300 games.....

One thing I do not quite understand and will most likely be admonished for is ~

99% of the bowlers posting in this thread that think 300 games are of lesser value than years past, are using gear that is less than 3 years old, why?

I had a bloke come in and bowl over the Xmas break that used to bowl here 20 years ago. His comment was, after bowling on synthetics for the first time, "I wish these synthetic lanes were here in my time".

We can not turn the clock back as the ball, lane and lane machine companies will not allow it.

The mighty dollar has and will always rule.

Rob

Worth a repost. Not sure who originally wrote this, but it's spot on.
Two Bowling Stories, 40 Years Apart.
April 18, 1964 - Lawrence, NY: A scratch bowler steps onto the approach at Falcaro's Lanes. Currently averaging 198, he is one of the best players in the New York area. Last weekend, he won the Eastern Long Island All-Events title with a phenomenal score of 1962 for nine games, a 218 average, the second highest total in the history of the event.
He has the first 9, and every other bowler in the building steps and walks over to watch him bowl the 10th frame. The building is dead silent. He picks up his Manhattan Rubber, the same ball he's thrown for 4 years, drilled with 1/2 ounce of finger weight. A bead of nervous sweat runs down his neck and into the collar of his starched white bowling shirt, the name "Frederickson's Plumbing" sewn across the back. He's only been in the position once before, and he desperately wants his first perfect game.
His first shot goes a little high and trips the 4. Ten in a row. The crowd roars. Should he make an adjustment? He decides to move a half-board left. The next shot goes dead flush. Eleven in a tow and the crowd is really into it now, inching closer and closer to the lanes. Then the crowd swells as first shift bowlers stream out of the bar to watch the action. The people in the back are standing on chairs and benches, straining to get a good view. His teammates don't know what to say or do, afraid of saying the wrong thing or breaking his concentration.
He steps onto the approach one more time, his knees knocking and his hands trembling. He delivers the shot - a little too fast, it comes in light - and for an instant, the 4-5-7 is standing, but the headpin comes off the wall and carries the strike for a 300! He leaps in the air and the crowd explodes. The proprietor call the ABC and the local paper, which has a reporter in the building in 15 minutes. While the hero of the night is interviewed, his teammates buy him a beer and the proprietor ropes off lanes 9 and 10, making sure no one disturbs them before the ABC inspector arrives. He can't wait for the interview to end so he can call his wife.
April 18, 2004 - Plainview, NY: A scratch bowler steps onto the approach at AMF Plainview Lanes. Currently averaging 228, he has the 11th highest average in his league. Two weeks ago, he traveled to the ABC Nationals in Reno, where he shot an all-events total of 1562 for nine games, a 173 average, perplexed by the tough lane conditions he encountered. He is comforted by the fact that he recorded the second highest total on his team, none of whom average less than 220.
He has the first 9. No one in the league, except those bowling with him on lanes 35 and 36, realize that he has a chance to shoot 300. A bowler two pairs to his left kicks the ball return and carries on loudly about the third stoned 9 pin he has left tonight. A bead of sweat runs down his neck and into his Sean John T-shirt, not because he's nervous, but because the air conditioner isn't working. He's attempting to shoot his 21st 300 game.
His first shot goes a little high and trips the 4. Ten in a row. The pressure is now off, because that strike locked up his match point. Should he make an adjustment? He decides to move 4 boards left. The next shot misses 3 boards right but hits the dry track and goes dead flush. The young woman at the desk is now mildly interested. His teammates are joking with him, asking if at least one of this shots in the 10th could hit his target.
He steps onto the approach one more time. He delivers the shot - a little too fast and 5 boards left of his target, it comes in light - and for an instant the 10 pin stands, but a messenger flies across the pin deck and clubs the 10 out for a 300 game! He sheepishly walks back from the foul line, and fully understands when his teammates get on him for gagging and yanking the ball 5 boards. The young lady behind the desk puts a group of open play bowlers on lanes 35 and 36. They give the 300 shooter a dirty look, wondering why he and his buddies are still sitting in the settee area.
He goes up to the league secretary to find out how he did in brackets. Expecting a big payday, he gets pissed when he finds out another bowler shot 300 the last game and tied him. His $400.00 turns out to be only $200.00. The secretary complains that he doesn't need any more paperwork, but our hero tells him not to worry, it's his 3rd 300 of the season and therefore no need to send a form to the local association. He buys a Diet Pepsi from the vending machine, packs up his 6 ball roller and heads home.

