Why the QLD selectors got it wrong

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
First of all, I want to make it clear that I am in the process of completing a revised and suggested 'selection criteria' for the upcoming AGM in a few weeks. I have full intentions of taking this further as I am passionate about Queensland fielding the best possible team. I am shocked on the some of the omissions from both teams, TBAQ had a chance to pick the best teams and they clearly got it wrong.

I'm not going to beat around the bush (I'm not going to name players either though).

Here are my thoughts on why they got it wrong

1. The selectors need to be transparent on their decision making. Apart from the resumes bowlers submitted what pro-active due diligence to each selector take to verify the past results of the players nominating. Results for every tournament in Australia are readily available on the internet now, how much consideration was taken for past performances?

I can tell you by the selections, not much! National rankings were not considered, past Rachuig experience was not considered, National tournament results outside of Queensland were not considered, if they were the team would look a lot different. There were some experienced, well seasoned bowlers who didn't make the right teams, nor did some of them make ANY teams, how the hell were they over looked?

2. Whilst the TBAQ went to extraordinary lengths to ensure the lane surface and patterns were similar, they clearly were not. Humidty, oil type, there are countless variables that are out of the hands of lane men. The 20 game pinfall, including the strike/spare tally should have only been a minor GUIDE and part of the selection criteria in relation to picking the 20 bowlers, not using it as a tool to pick the top 7 of each team.

3. Selectors need to be bowlers or pro-actively monitoring the State and National tournament scene all the time. Level 2, HP or whatever they call it means nothing to me. Sitting down with this qualification, reading score sheets, counting strikes and spares is NOT how you pick a team. Experience, knowledge and common sense will undoubtedly allow the best team to be picked 99% of the time. How about tournament experience, bowlers ability to adapt, bowlers range, bowlers knowledge?

There are alot of bowlers who nominated who travel almost monthly, bettering themselves and improving, they are a force to be reckon with in every event. Leaving them out of a team, or both teams all together is a slap in the face for the hard work and dedication these bowlers put in. If I was in their shoes I'd probably never nominate again. They were omitted infront of other players who clearly don't travel, don't make an effort to better themselves, and don't bowl tournament outside their home town. It is a disgrace.

Selectors need to know who is bowling what and who is not bowling. It's appalling that to see that tournament results over the last year meant nothing.

If you had a drop down menu on total bowling with the 20 people who made it through and asked the general public to pick 2 teams they would certainly pick 2 VERY different teams to what the selectors have. They is no logical justification to the current selections. Bowlers could select the relevant teams better because they know, they know who bowls, they know who's good, they know who's got the experience, they know who travels and is committed.

Putting bowlers into teams who clearly don't deserve to be there places the team under stress. No longer do you really have 7 bowlers, you have 5 or 6. As a team member I want to believe in the ability and experience of my team mate, knowing if I sat out he could get up there and perform. It is clear that both teams are not even close to being correct, therefore if I don't back my teammate, it places added pressure on everyone else.

In my opinion the selectors got it very wrong!

I could go on and on but it's best tabulated in a document for the AGM. Please feel free to leave your comments on here in support or disagreement to my comments. If you would like to PM your comments will remain confidential but will mentioned in my document to the AGM (not referring to names though).

Over and out

George Frilingos

I agree George...I have no idea how you got selected.

Now for the serious answer...First off, weren't you going to propose a revamp of the selection process last year? I could swear I read that on Totalbowling.

I'm not afraid to name names so....
Leaving Tony Hamilton off the first team was bad enough..but to omit him from the second team as well....that's just plain stupid. The selectors should be ashamed.

well said george.

politics is the main reason i have never nominated for NSW or QLD since returning to the sport about 3 yr ago, but due to only living up in Qld for a short while and not knowing a lot of people up here as yet, it's hard for me to say what drives selections.

in saying that, i certainly agree the best 2 teams were certainly not picked and could have been made vastly stronger. i'll go now to the be a selector thread and put up my picks based who i have seen bowl and believe should be in based on tourney form (should be 1st thing considered) and consistency overall (2nd consideration) not crap such as strike counts!!!

to add to that i'm probably just not good enough to bowl in that setup right now, but i have a lot of team bowling experience, oh there's the 3rd consideration!

George,

I never thought the day would come that I would agree with you, but today is that day!

I for one am very disapointed to see our sport heading in the wrong direction. Since the introduction of synthetic lanes and Kegel-type lane machines it seems most centres are more than happy to lay down a DITCH, rather than a pattern where the bowler has to use their skill to make a shot. Instead all they have to do is close their eyes and throw it anywhere to get a strike.

A perfect example from personal experience was Mackay Open last year. I averaged over 230 for 30 games, now I can tell you I am nowhere near a 230 average bowler at home.....scores are inflated and this gives lower average bowlers a false sense of security.

