300 games.....

Once again Wayne if you had have written it right the first time instead of spanking off the way you do, there would be less thrown back at you.:confused:
Or maybe that is what you like to happen, bit of A.D.D.
Rob

Rob..
Quite often I do speak out, and it's because I have such a passion for the sport of bowling and have something say. My ideas, while logical to me, may not be received very well by the majority of readers here. That's fair enough. No one says you have to agree with anything I write. Isn't that what forums are all about? A few posters in this thread have voiced their agreement with my opinion, yet not one of them has been attacked.

As for the A.D.D. comment, well I can see the humour in that. The fact is, and I'm sure you'll agree. WE ALL POST ON TOTALBOWLING BECAUSE WE WANT OUR WORDS READ BY OTHERS.

i agree todays lane conditions do make it a bit easier to bowl a 300 but the person bowling the ball still has to overcome ten pins (right Hander and the 7 pins for leftys) along with the nerves that go with it. so i think that anyone that bowls one deserves the praise that some bowlers will never do in their lifetime.

A 300 game is what every bowler strives to achieve. Whether it is their first or their tenth.

Today’s equipment has advanced since the days of wooden balls on shellac lanes. But this is the same for every sport that is played across the world. Advancements are made in the technology we use.

What has not changed is the feeling of accomplishment after throwing that elusive twelfth strike and finaly having that 300 game. That feeling of nervousness as you stand on the approach waiting to deliver that final ball. That is priceless.

I waited twenty years for my first 300 game. Thankfully the second came only twenty minutes later.

Rob..
Quite often I do speak out, and it's because I have such a passion for the sport of bowling and have something say. My ideas, while logical to me, may not be received very well by the majority of readers here. That's fair enough. No one says you have to agree with anything I write. Isn't that what forums are all about? A few posters in this thread have voiced their agreement with my opinion, yet not one of them has been attacked.
As for the A.D.D. comment, well I can see the humour in that. The fact is, and I'm sure you'll agree. WE ALL POST ON TOTALBOWLING BECAUSE WE WANT OUR WORDS READ BY OTHERS.

The A.D.D. was in jest, but all I was trying to get across was if you had posted your second post first the reactions would have been totally different.

Unless you were actually looking for reactions.:eek:

Rob

still doesnt excuse you from being a total moron wayne.

as it has been pointed out here by others, sports technology advances in all sports and at the end of the day, human factor is and always will be king. you still have to throw the ball and make 10 12 times in a row.

wether a 300 was bowled 40 years ago or yesterday arvo, it is still a perfect game and nothing, and i mean nothing should be taken away from the achievement.

stupid comments like these you post wayne do nothing but fragment the game we all love and enjoy and i suggest you think before you type in future instead of shooting off offending others.

my previous post opinion still stands and i believfe you should apologise for such lame and pathetic comments.

Thank you Jason. I'll take that on board. In the future I'll just sit back, read the forum, and let the history of this sport fade into the past, only to become a long forgotten memory.

Thank you Jason. I'll take that on board. In the future I'll just sit back, read the forum, and let the history of this sport fade into the past, only to become a long forgotten memory.
Which is what will happen if people who post such ridiculous and pathetic comments like yours are allowed to have some say in the running of our great sport.

still doesnt excuse you from being a total moron wayne.
as it has been pointed out here by others, sports technology advances in all sports and at the end of the day, human factor is and always will be king. you still have to throw the ball and make 10 12 times in a row.
wether a 300 was bowled 40 years ago or yesterday arvo, it is still a perfect game and nothing, and i mean nothing should be taken away from the achievement.
stupid comments like these you post wayne do nothing but fragment the game we all love and enjoy and i suggest you think before you type in future instead of shooting off offending others.
my previous post opinion still stands and i believfe you should apologise for such lame and pathetic comments.
fair go mate
wayne is a bit cutting in his comments but he calls a spade a shovel
sad we live in a world that is so warm and fuzzy where we bag people who call it how it is.

