8pins start for women, did it work?

This is getting off track of topic post, but the financials for the TBA are usually available via the AGM, when making such statements, collecting registration fees and what not and we should be getting more from it, sorry, but $28 dollars or whatever it is, by probably 20-30 or so thousand sanctioned bowlers around the country (if that and somebody correct me if I am off target), doesn't really add up to be a total where you will probably get more than what is currently on offer for your membership, especially after it gets diluted through various channels for other funding purposes. By the way, registration still isn't entirely compulsory unless you want to bowl tournaments, whereby a silver level is required (probably a max of 400 bowlers in the country with silver level). Registration should be compulsory, and you would probably find the TBA would have 6-70 odd thousand sanctioned bowlers in the country. You do the math.

Sure there are plenty of things probably not being done right and not everyone agrees on things, things/directives get lost in translation and over time, but no point bagging out people or making flippant comments without offering an alternative reasonable solution and presenting that solution to people who can make the changes. Same crap, different day, another post, another mob mentality.

If u bowl in a AMF center in QLD u must be a TBA memeber to bowl in league. im not too sure if AMF has made it aus wide (i think they have tho)

This thread is hilarious! Its amazing how some of u lot carry on!

speaking of carry, i think the 8 pin start is a step in the right direction. for every 20 Aussie MALE bowlers that can throw 220+ on a sport shot your would struggle to find 1 female. Sure we have some great female bowlers there's no denying but the numbers speak for themselves.

I was at Caboolture on the weekend. I bowled and also watched the other 3 squads. Watched all of day 2 except the last game and 4 frames or so. The birds bowled great and mostly wouldn't of needed the 8 pins, but maybe they bowled well knowing with the 8 start they might have half a chance at keeping up with the Mick Little/George Frilingos/Sam Cooley caliber bowlers. maybe what the game in this country needs is peoples spirits lifted.

It certainly wont improve if we become as close minded as some of you have become. if you fellas who refuse to bowl in the 8 pin start tourneys dont participate thats fine with me. I'd prefer to not have to share the lanes with that type of human being anyway.

Also, left some grammer surprises in there for you spelling hero's.

Thats how u spell grammer right?

Hi Terry,

You’re not suggesting giving the strongest bowling demographic a leg up. How old do you need to be a senior??

OK ill leave the TBA alone for a while, I can start a TBA kicking thread later on. I think people here are missing the point, We need to start looking after the 2/3 of the bowlers that make up most of the tourneys, George, Sam, Michael and the rest of the guys that make the top 10 will keep coming. The 8 pin rule does not stop disadvantage them. They are elite bowlers. Anybody who says 8 pin is not much of an advantage is wrong, 8pins over 10-16 games of qualifying is a huge amount on a sports pattern....These guys, the ave bowler and ill call myself one, dont get to bowl on these patterns much. We might have a 190-205 ave in league because we bowl on ditches and want to have a go at some tournaments but are face with bowling against female bowlers who ave 200+ and are given 8pins (80pin over 10 games of qualifying) its just not right. Maybe I should put my money where my mouth is and start a tourney for "US" guys...Ill give the ave guy 10 pins on every body else entering the field. How do you think the top girls and guys would like them apples!!!!!!

P.s If you bowl in an AMF centre Australia wide then the rego is compulsory. When the AMF staffer came around to "collect" our registration i ask why and what are the benefits? I was told " I dont know but if you dont do it you are not Allowed to bowl". Ok if that doesnt sound like a dictatorship what does.
Maybe the TBA should at least look at educating their "TAX" collectors.

Anyway because of that, I no longer bowl league. Instead I come down when I want, bowl my 4 or 8 games at a reduce rate with my mates.

P.p.s I knew I said I was not going to bash the TBA but the whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Im sure their are others out there that disagree with the 8pin rule and the way bowling in this country is run...I encourage you to come forward and be heard!

was going to bring that up earlier....wasn't game

It could certainly be worth a try. Why not, I am all for trying anything that could benefit things, at least you know what does and doesn't work. How many seniors do you think would bowl an open event, that already don't?

LOL, Mick you beat me to it. Matt how are the short patterns going to play on lanes that have had a 10-10 ditch for years? The patterns are designed to push bowlers into specific areas, and if the surface of that part of the lane has been destroyed it won't be playable.