Now to the selections.

I remember when I was a junior back in the late 90's, if I wanted to represent my state I had to hand in a resume that showed my results from the previous years tournaments I had competed in, as well as my results from state championships and state masters. If you did not bowl in the State events you didn't even get a look in.

I won't mention names but there are a couple of people in the respective teams that did not bowl state masters and state championships last year. In my opinion if your not willing to bowl in your local events what makes you think you have the right to bowl for your STATE.

The sad reality in north queensland especially, is that bowlers seem to pick and choose the tournaments they compete in by how well they think they will do. They don't go out to challenge themselves by bowling in tournaments where they may have to remove themselves from their comfort zone. How do you ever hope to better yourself if you only bowl in the centres where the condition 'better suits' your bowling abilities.

I personally would love to bowl for QLD, but as per previous posts, politics has ruined our sport. I have lost faith in the selection processes and the people governing them. I can only hope that future selections will be more transparent and that bowlers who have proved their abilities will be rewarded for their commitment to the sport.

Frank

Personally, I question why the roll-offs were so early in the year. Why can't the roll-offs be late Feb/early March?

Hi There,

While I can not assist with the other questions. I can provide insight to the Timing of the roll offs's. The Selection of Roll off's has to not conflict with any sanctioned TBA Rated Tournament to allow it to be Sanctioned. It was extremely difficult to find dates later through the year. All so due to the size of our State and the Traveling that my be required for Training it was decided to hold roll offs as early as possible to allow for training to be scheduled easily. It also allows additional time to raise funds etc for the players that make the team.

Cheers

Thanks for your response Morty. Appreciate the points raised but my issue is that many people particularly with families are still on holidays then. Never mind, see what happens next year.

Hey Shazza64,

Out of interest, at the center you bowl when do most of your bowlers return from the Christmas Break? This year the first roll off was on the first weekend after school went back.

Cheers

I am shocked to not see Morty in the QLD team.

I am also even more shocked that Tony Hamilton is NOT in the Top 14 players of that 20 person squad…In my opinion; Tony is in the top 14 players in the state with everyone available…

When I bowled tournaments if both of these two players showed up to an event you knew they were two people who were a very good chance of winning the Tournament regardless where they bowled…

Anyone who has bowled in a Team with Morty will know that somehow when he put on that Qld Shirt he grows and extra leg, making him even more unstoppable…He is one of the best team players that I have ever played with…But more importantly he is an amazingly talented bowler who has achieved almost all there is to achieve in the sport of Tenpin Bowling... His 15+ years and his passion for Rachuig its self obviously means nothing when sitting around the selection table…

If they were selecting the teams purely on roll off performances, why did they;
1. Ask them to submit a resume and
2. Not just have 7 past the post…

Of course regardless of the patterns being the same they were never going to play the same on different surfaces…Picking a Team on amount of strikes thrown, open frames and spares made is just ridicules…That being said judging by the scores of course the people in the Nth Roll off were going to dominate the Team; How can you have open frames when you’re throwing so many strikes… (And that’s no dig at the NTH Qlders…It’s not their fault there pattern played the way it did…Nor is it the centres fault…

My point is you can’t hold two different roll offs and have that sort of selection process in place…

Like George, and others whom I have spoken to, truly believe the selectors got it dead wrong…

Are the selectors Victorian?????

I am not saying that the two Men’s teams selected can’t do it but the selectors could have made it a dam sight lot easier on them…

First let me say it is well known I am good friends with Tony Hamilton and I consider Morty Douglas to be beyond reproach as a bowler and foremost as a person. This post is no reflection on those that made the teams and those that did not, my congratulations go out to all who did make the teams, for the first timers you must be very proud and you will give 150% that I know for sure and the "old timers" will again do us proud. It is also not intended to single out conditions, centres or any other thing that had anything to do with the "Rauchig qualifying tournament".

<rant>

That out of the way,
#1 Morty - No one wears the Qld colours with more pride. As Jase said he grows an extra leg or is "10 foot tall & bulletproof" to quote a famous qld'er. How he has been left out of the QLD team is simply staggering, I dont know if even Morty knows this but his Rauchig win/loss record is 60% - so for every 3 matches played he has won 2. Not a bad record - so I ask the selectors - "please explain"

#2 Hammo - Another man passionate about playing for his state, he can play on the big stage. Can he afford to travel to tournaments - no not always, does he lift when bowling in teams - yes almost always. He is no pushover in matchplay, and has proven himself on almost every condition he has bowled on. He has earned the respect of friend & foe alike for his talent and uncanny ability to over come any & all obstacles. Again I find it hard to fathom why he was left out of EITHER team - and again I ask the selectors "please explain"

</end rant>

I know from speaking to other players completely outside of even Rauchig qualifying they are dumbfounded at these omissions.