Never a truer word written.

About 5 years ago, I had the front eleven in a doubles league, playing 2 board. As I got up and lined up for the 12th, one of my opponents got up on the next lane and bowled just as I did! I asked him what he was up to. His reply? "What do you mean?" Me: "I am trying to shoot a 300 here." Him: "Oh sorry, I didn't realise!"

Another night, I had a 300 the first game, it was announced over the PA. No response, in fact there was no response until I had the front 23. No-one cared and that is the way it has remained to this day. Most people find 300's a bit passe in this day of high scoring.

We probably need 2 categories of 300. League 300 on normal house conditions with lots of area and "elite" 300's, scored on sports compliant patterns which would carry much more merit.

One thing I do not quite understand and will most likely be admonished for is ~
99% of the bowlers posting in this thread that think 300 games are of lesser value than years past, are using gear that is less than 3 years old, why?
For the majority of bowlers, it's all about ego and keeping up with the latest and greatest. The very same reason why people buy new and improved laundry detergent, or just have to have the newest mobile phone and other electronic devices.
For the serious competitor, a new bowling ball rolls much truer and consistantly than one which has 60+ games on it. A high end reactive resin ball lose it grip slightly after 50-60 games and that could mean the difference between wqinning and finishing down in the standings.

We can not turn the clock back as the ball, lane and lane machine companies will not allow it.
Do your bowlers practice more often these days than they did 20 years ago? Bowlers of all abilities used to come in early and throw a line or two before league in order to get a feel for the lanes and provide them with a little bit of an edge over their opponents. It doesn't happen with today's game. All this adds up to lost revenue and a dwindling interest. Long term, this could spell disaster for each and every bowling centre owner in the country.
I'm not saying we should turn back the clock...only that we should re-learn effective ways of building our business for the long term and not give in to doing something simply because the other guy does it.

The mighty dollar has and will always rule.
With the closing of over 20 bowling centres during thie past 4-5 years, where do you think those bowlers have gone? League membership numbers overall are DOWN to under 20,000 'sanctioned' bowlers from a high of around 100,000
I really can't see where laying down an easy condition has helped with keeping bowlers interested. If the results of my research are correct, it all comes to to one common denominator. MONEY!
SIMPLY PUT....BOWLING COSTS TOO MUCH!

Wayne, my views exactly.

Just before the GST was introduced, AMF increased the price of games twice in a matter of months, this meant that the price of games went up 3 times within 6 months, WHY? Were they trying to cash in without people noticing.

Just before AMF sold a few years ago, all Discount Bowling was removed, as an example of this policy, I worked at Mayfield Bowl, Sunday Night after 9 pm there would be a Discount of 3 games for $9.90, they averaged 200 games every Sunday(plus the pinball trade and the Snackbar trade), after it was stopped I don't think the Centre did 200 games in the next 2 years on a Sunday. People like a bargain. Another example, Mackay Bowl had $1 games on Sunday night in 1997, the place was full, hard to get a lane, with League Bowlers practicing as well as Social Bowlers, the Leasee's at the time decided that they would stop it because the Bowlers were'nt practicing at other times, of course they were never full again on Sunday nights and the Bowlers did'nt practice again, as I worked there for a while.