Im a hack but if i get 12 in a row ill get so excited the next 3 suburbs will know about it. But in all fairness the ditches we bowl on today are nothing compared to the true crowns we used to bowl on.

A 300 game is what every bowler strives to achieve. Whether it is their first or their tenth.
Today’s equipment has advanced since the days of wooden balls on shellac lanes. But this is the same for every sport that is played across the world. Advancements are made in the technology we use.
What has not changed is the feeling of accomplishment after throwing that elusive twelfth strike and finaly having that 300 game. That feeling of nervousness as you stand on the approach waiting to deliver that final ball. That is priceless.
I waited twenty years for my first 300 game. Thankfully the second came only twenty minutes later.
yes mate and u were ice cool
it was mad to see u go back to back

Worth a repost. Not sure who originally wrote this, but it's spot on.

Two Bowling Stories, 40 Years Apart.

April 18, 1964 - Lawrence, NY: A scratch bowler steps onto the approach at Falcaro's Lanes. Currently averaging 198, he is one of the best players in the New York area. Last weekend, he won the Eastern Long Island All-Events title with a phenomenal score of 1962 for nine games, a 218 average, the second highest total in the history of the event.

He has the first 9, and every other bowler in the building steps and walks over to watch him bowl the 10th frame. The building is dead silent. He picks up his Manhattan Rubber, the same ball he's thrown for 4 years, drilled with 1/2 ounce of finger weight. A bead of nervous sweat runs down his neck and into the collar of his starched white bowling shirt, the name "Frederickson's Plumbing" sewn across the back. He's only been in the position once before, and he desperately wants his first perfect game.

His first shot goes a little high and trips the 4. Ten in a row. The crowd roars. Should he make an adjustment? He decides to move a half-board left. The next shot goes dead flush. Eleven in a tow and the crowd is really into it now, inching closer and closer to the lanes. Then the crowd swells as first shift bowlers stream out of the bar to watch the action. The people in the back are standing on chairs and benches, straining to get a good view. His teammates don't know what to say or do, afraid of saying the wrong thing or breaking his concentration.

He steps onto the approach one more time, his knees knocking and his hands trembling. He delivers the shot - a little too fast, it comes in light - and for an instant, the 4-5-7 is standing, but the headpin comes off the wall and carries the strike for a 300! He leaps in the air and the crowd explodes. The proprietor call the ABC and the local paper, which has a reporter in the building in 15 minutes. While the hero of the night is interviewed, his teammates buy him a beer and the proprietor ropes off lanes 9 and 10, making sure no one disturbs them before the ABC inspector arrives. He can't wait for the interview to end so he can call his wife.

April 18, 2004 - Plainview, NY: A scratch bowler steps onto the approach at AMF Plainview Lanes. Currently averaging 228, he has the 11th highest average in his league. Two weeks ago, he traveled to the ABC Nationals in Reno, where he shot an all-events total of 1562 for nine games, a 173 average, perplexed by the tough lane conditions he encountered. He is comforted by the fact that he recorded the second highest total on his team, none of whom average less than 220.

He has the first 9. No one in the league, except those bowling with him on lanes 35 and 36, realize that he has a chance to shoot 300. A bowler two pairs to his left kicks the ball return and carries on loudly about the third stoned 9 pin he has left tonight. A bead of sweat runs down his neck and into his Sean John T-shirt, not because he's nervous, but because the air conditioner isn't working. He's attempting to shoot his 21st 300 game.

His first shot goes a little high and trips the 4. Ten in a row. The pressure is now off, because that strike locked up his match point. Should he make an adjustment? He decides to move 4 boards left. The next shot misses 3 boards right but hits the dry track and goes dead flush. The young woman at the desk is now mildly interested. His teammates are joking with him, asking if at least one of this shots in the 10th could hit his target.