I never said the patterns would be playable in every house, simply that they should be laid as is. I understand parts of the lane would be worn out, that will just force players to attack the pattern differently. As we all know, there is no one right way to play any pattern, as different players will need to play differently to suit their shots to maximize carry.

The whole argument about the patterns is that if you advertise a pattern, then lay the damn thing. It's expensive enough for people to go to tournaments with flights hotels excess baggage etc, only to get there and find out the pattern has been adjusted and all of a sudden you don't have the right gear. That is my gripe with te altering of patterns. Either lay the pattern as advertised, or the tournament committee cough up the cash to cover the excess baggage we have wasted on bringing the wrong equipment......

OK ill leave the TBA alone for a while, I can start a TBA kicking thread later on. I think people here are missing the point, We need to start looking after the 2/3 of the bowlers that make up most of the tourneys, George, Sam, Michael and the rest of the guys that make the top 10 will keep coming. The 8 pin rule does not stop disadvantage them. They are elite bowlers. Anybody who says 8 pin is not much of an advantage is wrong, 8pins over 10-16 games of qualifying is a huge amount on a sports pattern....These guys, the ave bowler and ill call myself one, dont get to bowl on these patterns much. We might have a 190-205 ave in league because we bowl on ditches and want to have a go at some tournaments but are face with bowling against female bowlers who ave 200+ and are given 8pins (80pin over 10 games of qualifying) its just not right. Maybe I should put my money where my mouth is and start a tourney for "US" guys...Ill give the ave guy 10 pins on every body else entering the field. How do you think the top girls and guys would like them apples!!!!!!

P.s If you bowl in an AMF centre Australia wide then the rego is compulsory. When the AMF staffer came around to "collect" our registration i ask why and what are the benefits? I was told " I dont know but if you dont do it you are not Allowed to bowl". Ok if that doesnt sound like a dictatorship what does.
Maybe the TBA should at least look at educating their "TAX" collectors.

Anyway because of that, I no longer bowl league. Instead I come down when I want, bowl my 4 or 8 games at a reduce rate with my mates.

P.p.s I knew I said I was not going to bash the TBA but the whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Im sure their are others out there that disagree with the 8pin rule and the way bowling in this country is run...I encourage you to come forward and be heard!

It's not about bashing the TBA, I disagree with a lot of things that happen, however putting posts up here, is almost the equivalent to falling on deaf ears, they rarely have a presence on TB and that is due to TBA bashing over the years, they are in a no win situation, but that is why I guess their website is also a lot better than it used to be and actually lists all the benefits of membership and is actually reasonably well filled with up to date news.

I think you might be shooting the messenger when the staffer came around to fix up memberships? I feel that lack of knowledge could be more symptomatic of AMF and their training procedures rather than anything else. A lot of independant centres however don't require membership to bowl in their leagues. No other sport in this country allows you to play in any form of competition without a membership to some governing body of some kind whether it is state or nationally based. I had to renew my registration for a 6 a side friendly outdoor soccer competition over summer, cost me 4 times a base TBA annual membership and that was just for a summer comp, plus weekly game fees. Don't pay it, don't play, simple as that and that was just so I could participate, not get any benefits out of it. Bowlers can be a big bunch of sooks to be honest, I know everyone should look out for number one, and it is previous incarnations of the TBA that have really fumbled this issue, but the only way things will get better is if everyone is reading from the same book on this issue. Then with some financial backing, I am sure you will see things that most members want like their awards and other things.

In regards to the original topic, I still think the broader issue is getting more numbers on a whole for tournaments. . I agree with you Carl, that we should be investing more grass roots style, however not sure the funding is there to pay for coaches to attend leagues or hold clinics on a weekend to boost fringe players skills to be more competitive. I think it comes down to a funding issue as it would most likely be up to each state and association to cater for, but still a decent idea nonetheless. There is where I was heading with the current membership fee getting diluted through various associations. Not really enough to go around.

Education will always be highly important in anything, the tournament bowling community had a harsh introduction to 3:1 ration conditions and it was poorly presented and handled by those making the decisions many many years ago. There was no education, where the wrongs can be righted is through fine tuning processes like the SBT and NTS squads, but also allowing coaches who participate in these areas to extend their services to the broader tournament bowling community. It will help get some fringe tournament bowlers better up to speed on how to play conditions and give them an insight of just where they can go with the sport.