The price of Childrens games used to be half of Adult games, I think that ratio needs to be brought back, as we need the young to start the long road back for the Sport, or we end up being a Fad (Roller Blades, Skate Boards, Yo-Yo's etc etc etc ).

willey

Rob

The story unfortunately is always the same. Used to bowl 20 odd years ago etc. In fact if it wasn't for my Dad getting back into it in the 80's after a 20 year hiatus none of my family would probably bowl now either.

We seriously need to address this issue so we only get a rare bowler extolling their 20 year absence from the sport. WE just cannot afford to lose bowlers if we are to survive as a sport.

AMF: Price rises every year for 20 odd years sometimes twice a year and then the sale and discounting stopped completely. You tell me who is going to practice properly at $5.50 per game now seriously. All I can say is thank god for independants if it wasn't for them it would have been RIP bowling in this country.

As to using latest equipment: You use what is available to use in your era. I'm sure if rubber was still the rage then we would still be using Manhattan Rubber's but that's progress.

I honestly think that anyone who hasn't thrown one can't really come on here and say it means nothing. How would you know until you actually throw one?

I have never thrown one but have come extremely close on a number of occasions, and I can tell you that on one of those occasions where I threw the front 10 solid and stood up and threw my best shot in the 11th only to see a dead flush 8pin staring back at me, 300 will definately mean something to me at least.

The only way to solve this problem is to regulate lane conditions at a centre and league level. Until that happens, everyone can complain all they like about these so-called "good old days", but nothing will change until TBA does something about it!!!!!!! They still weigh balls and pins for an honour score, how about submitting a lane condition print out with the form too!!!

Well i bowled my first 300 when i was 15 my second when i was 18 and third when i was 21. Im now 27 and definitley dont find it any easier than it was. Just because technology has improved you still must put the ball in the corresct spot and also i beleive speed is still the most critical part of your shot. Its still one of my greatest achievments in life. To have people say that they dont mean nothing well go back under that rock where you belong.

Deano

Ok, I know this is a little off topic but Wayne, Frank, Terry and anyone else who cares to, please tell me what you think a fair game rate would be. Social, practise and League rates, adult and junior rates.

Whilst doing this though please do not forget all the overheads ~ wages, power, insurances, rates, parts, tax etc.

Should be interesting respones and reasoning.

Rob

Ok, I know this is a little off topic but Wayne, Frank, Terry and anyone else who cares to, please tell me what you think a fair game rate would be. Social, practise and League rates, adult and junior rates.
Whilst doing this though please do not forget all the overheads ~ wages, power, insurances, rates, parts, tax etc.
Rob
What if the center your in doesnt pay much, or replace parts with new ones but still charges the same?;)

Rob

Since I'm not a bowling centre owner, I don't have access to the fixed costs such as power, rent, rates, insurance etc. What i do know is that $10 for one game of bowling is over the top, not to mention AMF's outrageous pricing structure.

I believe that it shouldn't matter to a bowl owner HOW he gets the money out of a customer's pocket, but only that the customer leaves the centre feeling they received good value for their buck. When a family of four (non league bowlers) comes into the bowl and asks to bowl two games, do you really feel good about yourself when you have to tell them that it will cost between $70-$80 for 90 minutes of bowling fun? Do you really think they'll go home and tell all their friends what a great deal bowling is?

I'd just as soon see a family of four spend $50 on two games of open play and another $30 in my restaurant and video game room etc. Do you own your vending machines, video games, pinballs, restaurant etc? A centre owner must utilise everything in their bowl in order to maximize his profits, while still providing an well rounded experience. for their customers.

Bowlrig, as One Industry Leader in America once said, there is "Nothing More Expensive in A Bowling Centre Than an Empty Lane".

I started in the industry 40 years ago at the Bottom of the Cycle, after the 1966 Recession, when Brunswick decided to pull out of Australia. I believe the price was too high then, but it did'nt rise for quite a few years, than the People started to return and an upward spiral started till the mid 80's.

