Alcohol at the Jr National Awards Dinner

wchester

Bowling Tragic
Just saw this event plan on the TBA webpage. Presentation dinner will be held at Dreamworld this year.....and the strangest thing was in the second paragraph.

For those who prefer their feet planted firmly on the ground, soft drinks and orange juice, plus a selection of alcoholic beverages compliment a yummy selection of munchies which will be served as you watch your friends.

:wtf1:

1) If this isn't a misprint, then someone needs to explain their thinking.

2) Whose brilliant idea was it to hold the Awards Presentation Dinner at a location that is so far away from the bowling venues? After all the championships are in Brisbane, not the Gold Coast.

I think it's for the parent's and the very few people that are 18 and competeing at the nationals.

there was alcohol at last years dinner dance as well!

i also think that it has been left to late for teams to be told that the now 'casual dress' event is at dreamworld. so many people have gone all out buying new clothes that now, if worn, may get damaged on rides. teams should have been informed a long time ago!

jess

Considering that the Junior Nationals have been scheduled to be at Mt Gravatt for several months it is most disappointing that a 2 &1/2 hour casual presentation at Dreamworld has been planned - one hour of limited rides only.
There are ten teams of 14 bowlers who have planned and purchased formal outfits to be told, just over one week from travelling to QLD, that their cumulating 'presentation' will be made in ??boardshorts and swimmers as the rides take place prior to the presentation.
What an anticlimax to the highlight of President's Shield
- I can't wait to see the winners' photos
- is there going to be recognition to those 'aging out' ??
- is there a cost to this - if so what is it?
- why do most have to travel to the Gold Coast & back for this 'event' - for those having accommodation in Brisbane they will spend nearly as much time travelling to this as attending it.
- is this going to be a 'free for all' or will there be arranged tables & seating?
- is Events Central a covered area??
I would like to know how long this has been planned for and WHY WEREN'T THE SHIELD TEAMS NOTIFIED BEFORE SPENDING MONEY ON FORMAL ATTIRE. Notification of this possibility 2 months ago would have saved parents a lot of money and time.
Donna
one very dissapointed parent

First of all...

stop whinging!!

if you wanna dress up..... wait for your formal!!!!

i love the idea, only wish they could have done that when i was still in juniors.

Second of all..

who cares about the alcohol. it is for the parents and also should be for the 18 year olds who are competing, but last year i was 18 at the dinner but wasnt allowed.

my point being, alcohol is not legally allowed to be sold to under 18's, and it wont be because im sure dreamworld will have licensed bar tenders!!!

so im sure you will all live ... and im sure it will be a fun night!!!!

First of all...
stop whinging!!
i love the idea, only wish they could have done that when i was still in juniors.

Not a problem if there was adequate notice of the intention to have such a casual event - to announce such an event less than 2 weeks before the start of the Junior Nationals is inappropriate or shows an utter disregard of the bowlers participating - there is enough expense getting there and bowling without spending money on outfits that now cannot be worn as they are totally inappropriate to the venue

First of all...
stop whinging!!

we are not whinging we are just highly annoyed that it is, what, 13 days until the competition and we have only just been told!

i also love the idea of it being at dreamworld, as i have not been, its just hard for those who have spent a couple of hundred of dollars for the evening

jess

We got told on sunday about it being casual dress and pretty much all the girls team has got dresses. Really they should have given more notice not only 2 weeks
Also the fact that the rides are open at the start of the night.. thats ridiculous

We got told on sunday about it being casual dress and pretty much all the girls team has got dresses. Really they should have given more notice not only 2 weeks
Also the fact that the rides are open at the start of the night.. thats ridiculous

Rides are open at the start of the Night thats stupid should be end of the night. The dinner finishes at 9.30 thats really early. So yeah well i might go after all hehe. But again rides are before the dinner strange and you have been all told two weeks before the Nationals start.

I agree with everything that missy89 says.

But uhh.. Yeah, who ever organised the night sounds like a pretty craptacular planner anyways.

according to whats written on the TBA website as published by dreamworld its not even dinner. its saying that its only 'nibbles and drinks'
there have been rumours floating round for the last month but you cant operate on rumours, especially when people are trying to decide whether to buy formal clothes or not. announcing something like this so close to the tournament is just riddiculous. especially when people have gone and bough suits and dresses.
from what the thing says on the TBA website there will be 3 rides open.... and i can tell you these arent cheap (if you want to know the costing of how much it is to hire rides, go to the dreamworld website and look under events at the top of the page, in the Events Central secion)
so whos expected to pay for all this, could mean a rather large ticket price for the presentation
im not saying its a bad thing having it at dreamworld. quite the opposite. i reckon its a great place to have it. my only complaint is that the organisation of this has been rather poor to say the least

i wouldn't have a problem with it being at dreamworld if they had told us like 2months ago not under 2weeks before people leave to go!!! i'm pretty sure all our girls have their dresses i know i have. I think it's pretty poor planning to whoever organized it.

As a mum of a junior who had attended 4 National Junior Awards Dinners all i can say is that you juniors and your parents are getting robbed of a great and memorable evening in my opinion.
Cindy D.

Most of the Junior Nationals over that past 30 years have had ALCOHOL at the Presentation Dinners in which i belive there should be none at all as this is a junior event.
Going back quite a few years ago the Presentation Dinner that was held in Sydney had no ALCOHOL in the room but for those adults that were desperate could go down stairs to the bar area and drink there, it was one of the best Presentation Nights that i have attended and i have attended nearly all over the past 30 years
I remeber when the Nationals were held on the Gold Coast and the Presention Dinner was held at Sea World it was one of the worst diners that i have been to, it was take away food EG: fish,chips,party pies,sausage rolls etc etc, hardly a suitable meal for such a prestige event for which so many of our Juniors who take a lot of time and money getting ready for this event. (even worse then the Canberra one that was held in a tin shed with a mobile catering service and fires in barrels to keep everyone warm).
So i am hoping this dinner will be better then Sea World but reading the itinery and only having 2 1/2 hours for everything I DOUBT IT VERY MUCH.
Bronwyn

I think all should consider themselves lucky they have been told that it is casual dress. In 1998 the Jnr Nationals were held on the Gold Coast and the Pres Shield Dinner Dance was at Seaworld. We werent told until we arrived on the Gold Coast that the DInner was casual dress. 95% of the people that attended still attended in suits and evening dresses as it was a night for the bowlers and they made the most of it as it was their night. But given that this is an 'awards dinner' it should be held in an appropriate reception centre with proper meals not snacks from take away vendors.

ONLY 3 RIDES OPEN????
you have to be kidding!

i have only been to one president shield dinner dance
and that was last year
and it was awesome
good food
good music
good times
finish time...to memory...12ish??? maybe later

this year..
run around trying to get on 3 rides..
nibblies..
presentation..
home???

laura just suggested an after party ;p
i could go with that!

last night of being away should let us be out past our bed times!

It's a junior event and no alcohol should be allowed and i don't care if adults are present. I agree about the rides, they should be open at the completion of the dinner and presentation of awards, otherwise you not going to get the kids of those rides if they are allowed to ride before presentation begins.

This nights, shield, rachuig, youth are specials nights that bowlers enter the history books and should be taken with respect. That means a formal dress and not casual should be appropriate.

Thats my say.

This nights, shield, rachuig, youth are specials nights that bowlers enter the history books and should be taken with respect. That means a formal dress and not casual should be appropriate.
Thats my say.
Absolutely spot on. That was the one thing i was looking forward to with Pres Shield (besides actually bowlign and reoresenting my state) and i only competed once so i missed out on the privelidge that was the awards dinner.

Back
Top Bottom