I believe an issue such as giving 8 pins start to the ladies will become less of an issue. And to say it doesn't affect bowlers like myself is not right either, as there is still a matchplay component to consider for those ladies that make matchplay, not just an overall pinfall consideration.

I still think that there should be a progression through tournament levels, we already have our national tournament schedule and most tournaments use a WTBA pattern of some kind. Each state should have its own little circuit or group of tournaments to give these guys an understanding of how these patterns play in a lower intensity environment, the sports series are a good example. Low cost and cater for a lot of people, personally I would like to see another step up above these that include a two day tournament, at least 2-3 a year in each state. These are my roundabout thoughts for getting what you call the fringe players a little further up to speed to be more competitive (incorporating coaches from SBT to attend tournaments and give a run down prior to each squad on lane conditions and potential ball selection), without the cost factor of travelling around the country until they are ready and feel as though they aren't donating, which in turn over time will help boost entries for all tournaments.

I never said the patterns would be playable in every house, simply that they should be laid as is. I understand parts of the lane would be worn out, that will just force players to attack the pattern differently. As we all know, there is no one right way to play any pattern, as different players will need to play differently to suit their shots to maximize carry.

The whole argument about the patterns is that if you advertise a pattern, then lay the damn thing. It's expensive enough for people to go to tournaments with flights hotels excess baggage etc, only to get there and find out the pattern has been adjusted and all of a sudden you don't have the right gear. That is my gripe with te altering of patterns. Either lay the pattern as advertised, or the tournament committee cough up the cash to cover the excess baggage we have wasted on bringing the wrong equipment......

Matty, it just isn't smart to lay some patterns down on some lane surfaces, Tokyo was rubbish at Tuggeranong (and from what I heard was difficult at Innisfail due to the lane surface), and it wasn't even about finding an area on the lane to use, it was just unplayable to everyone, there wasn't really an avenue of attack, so yes it some cases either that pattern should be adjusted or a different one chosen to better suit the centre. I think the issue in previous times has been choosing patterns from the library and being restricted in choice.

This year at Caboolture, as soon as I saw the scores, I straight up asked what was the go with the pattern and it was a different Tokyo to the previous year, which had more length in the midlane, which in turn probably created that out of bounds area if swinging from inside to out or at least a fade spot if you missed the breakpoint to the right, but also allowed some to get up the edge on it depending on previous bowlers. I know last year I couldn't get it up the edge if I needed to, but this year I could and the edge was about all I had at Tuggeranong a few years back due to their crappy surface.

So I can only take both the centre owner and the tech on their word the pattern was laid as per graph and printout and my own eyes are per ball reaction. So maybe the education I was alluding to above should happen at all tournaments, either prior to travel or at the start in briefings, but to be honest I almost rarely choose my whole equipment selection based on the pattern, but more to cover my backside for other occurances, and maybe have 1-2 ball specific to the advertised pattern. And whilst equipment is half the game these days, gone are the days where people actually adjusted their style, release whatever to suit and not just change to another ball.

I'm the
Matty, it just isn't smart to lay some patterns down on some lane surfaces, Tokyo was rubbish at Tuggeranong (and from what I heard was difficult at Innisfail due to the lane surface), and it wasn't even about finding an area on the lane to use, it was just unplayable to everyone, there wasn't really an avenue of attack, so yes it some cases either that pattern should be adjusted or a different one chosen to better suit the centre. I think the issue in previous times has been choosing patterns from the library and being restricted in choice.

This year at Caboolture, as soon as I saw the scores, I straight up asked what was the go with the pattern and it was a different Tokyo to the previous year, which had more length in the midlane, which in turn probably created that out of bounds area if swinging from inside to out or at least a fade spot if you missed the breakpoint to the right, but also allowed some to get up the edge on it depending on previous bowlers. I know last year I couldn't get it up the edge if I needed to, but this year I could and the edge was about all I had at Tuggeranong a few years back due to their crappy surface.