He steps onto the approach one more time. He delivers the shot - a little too fast and 5 boards left of his target, it comes in light - and for an instant the 10 pin stands, but a messenger flies across the pin deck and clubs the 10 out for a 300 game! He sheepishly walks back from the foul line, and fully understands when his teammates get on him for gagging and yanking the ball 5 boards. The young lady behind the desk puts a group of open play bowlers on lanes 35 and 36. They give the 300 shooter a dirty look, wondering why he and his buddies are still sitting in the settee area.

He goes up to the league secretary to find out how he did in brackets. Expecting a big payday, he gets pissed when he finds out another bowler shot 300 the last game and tied him. His $400.00 turns out to be only $200.00. The secretary complains that he doesn't need any more paperwork, but our hero tells him not to worry, it's his 3rd 300 of the season and therefore no need to send a form to the local association. He buys a Diet Pepsi from the vending machine, packs up his 6 ball roller and heads home.

As far as I can tell, a forum is open for people to share their opinions. Whats the use of people sharing their opinions if they are going to be put down for it?
I Know I commented on what you said Wayne, but I thought I was pretty neutral about what I said & how I said it. I do, however, believe a lot of people are overreacting WAY too much & should probably lay off. Yeah, a 300 is a 300 & nothing should be taken away from that, but they are a lot easier to shoot today than they were 40 years ago, which is where wayne's point of view stands. From what I've read, I think some people just want an excuse to have an argument, & are totally missing the point.

I have bowled 2 300's a 299, 297 and last week a big choke 296 i would say the more you bowl the harder it gets because people expect you to be able to shoot them all the time lol the bloodly heart and the knees still get ya
i just wish all bowlers could feel what it is like to throw 1

cheers julie

I am sure there are a number of people out there that agree with Wayne, myself included. And i'm sure if Wayne had someone to translate his passion and feelings into the right words people would understand and alot more would agree with him.

There are more and more people out there throwing 300 games - and thats how alot of people like to try and define a bowlers ability these days (especially the younger players). Not by how many times they have won tournaments and how many times they have made a representative team, but by how many 300 games they have bowled. I get much more excited if someone is going to throw 800/3 (they might have actually have had to use their feet or think that night lol).

And its not because people are bowling many 300 games in tournaments either, its because there is a nice comfy shot in their local centre where they have a 'reasonable' amount of area (especially the dry area if they miss to the outside which isnt there when they go to most tournaments). Its interesting to hear when someone has bowled six perfect games for example, even more interesting when you find out that every single one of them is in league in their home centre....

And i think thats what Wayne was eluding to - people forgetting about the 'sport' and the skills which shape our game such as accuracy and versatility - now alot of people are just happy to throw high scores and go home that night... Is it any wonder the same people keep finishing at the pointy end of just about every single tournament we have in this country?????????

Just my thoughts...

Just rumaging through the Guinness Book of World Records and it seems that with nearly every sport in the history of man, records been broken since 1978. I'm sure there has been no less skill, determination or passion involved. We have learnt to use our brains a bit better in creating better technology and brains need to be used to develop skills to use this technology.This is the way of life and the sooner people come to appreciate this the better. I appreciate all results both before and after the invention of the wheel but let's get over it and accept it. I appreciate that my parents had to walk 10 miles each day to get to school and I walked 100 metres but that was then and this is now. Applaud the past and welcome the future. But let's not be critics from the back row in the grandstand.

My two cents worth.

Dozza ;););)

Ive never bowled one myself i chucked back to back 279s at werribee super bowl marathon a few years ago (big choker) but it was huge for me as i finished with a 150 ave. so to throw a 300 is awesome and i love watching it everytime .

A few years back at south pacific moorabin i watched Tim Mac throw a 300 game the first id ever seen and i thought it was ace ,not knowing who he was i asked if it was his first , he laughed and replied with " No mate that was my 56th " i nearly s*#t my pants! But he was still really pumped about it so i guess you could say no matter how many you bowl it is still a big thing .

What used to be a 258 game has now become a 300
They're nice to have, but in actuality they mean very little.