From memory, 1969 50c per game Adults, 25c a game Children, 25c a game Staff, from what I was told those were the Prices when the Centres first opened. When I worked at Liverpool Bowl in 1982 Staff paid 75c a Game, Adults were around $2 plus, 1990, average Price per Game at Bennetts Green was $4 per Game. So far we see a difference of $3.50 a Game in 20 years, I left Bennetts in 1998 the price had just hit $6 a Game Adults, I returned 18 months later and Bennetts had a big Sign over the Counter with 1 Game $8.40, Wow! I could'nt believe it had risen so fast and why you would try to Scare away Customers with a Sign like that made me wonder.

I left working in Bowling Centres in 2005 still Earning the same rate of Pay I earned in 1990, so it was'nt the Wage Costs the problem.

Now over $15 a Game they want empty Lanes.

willey

I left working in Bowling Centres in 2005 still Earning the same rate of Pay I earned in 1990, so it was'nt the Wage Costs the problem.
willey

I think that not one pay rise in 15 years is a bit rough. Either you should have asked or you were happy with what you were getting.

Rob

They still weigh balls and pins for an honour score, how about submitting a lane condition print out with the form too!!!

Because not every center uses a kegel, or a silver bullet, or any other computerised oiling machine. Good luck trying to get a print out of our wick n' shim machine.

[edit]

As for pricing, I agree. Way over the top. Our center is probably very cheap compared to other centers, but we are in the middle of no where. At the moment we charge $12.50 for 2 games adults AND children, it's our holiday special. Normally we charge $8.50 for a child & $10.00 or so for an adult, an extra $5.00 if they want another game, & $4.00 per game after that. I guess it adds up in the end.
Maybe AMF need to take a new view on making profit by numbers - cheaper prices = more customers = better word of mouth publicity = even more customers = more word of mouth publicity = a lot more profit.

As for the overheads, etc, our center has 14 lanes, & they can afford to pay rates, etc with extra left over. If you're running 32 lanes or so, it may be a different story.

Just in reply to waynes comment...that the lanes and our bowling balls have improved ect. Yes that is true, however with new bowling balls, different lane conditions comes challanges. When you start looking at high performance balls such as an Ebonite Nvs which can hook massively. Try controlling one on dry lanes. just doesnt happen. The closest ive ever come is a 289. I dont care how many 300's you have bowled. Its still exciting when you start to string 4 or more strikes together. Even though i didnt manage to reach the 300. I was still so excited about bowling a 289. Dont take peoples happyness about bowling a perfect game away wayne. You might think that its not a big achievement but many others do.

well after 18 years of bowling i got my first 300 a few weeks ago. the feeling you get after you bowl the last shot is amazing, and you cant help but glow. im sure the next one will feel just the same

Because not every center uses a kegel, or a silver bullet, or any other computerised oiling machine. Good luck trying to get a print out of our wick n' shim machine.

OK so how about doing it "old school" for those centres and actually measuring the condition off the lane using tape and a reader at 15ft.. 25ft..35ft? (the same way patterns are verified now?)

Not having a computer program and a new lane maintainence machine is not an excuse.

Bowlrig, you are right I did try for pay rises, in 1990 I was a Backend Supervisor(now Facilities Manager, lol.) I supervised 5 Centres, with Steve Mackie as my Regional Manager, but as anyone who works for AMF will tell you things change often, my job became redundant( Roy did'nt think they were needed ). So I went 6 years without a pay rise, it was hard to get my Manager to get me one, when I was earning more than Her. Eventually I got one, they told me I would get 2.5% increase but this turned out to be only 2%, I left in 1998 with one more pay rise.

After 18 months I returned to AMF with the promise I would recieve the same rate of pay, that I was on when I left but alas I did'nt recieve that rate but I was happy at the time to just have a job, so I did'nt make waves, than the Centre I was in was sold by AMF, not long after I started my own Business.

willey

OK so how about doing it "old school" for those centres and actually measuring the condition off the lane using tape and a reader at 15ft.. 25ft..35ft? (the same way patterns are verified now?)
Not having a computer program and a new lane maintainence machine is not an excuse.

