2 handed vs. 1 handed?

There has been a lot of comment on this thread regarding injury and 2 handed bowling, so here's a little insight into Belmo's early days.

The greatest concern I had for Jase as he was growing up was what longevity he would get out of his unique style, because he was always suffering from what I thought to be strained stomach muscles, not back problems and I'm talking 5-12 years of age.
He would often (very often) grab his right side and bend over like someone suffering an appendicitis attack. I hoped that with time he would develop the strength to overcome this physical shortcoming in his game and as he said in an earlier post, his game does require great strength.
So anyone trying this technique for the first time be aware that you may experience twinges in areas you do not expect and just remember ,Belmo is doing what comes naturally !

So anyone trying this technique for the first time be aware that you may experience twinges in areas you do not expect and just remember ,Belmo is doing what comes naturally !
I had actually been a little nervous about this myself, with the CO state tournament in 3 weeks and my trip to the USBC Nationals the first week in June (I had also been wondering if it may throw my current game off - and that's already bad enough as it is:)). Based on your comments here I'm going to postpone my trying this technique until after those events. Thanks,

well i tried out the 2 handed approach today! hmmm... it was a lot trickier then i had imagined in my head! LOL!

first time i threw it straight into the ground... got 2 nice little bumps on the top of my fingers now! but i did throw 1 shot that went down nicely and hooked in for a strike!

i did find that i needed to get down a lot further on release... and im 6'2".

i will keep working on it... i just really like the idea that you dont need to put your thumb in the ball with 2 handed...

ps. not sure if i am releasing the ball correctly or if im just not used to hearing a ball going down the lane spinning? but i did notice that i often could hear slight bumping noise as if it was flicking across the boards on the lane...? is it possible i am not releasing correctly and it is spinning across the holes?

That bumping is more likely your rolling over its thumb hole or finger holes. For two handers, I can't offer any form of intelligence to this as I don't know the release very well.

okay... well where is the axis that its supposed to spin on then? i was under the impression that the spin comes from the finger tips... if you flick up with your finger tips then i would have thought that it is going to spin along the axis where the holes are...

this is something i am still unclear on...

the ball you're using is drilled for a conventional one handed shot....when you throw a two handed shot, the ball starts rolling in a different spot and tracks right over the thumb. When I first started, this used to happen to me.

It doesn't mean you're throwing it wrong, it's just the ball's not drilled for that type of shot, thats all.

If you run your fingers up the back of the ball, applying what we call a 'full forward roll', the ball should track just beside the finger holes to the left and a bit further outside the thumb on the left.

awh crap... so if im gonna bowl 2 handed then i need to get it drilled for that? problem is im still figuring out which style i wanna use!

I tried the 2 handed style tonight as well and i think i might stick to it. Not that easy but i enjoyed it.

I don't think its particular on the grip that is drilled, if it was because the ball is conventional, then hypothetically it would mean the track would roll somewhat close to full, & in between the fingers & thumb when drilled finger tip.

From what I've gathered, you're just trying to put too much force on the ball, & creating an awkward roll by keeping your fingers in the ball too long... I'm not sure. I know that for a 1 hander, an inverted axis tilt can be created by the fingers (& / or thumb?) being in the ball too long, whilst trying to rip the cover off the ball. (in turn, creating an awful track)

At this point, I'd be inclined to get as comfortable as I can at the foul line, see if you can get a consistent release. The roll of the ball isn't going to mean much right now. Try to get a consistent shot going.

If you decide to change, that's when you can think about new ball drillings and trying to get the ball rolling right.

okay cool... sounds good people :)

at the moment i really like the idea of 2 handed and its the first time i have actually hooked the ball properly and cos i dont need to put my thumb in the ball... everytime i ball 1 handed i rub the left side of my thumb and it wont hook properly!

my only concern with 2 handed is if it could become a problem because of my height (6'2") and having to bend down more so? how tall are some of the other 2 handed bowlers?

i'm only 5'8" or so...can't help there, sorry!

use your knees more to get to the lane, but no need to get that far down....throwing it from higher up can help you! if you have the correct technique, then height could be an advantage.

you only have to bend as far as you normally would with the one hand shot.

I agree. Slayer, you should use your height to your advantage. You should be able to gain a lot more leverage than someone who is shorter with your height.
Getting low is about feeling comfortable, to a degree. Like emmtee said earlier, concentrate on getting a consistant shot before fine-tuning your technique. Worrying about too many things at once will just degrade your shot.

Also, if you're rubbing your thumb with your one handed shot, it usually means that you're drilling isn't quite right. Usually when a bowlers thumb rubs on the hole, it means they are bending thier thumb to hold on to the ball. If your thumb hole is drilled correctly, you shouldn't need to grab with your thumb.

The trick is to purposely try to scrape your thumbnail along the back of the hole as you release the ball.

Also a little perfect slide (you know, the powder you put on your shoes to slide with?) on the back (nail side) of your thumb works wonders if your thumb rubs. It helps keep your thumb slippery and it also polishes and smooths the inside of your thumb hole at the same time.

Just remember that it has to go on the back of your thumb, the side with the nail, and don't use heaps, just a little bit..

i'm only 5'8" or so...can't help there, sorry!

That is when he is wearing high soled shoes :D

My take on the debate.

Throw the ball the way it feels the best. If throwing it 2 handed will keep you enjoying yourself, do it. If you want to learn to throw the ball well 1 handed, get a coach.

All the best.

the ball you're using is drilled for a conventional one handed shot....when you throw a two handed shot, the ball starts rolling in a different spot and tracks right over the thumb. When I first started, this used to happen to me.
It doesn't mean you're throwing it wrong, it's just the ball's not drilled for that type of shot, thats all.

That's true about the roll, but there is no such thing as a layout for one handed or two handed, many (including myself) can use the same balls I use to use one handed, two handed. It depends whether or not your roll on the ball does in fact change drastically.

If your roll and tilt (and PAP) has changed, this is what will make the difference. You can learn to roll the ball differently two handed.. my guess would be Slayer is applying a massive amount of side roll causing it to flare over the fingers.. or thumb.

It will be different for every single person, but going from one handed to two handed won't be the deciding difference. The roll you apply to the ball will be the difference.

As for height.. I'm 5'7 and a half

Also, if you're rubbing your thumb with your one handed shot, it usually means that you're drilling isn't quite right. Usually when a bowlers thumb rubs on the hole, it means they are bending their thumb to hold on to the ball. If your thumb hole is drilled correctly, you shouldn't need to grab with your thumb.

at this point im inclined to blame it on my technique... as i have only just started this sport (other then playing socially once in a blue moon when i was 12)... yesterday was like my 3rd time on the lane! quite likely that i am still gripping the ball a lot 1 handed...

going to continue playing with 2 handed as i simply like what i have been reading about the advantages of it!

Back
Top Bottom