2014 Nationals

Not many

Also it is about location in terms of the facilities on offer
Pretty hard to beat the set up at Rooty Hill, IMO

AMF Moonah has the location.

500m down the road is the Martin Cash Motel... modest sized rooms... Without a drug bust for at least a year.

McDonalds in-between there and the centre, as well as a "Cat'n'Dog" Diner for all you can eat Chinese cuisine.

Strategically placed poles on the approaches (just ask Chinner)

Hobart has it all... including the chance of snow, or 30* days in Oct.

However, the atmosphere would be awesome... Even Rachuig had crowds back in 2006

It is not about Sydneysiders not wanting to travel It is about where should THE event of the year be held
and In my opinion it should be in the Cities that have the numbers who will attend to support the event and
that is Melbourne Sydney and Gold Coast/ Brisbane

Biggest results for entries have been at those locations

Actually, it is. Why do you think the numbers are down when the event is away from NSW/Vic? It is because those states WON'T travel. But then again, I guess I am (like always) bashing my head against a brick wall because unless something is done to assist those who have to travel long distances, especially the West Australians and Northern Territorians then the numbers at the Nationals will always unfairly favour the Sydney/Melbourne bowlers.

I dont know Brenton,

2010 Rooty Hill, New Zealand winners
2011 Rooty Hill, New Zealand winners
2012 Rooty Hill, Western Australia winners

NSW cant win on there own dung heap. Youd think theyd be looking for somewhere different to give themselves a chance of winning again.

Townsville 2003 had the highest number of games bowled in the last 10 years at a Nationals other than Rooty Hill with the $100K carrot. Despite WA and several other teams not attending this year we still did nearly 12,000 games.
I'd much rather go to Perth or Adelaide than Sydney. Part of going to Nats is the chance at a break and a look at new places. Not interested in exploring downtown Parramatta once again after 3 years of juniors there.
Hobart was a great year. Except for the snow in the carpark lol.

12K x $5 lineage would be $60K towards yearly rent on a bowling centre which was run by a non-profit Sporting group who could also hold many National Ratings Tournament events and coaching clinics throughout the year, this in addition to running a licences club and bowling centre open to the public.
Privately owned businesses who are hugely disadvantaged compared to a Sporting Organisation manage to run bowling centres successfully, yet the elected officials, past and present, of TBA have continually failed to see that taking the Sport's destiny into their own hands is the most logical course of action for the Sport.
If the board of TBA had a National Bowling Centre which was also a licences club, imagine how much better the Sport could be showcased and promoted as well as being able to subsidise travel expenses for interstate rep teams. The Offices of TBA could be housed within the Club premises, along with National coaching programs etc.
Seems like a no brainer to me, but obviously I'm alone in thinking this way.
Sorry, I tried not to comment, but unable to resist.

It is not about Sydneysiders not wanting to travel It is about where should THE event of the year be held
and In my opinion it should be in the Cities that have the numbers who will attend to support the event and
that is Melbourne Sydney and Gold Coast/ Brisbane

Biggest results for entries have been at those locations
Geoff please take the Gold Coast out of your equation there is not a centre here on the Gold Coast that could satisfactorily host this event.

Geoff please take the Gold Coast out of your equation there is not a centre here on the Gold Coast that could satisfactorily host this event.

Isn't the centre at Robina a nice big, new centre? Being on the Gold Coast & not that far from Surfers, I'd imagine Robina wouldn't be a bad venue for the nationals at some point.

Apart from no ball park no meeting/tournament rooms, no pro shop and incredibly inaccessible parking, it's perfect....

Not many

Also it is about location in terms of the facilities on offer
Pretty hard to beat the set up at Rooty Hill, IMO

Rooty Hill is convenient but still pretty pricey if you think about it. Novotel charge a lot for a room which you hardly spend any time in. I stayed there once and the year after decided no, I can hire a motel room and a car for cheaper.

Who really cares where the location is for nationals, if people love this sport as much as they say they do, then they will pay the money to travel and support it. If business and sporting organisations see that Tenpin Bowling has a high attendance rate then there is a good chance they will sponsor the event and raise our prize fund.

As I have said many many times before, you can get cheap flights if you book in advance. Right now Jetstar have a heap of cheap tickets. Yes for some of the other ranked events, it is a risk in case the tournament gets cancelled but for something like Nationals, it isnt going to get cancelled.

12K x $5 lineage would be $60K towards yearly rent on a bowling centre which was run by a non-profit Sporting group who could also hold many National Ratings Tournament events and coaching clinics throughout the year, this in addition to running a licences club and bowling centre open to the public.
Privately owned businesses who are hugely disadvantaged compared to a Sporting Organisation manage to run bowling centres successfully, yet the elected officials, past and present, of TBA have continually failed to see that taking the Sport's destiny into their own hands is the most logical course of action for the Sport.
If the board of TBA had a National Bowling Centre which was also a licences club, imagine how much better the Sport could be showcased and promoted as well as being able to subsidise travel expenses for interstate rep teams. The Offices of TBA could be housed within the Club premises, along with National coaching programs etc.

Actually you're not alone in your thinking. Queensland has been offered a Centre to take over and run as a State controlled operation. This applied to the business but not the real estate. The Centre is well run by a very professional owner and reasonably located. I believe the offer is still open, however To date and to my knowledge this offer has not been taken up.
Certainly it might not be suitable as a National headquarters as it only has 18 lanes but it would be a start.
Both Queensland State and the National Office could move their operations there and use it as a training centre in addition to the well established leagues. However so far it seems too bold a move to consider.....

Apart from no ball park no meeting/tournament rooms, no pro shop and incredibly inaccessible parking, it's perfect....

Fair enough. I've not been to the Robina centre, I just remembered someone here, in another thread, talked about Robina being a possibility for nationals.

Fair enough. I've not been to the Robina centre, I just remembered someone here, in another thread, talked about Robina being a possibility for nationals.

That would from one of Robinas fanboys. They're really good bowlers there, huge averages........

Of course it's a 'no-brainer'.
Not like other sporting bodies don't do it successfully either - they do, so there are plenty of examples to look at. I suggested it to the ATBC in the early '90s. However we need entrepreneurs not bureaucrats tied to a Government body- ( Institute of Sport )

I am based at robina and would love nothing more than to see a nats in my home centre. However, the major issues are as mr shinnie has pointed out. There is no meeting room space. No pro shop facility. There is a drill press and plugging that can be done down the back but I don't think there is a ball spinner but I do have one. The parking is not great but ok for in a massive complex of shops. It does have great lanes 24 total, and is modern. So there are pros and cons but I could not picture it happening but really would love it to. Mt gravatt is best placed in my opinion to host up in south east qld.

Wow... Robina can't sell or drill you a ball if you walk in off the street?

Edit- sorry I sound surprised. That's because I knew robina was new and absolutely expected it to have a pros shop and press at minimum

Back
Top Bottom