Neither is an easy condition the reason for bowling a 300 - pattern has no binding on making the right decisions, nor hitting your target 12 times in a row, & actually have an identical or near to identical shot, 12 times in a row, resulting in strikes.
If the increased rate of 300's was helped a lot purely by lane conditioning, I do not understand why our center had more 300's bowled on it with an oil length of 20 buffed to 28, with urothane equipment, compared to nowadays with 35 foot oil buffed to 40, & a range of high powered reactive resin balls.
If lane conditioning is going to become part of a 300 honor score, why not add in the type of ball they used? Or the type of release?

"My 300 is better than yours because I used a storm ball, & you didn't."
"My 300 was better than yours because I bowled it 2 handed & you didn't."
"My 300 was better than yours because it was bowled over 3rd arrow, & yours was over 1st arrow." <--- the only difference between a harder condition & an easier condition is purely choice of line, choice of equipment, & how you adjust ball speed, lift, timing, & accuracy.

Neither is an easy condition the reason for bowling a 300 - pattern has no binding on making the right decisions, nor hitting your target 12 times in a row, & actually have an identical or near to identical shot, 12 times in a row, resulting in strikes.
If the increased rate of 300's was helped a lot purely by lane conditioning, I do not understand why our center had more 300's bowled on it with an oil length of 20 buffed to 28, with urothane equipment, compared to nowadays with 35 foot oil buffed to 40, & a range of high powered reactive resin balls.
If lane conditioning is going to become part of a 300 honor score, why not add in the type of ball they used? Or the type of release?
"My 300 was better than yours because it was bowled over 3rd arrow, & yours was over 1st arrow." <--- the only difference between a harder condition & an easier condition is purely choice of line, choice of equipment, & how you adjust ball speed, lift, timing, & accuracy.

Getting back to the original theme of this string...
There are many reasons why one bowling centre produces more 300s than another centre.. Age and condition of the wooden lanes, kickbacks, pindecks or type of sythetics are major factors along with the oil pattern and choice of equipment.

No longer is it necessary to hit your mark 12 times in a row or to throw the ball with close to the same speed and release 12 times to score a 300 game. The game has become bastardised by the ruling bodies of our sport. What was once a challenge, has now become a common occurance.

Hitting the pocket has never been the challenge in the game, It's always been a matter of carry. The statistics show the real problem. Add in the changing lane surfaces on which the game is played, along with the advances in oiling machine technology and what we are now facing is a game in which achieving the ultimate score is exponentially easier to reach today than is was 10, 20, 30 or 40 years ago. In 2006 the frequency of a 300 game was approximately 1/1,500 games. 35 years ago when plastic bowling balls first came into favour, the odds of shooting a 300 game were an astounding 1/176,268 games. Maybe this STATISTIC (1949 to 2002 Honor 300, 299, 800 honor scores) will help. This is from the ABC/USBC in the USA

