for many years.

What is disappointing is the late notice of the event and the timetable. The night is going to be rushed as everyone needs to be out by 9.30. In previous years the cut off time was midnight.

For a lot of the bowlers this is one of the only opportunities that they have to catch up with friends from other states. It is their logie night and I couldn't imagine that being held at Dreamworld.

It's all to late to organise anything else and I hope that this event is successful but I have my doubts.

this iis john robbie buckleys new little squeeze

i was just wondering if the dress code is formal or casual

thanks ,

John

Knowing a couple of people who work for Dreamworld (Macquarie Leisure), they don't want excessive noise (people screaming their lungs out at 100 foot up) late at night. There are people who live near the park that must be taken into consideration.
Lunar Park ran into trouble years ago with the roller coaster, and Dreamworld doesn't want to attract any similar trouble. Thats why they cant have high exposure rides running all hours of the night.
I guess the alcohol situation at many events will prob have to change in the future with the government clamping down hard on certain activities.
Dunno who your contacts are but I think they need to come up with better excuse.
Screamworld has been going for quite some time and is usually run to after 10 pm (with all rides running).

I just want to say as someone who aged out last year and have been to 4 dinners WHAT A GREAT WAY TO F**K UP A GREAT THING. The dinner is not just about the presentation, its about all the people being able to just have some fun with the other teams. You have a great night dancing and talk to all the people you just played in the previous days. I think that the dinner is a great thing and they seem to have ruined it a bit for the people ageing out.

Michael Cunningham

Dunno who your contacts are but I think they need to come up with better excuse.
Screamworld has been going for quite some time and is usually run to after 10 pm (with all rides running).
Restrictions apply - I was told they can't do it every day of the year. That is why they limit the number of times Screamworld is on, and hope for a full packed out turnout, by accepting bookings months in advance.
BTW. Dreamworld is my favorite theme park because of so much on offer. :)

As a parent I don't believe that it matters whether alcohol is at the event or not. Children have been exposed to places that sell and serve alcohol for many years.

It is against the LAW to serve alcohol to under aged patrons.:mad:

It is against the LAW to serve alcohol to under aged patrons.:mad:

In my 2 years at the shield dinner (one been 18) EVERYONE who asked for alcohol that looked under 21 got asked for ID... LIKE THE LAWS SAYS THEY HAVE TO... people need to get over the fact thats its a underage 'gig'... if they are underage they cant get served alcohol and i known people to try..

Anyway back to the topic

let them have fun.. Even tho TBA have WREAKED another great Tradition, in the form of a formal theme...

Well done tba:mad:

I would like to hear the past shield bowlers about this 'non' formal event

Ashley

This is utterly disgraceful, I mean for the 5 years that I competed in the Jnr Nationals and Presidents Shield, all dinners were smart formal dress. Its a tradition through and through. Why change one of the special nights that we as bowlers get to experience. Dressing up and looking your best is one of the best things about the presentation dinner. I loved seeing everyone get all "dolled up", it makes everyone look like winners. Which is what Jnr Nationals is about.
And I'm sure Barry will not be utterly thrilled about taking pictures of the teams in their bordi's, singlets, tank tops and jeans. Its supposed to be a night about looking your best and having a blast in doing so :)

Please don't change what is one of the most enjoyable parts of what the Jnr Nationals is all about. Trust me, alot arent impressed...

Back
Top Bottom