Wow Wayne, didn't you stir up a hornets nest with your comments?

Your first comment about a 258 in years past has become the current day 300 is probably not far from the truth, however your comment that a 300 now means very little was simply not a well thought through statement.

A 300 still means exactly same to anyone who bowls one today as it did in the past. It is still the pinnacle in scoring, it should still be cherished and anyone who bowls one (whether it be their 1st or 101st) should still be very proud of their achievement.

Coverstock technology and lane preparation techniques employed by many centres these days which provides a high scoring 'house shot' are undoubtedly the reason we've seen a massive increase in "perfect" games being rolled these days, but you shouldn't take anything away from the person who bowls one and you can't blame the ball manufacturers. Technology affects many sports... just look at the modern tennis racket, golf club, golf ball, etc, etc.

I think the problem is in the way lanes are prepared. I think the lane conditions (oil pattern, length, quantity) should be made more difficult to combat the technology in modern equipment.

I beleive they do this in golf. Over the years as golf club & ball technology has given golfers more length and control on the fairway, course designers have had to make their course layouts longer and harder. If they did not do this then you would routinely see scores of -20, -30, -40?, -50? after 4 days of tournament play. If anyone watched the recent US Masters (last week) you would know that the tournament was won with a score of -8, with most players struggling to make Par on the last day.

Just my 2 cents (plus GST) worth :)

My 300 came in 2000, in your period Wayne, on wood lanes in Mildura , in a 5 man team in the hardest team comp in Vic, and you want to tell me its worth nothing?

I understand where the game is at, yes is is getting easier (in some places -not at Morwell) which is why it meant and still means so much that i have THAT 300 under my belt, but it will not diminish the felling if i get a few more. I have bowled games that i feel were deserving but not even get close, yet see some awfull games carry for 300's but it just makes me want more.

going back to Wayne's post why would someone who is trying to get on the TBA board and further the game in any way he can, try and belittle the magical 300???

i dont understand it. what would you suggest we do Wayne???
go back to the days of plastic balls and wood lanes with outdated oiling machines and oil???

should manufacturers stop spending money on research and development because there is a small minority out there who think that there are too many 300's being thrown???

maybe we should all have to bowl with the same equipment to make sure everyone has the same chance as we are all using the same technology???

sorry for my late post on this as I have had problems with my computer and wasnt able to post.

I just want to say to anyone that has reached that milestone whether it was 20 minutes ago or 20 years ago, congrats. you still had to throw the ball and you still had to get over the nerves and so on so dont let anyone take that away from you.

just another question for Wayne, when was your last 300???

Adrian.

Robbie Buckley's post sums it up really well. The guy bowled three hundred and supposedly averages in the 220's yet in reality he can't bowl for s*** as when he had to bowl on lanes other than his home ditch he actually learn't how good he really was, and that was not very good at all. Also the total disdain by those around him.

I look at Total Bowling every day and yes there it is another post for someone else bowling a three hundred. If we had a forum like this in Australian bowling's hey day in the late 70's through 80's and early nineties then it would have been a rare post indeed.

Unfortunately the change is not due to improved ability but advantaged equipment. Now the average Joe blow can have a lucky day and bowl 300 however the majority of them couldn't repeat it again if they tried. They also boast massive averages yet put them on a sports condition and they just try to come up with excuses as to why they average about 40 - 50 pins less.

Yes 300 might be a great achievement the first time for any bowler including myself as I am still yet to hit the mark. However it will not mean as much as it would have when I do achieve it now unless all 12 are flush in the eye. It will never be as good as my brothers bowled in 1990 with a purple angle on wooden lanes now will it.

Tell me about a 300 on a sports condition and I will listen and applaud but spare me house 300's as they these days are a dime a dozen.

Let's all be realistic and see Wayne's post for what it was, not a denigration of the actual achievement of the perfect game but the way ball and lane technology has diminished the value of the perfect game for the modern bowler.

Back
Top Bottom