Please someone, tell us why ??

I am shocked to not see Morty in the QLD team.

I am also even more shocked that Tony Hamilton is NOT in the Top 14 players of that 20 person squad…In my opinion; Tony is in the top 14 players in the state with everyone available…

Holy crap batman, what is going on here.

Is it a case of the Blind leading the Blind? Do the selectors know these bowlers, because if they did they would not have left Mr Tony Hamilton out of the side. I mean come on, the things that this guy has done and the quality of bowler he is, man what a in justice.

I am sorry Tony for this to happen to you.

The selectors should be hung out to dry and should be made to answer as to how they came up with this selections in my opinion. Does previous years efforts come into consideration. I am pretty sure Tony hamiltion has the higest qld avg rachuig for the games he's bowled.

Man I had to come out and say this even though I don't bowl anymore, This is a disgrace, Hang your heads in shame.:mad::mad::mad:

Well well well! Some things never change!

The only reason i got on here is because i heard that Hammo didnt make the QLDteam yet we selected 2 teams. i didnt believe it so i had to have a look for myself!
I cant believe Hammo didnt make either side yet some of them people did. No offense to the people that did make it, but seriously he should have been above some of you! But congrats, i hope you like humiliation because im afraid you will get it on this stage! Your side is missing some people that could stop it from happening, but i guess the question is who did Hamo piss off out of the selectors to not be selected?
Why dont you selectors man up and come forward and say why he didnt make the side, be honest though, let us know which one of you he has beaten in something before or which one of you he has given his opinion too and you didnt like it?
Weak as piss is all i can say!
Send the best team away you dickheads, not the team of your favourite people!

People always get on here asking whats wrong with the sport! heres a good example of something.

I have been thinking about coming back and bowling one night a week with some friends who have asked me if id be keen, and seriously, i dont think i want to be associated with the sport again! Its a bloody joke!

Bad luck Hamo, we all know you should be in there mate, and if they come to their senses and ask you to come into a team down the track tell them to **** off!

Ive got a spare go kart drive here for you mate, you should give this sport the arse! You either win or you dont here, you accumulate points throughout the year to see if you make rep teams etc and if someone ****s you you just punch them in the mouth when you get back into the pits! Its a great sport!

You can all give me a floggin too if you like caus ei wont be back on here for another 12 months until QLD ****s up the sides again ;)

What a joke! Freshen the sport up guys and **** off all lthe people who have been in power for too long and get some fresh fair faces in and push the politics aside!

Very colourful Ronnie but SPOT ON mate! ;):D

I share the sentiments, though, not the karting part as I can barely drive a car let alone race one. ;)

As stated before, transparency would be a key factor but it is bowling so that won't happen! :(

Why submit a resume, Tony hamilton clearly has more experience, than some of the people that made the team. It seems the roll off must have weighted very heavily - Im very dissappointed :(.

I for one will never take part in the rolloff again. There was absolutely no consistancy in the way the team was selected. Was there even a need for a roll off????

If you take out the clear advantage the NQ roll-off had by averaging the top 10 and correcting the scores appropriately the roll-off should have looked like this. (Purely Rolloff driven selection - Most probably substitute a few bowlers such as Jim Murray with Angelo based on pure skill and bump Murray back to the invitational team (he deserves to be at least in one of the teams) Tony Hamilton could be slotted in one of the teams also, but his poor roll-off didnt help (not that rolloff seemed to even matter - now I am confused???? What did the selectors go off??)

QUEENSLAND
1.Hunt, Stephen 232.1
2.Buckley, Robbie 221.7
3.Pilkington, Brian 219.3
4.Meads, Brendan 217.5
5.Frilingos, George 217.1
6.Carney, Christopher 212.0
7.Murray, Jim 210.8

QUEENSLAND INVITATIONAL
1.Bailey, Gary 205.4
2.Jones, Tyson 204.7
3.Turner, Luke 204.3
4.Phelan, Ian 203.1
5.Douglass, Morty 203.0
6.Taylor, Ben 201.5
7.Mifsud, Daniel 201.1

RESERVES
Smith, Daniel 200.7
Hamilton, Tony 198.8
Dunn, John 198.6
Nucifora, Angelo 198.4
Ott, Geoff 197.8
Nowak, Aaron 197.6

Now this is more like what the teams should have looked like

Luke

Read the post carefully Stevie. I said that by eliminating the "condition" advantage that we had up here opposed to down in Brisbane by averaging the top 10 scores of each roll-off and finding an appropriate "correction" percentage the NQ averages would look something more like this.

Back
Top Bottom