So I can only take both the centre owner and the tech on their word the pattern was laid as per graph and printout and my own eyes are per ball reaction. So maybe the education I was alluding to above should happen at all tournaments, either prior to travel or at the start in briefings, but to be honest I almost rarely choose my whole equipment selection based on the pattern, but more to cover my backside for other occurances, and maybe have 1-2 ball specific to the advertised pattern. And whilst equipment is half the game these days, gone are the days where people actually adjusted their style, release whatever to suit and not just change to another ball.

Like you mate, I never choose my entire arsenal on the graph, I choose 3 balls plus my plastic and then chuck in a couple of balls I'm comfortable using on a variety of conditions. But not everybody has te same approach. Some guys don't want to fork out another $40-$50 on excess to take more gear over. I know a few people get a little disheartened wen they turn up to a tourney and find out the pattern has changed for whatever reason.....

With apologies for the continued hijacking of this thread, I feel a word of clarification is required regarding registration in Queensland.

Some independant centres are enforcing compulsory membership, whilst others are actively encouraging membership.
The email to the Queensland Board from AMF stated that AMF centres were encouraging bowlers to sign up. The emphasis being on encouraging.

To our knowledge there has been no notification from AMF that membership is now compulsory in Queensland.

If anyone has direct evidence to the contrary the Queensland Board would very much like to see it, as several Independants have signalled that they will only go compulsory when AMF does so.
The question that also beggs to be asked, Is will it be policed, and if so by whom? Centre, League Secretary or Local Association?

If its fair to give all females 8 pins per game in the name of bolstering tournament entries, why not give every bowler with a league average less than 190 the same 8 pins handicap.... surely that will increase numbers by greater amount than only offering females extra incentive to enter.
I still see both proposals as outrageously unfair but if the people here who think the original idea of giving handicap to some and not others as fair in an open tournament, then you should love my idea

Hey, I can fill tournaments if thats what you want.
Try, First time bowlers in open tournament... 8 pins
Juniors bowling an open tournament ... 8 pins
Bowlers not bowled open tournaments in last 12mths ...8 points
Interstate bowlers .... 8 points.
and
junior interstate female bowler, first tournament, 32 points

Better book your squads early....its going to be busy out there

It could certainly be worth a try. Why not, I am all for trying anything that could benefit things, at least you know what does and doesn't work. How many seniors do you think would bowl an open event, that already don't?

I'll take the 8 pins. Only finish 20 pins on ave behind ya then Mick

Here is another idea,
Top 5 finishing get a trophy plus refund their entry and $100 and the rest of the prize fund is divided and drawn out of a hat where every entrant has an equal chance of winning some money..
Five chances to win say $1000 spread over all entrants should increase entries... the only ones you may lose is the guys consistently taking home all the cash at the moment... but think how many new bowlers you could attract...
would increase numbers overall

I'd like to formally apply for the job as Checker...
You know, the person responsible for checking all bowlers applying for the 8 pins are correct gender...

This thread is hilarious! Its amazing how some of u lot carry on!

speaking of carry, i think the 8 pin start is a step in the right direction. for every 20 Aussie MALE bowlers that can throw 220+ on a sport shot your would struggle to find 1 female. Sure we have some great female bowlers there's no denying but the numbers speak for themselves.

I was at Caboolture on the weekend. I bowled and also watched the other 3 squads. Watched all of day 2 except the last game and 4 frames or so. The birds bowled great and mostly wouldn't of needed the 8 pins, but maybe they bowled well knowing with the 8 start they might have half a chance at keeping up with the Mick Little/George Frilingos/Sam Cooley caliber bowlers. maybe what the game in this country needs is peoples spirits lifted.

It certainly wont improve if we become as close minded as some of you have become. if you fellas who refuse to bowl in the 8 pin start tourneys dont participate thats fine with me. I'd prefer to not have to share the lanes with that type of human being anyway.

Also, left some grammer surprises in there for you spelling hero's.

I don't think any spelling has been corrected in this thread, clearly you have come on seeking a reaction of sorts? Go back and check who spelt "grammar" which way so as to mock the right person. I think it's great that more people have come out to discuss the topic at hand, I especially like it when stupid people like yourself come out with dumb "That's how you spell grammer right?" sort of rubbish. It makes the rest of us look smarter by default.

Thats how u spell grammer right?

Back
Top Bottom