Year - Members - 300's - 299's - 800's
1949-50 - 1,417,000 - 219 - 121 - nr
1950-51 - 1,430,000 - 206 - 112 - nr
1951-52 - 1,482,000 - 225 - 127 - Nr
1952-53 - 1,569,000 - 198 - 123 - Nr
1953-54 - 1,651,000 - 242 - 160 - Nr
1954-55 - 1,741,000 - 232 - 121 - Nr
1955-56 - 1,929,000 - 270 - 159 - Nr
1956-57 - 2,225,000 - 302 - 146 - Nr
1957-58 - 2,500,000 - 347 - 231 - Nr
1958-59 - 3,000,000 - 426 - 271 - Nr
1959-60 - 3,500,000 - 582 - 338 - Nr
1960-61 - 4,000,000 - 636 - 406 - Nr
1961-62 - 4,275,000 - 648 - 484 - Nr
1962-63 - 4,500,000 - 790 - 501 - Nr
1963-64 - 4,575,000 - 826 - 513- 45
1964-65 - 4,550,000 - 769 - 567 -57
1965-66 - 4,375,000 - 783 - 504 - 44
1966-67 - 4,250,000 - 761 - 523 - 62
1967-68 - 4,200,000 - 815 - 535 - 78
1968-69 - 4,150,000 - 905 - 543 - 61
1969-70 - 4,100,000 - 854 - 571- 91
1970-71 - 4,000,000 - 985 - 609 - 94
plastic balls became popular
1971-72 - 4,100,000 - 1,163 - 659 - 126
1972-73 - 4,150,000 - 1,178 -690 - 138
1973-74 - 4,200,000 - 1,377 - 817 - 202
1974-75 - 4,300,000 - 1,606 - 918 - 236
1975-76 - 4,500,000 - 1,913 - 1,029 - 304
1976-77 - 4,583,000 - 1,375 - 882- 197
1977-78 - 4,727,000 - 1,912 - 997- 277
1978-79 - 4,777,000 - 3,426 - 1,748- 723
urethane balls introduced during late 1979
1979-80 - 4,799,195 - 5,373 - 2,596 - 1,032
1980-81 - 4,755,756 - 5,549 - 2,764 - 1,041
1981-82 - 4,685,036 - 5,949 - 2,973 - 1,197
1982-83 - 4,556,907 - 6,030 - 3,063 - 1,169
1983-84 - 3,791,081 - 6,447 - 3,092 - 1,234
1984-85 - 3,656,928 - 6,978 - 3,367 - 1,359
1985-86 - 3,624,575 - 6,467 - 3,066 - 1,158
1986-87 - 3,424,205 - 8,368 - 3,840 - 1,599
1987-88 - 3,313,491 - 9,901 - 4,345 - 1,981
1988-89 - 3,165,471 - 10,733 - 4,917 - 2,121
1989-90 - 3,036,907 - 12,766 - 5,848 - 2,628
1990-91 - 2,922,829 - 14,192 - 6,362 - 2,922
1991-92 - 2,712,987 - 14,889 - 6,681 - 3,099
resin balls first introduced in 1991
1992-93 - 2,576,809 - 20,542 - 9,080 - 4,606
1993-94 - 2,454,742 - 25,387 - 11,444 - 5,521
1994-95 - 2,370,190 - 29,032 - 12,913 - 6,296
1995-96 - 2,261,469 - 30,630 - 13,678 - 6,619
1996-97 - 2,135,126 - 33,276 - 14,769 - 7,182
1997-98 - 2,026,686 - 34,217 - 14,983 - 7,793
1998-99 - 1,936,648 - 34,470 - 15,301 - 8,043
1999-00 - 1,866,023 - 39,470 - 17,133 - 10,318
2000-01 - 1,767,096 - 41,303 - 17,858 - 11,519
2001-02 - 1,694,248 - 42,163 - 18,083 - 12,028
2002-03 - 1,635.316 - 44,937 - 18,765 - 12,911
2003-04 - 1,578,374 - 46,272 - 19,119 - 14,345
2004-05 - 1,485,677 - 48,674 - 20,289 - 15,348
2005-06 - n/a - 56,212 - 23,027 - 17,612
2006-07 - n/a - 51,557 - 21,416 - 16,635

The difference is that bowling balls at least have some restrictions. League and centre lane conditions have no restrictions whatsoever. By laying 15:1 patterns you don't need to hit your target 12 times, heck you don't even have to come within 10 boards sometimes these days.

It could be in your centre that the balls people are using have outstripped the conditions being laid (ie, people buying the latest and greatest equipment and the conditions just don't warrant using them).. I don't know your centre but maybe there's not the number of bowlers at that level these days? I don't know why your centre is recording less now than before.

But you can't tell me soft lane conditions aren't a huge issue. I was watching the US Open on Foxtel the other night and it was clear how much of an emphasis there was on actually rolling the ball. I watch league here and know myself, the lane conditions here do not encourage rolling the ball properly. Here, less is definately more.

Back
Top Bottom