Why the QLD selectors got it wrong

(Purely Rolloff driven selection - Most probably substitute a few bowlers such as Jim Murray with Angelo based on pure skill and bump Murray back to the invitational team (he deserves to be at least in one of the teams)

QUEENSLAND
1.Hunt, Stephen 232.1
2.Buckley, Robbie 221.7
3.Pilkington, Brian 219.3
4.Meads, Brendan 217.5
5.Frilingos, George 217.1
6.Carney, Christopher 212.0
7.Murray, Jim 210.8

QUEENSLAND INVITATIONAL
1.Bailey, Gary 205.4
2.Jones, Tyson 204.7
3.Turner, Luke 204.3
4.Phelan, Ian 203.1
5.Douglass, Morty 203.0
6.Taylor, Ben 201.5
7.Mifsud, Daniel 201.1

RESERVES
Smith, Daniel 200.7
Hamilton, Tony 198.8
Dunn, John 198.6
Nucifora, Angelo 198.4
Ott, Geoff 197.8
Nowak, Aaron 197.6

Now this is more like what the teams should have looked like

Luke

You are kidding...clearly you haven't a clue regarding Jim's game...

Also i am keen to know how you can re-average the top 10 NQ scores and correcting the scores appropriately...

That's clever stuff

A long time ago in a galaxy (whoops) State far far away, when winning Rachuig was the Holy Grail of bowling, we winning teams used to wonder why Queensland with all their great players, never won. We then realized that
Qld was made up of a lot of great singles players. NEWS FLASH Rachuig is a team sport,ok lets cover the issues that have been raised.
Selection criteria set, was it met I don't know, I'm not a selector,neither are any of you. Lane conditions set by the governing body (not the players).
Team selection done by the selectors,NOT the players,I find it very sad that the outstanding performances have been somewhat tarnished by all this crap.Stuff like he should be in this team,she should be in this team,blah blah blah.
WAIT I HAVE THE ANSWER first take a big teaspoon of cement and place in a big cup of shut the hell up. We as bowlers should try to combine and try to get the best possible outcome for our state, if you're not happy with the processes in place,get off your butt and put your hands up. OTTY
PS Luke whatever you're smoking or taking stop it son.:mad:

Well said Otty - It is easy to be a critic - lets see how many selectors want the job next year after all this backlash!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One other senerio to all this

If you are not happy with the people who are in your respective team pull out of the team and give someone a go who would be greatful for the opportunity to bowl in either team.

No wonder I dont encourage my kids to bowl if this is the sort of crap they have to look forward too:mad:

Ive got a spare go kart drive here for you mate, you should give this sport the arse! You either win or you dont here, you accumulate points throughout the year to see if you make rep teams etc and if someone ****s you you just punch them in the mouth when you get back into the pits! Its a great sport!

Farkin HILARIOUS!!!
We could see Hammo fitting in quite noicely!

Ronnie,
It should be compulsory for you to post a minimum of once a day, about absolutely anything and in any section. Maybe start up a "Dear Ronnie" column....How bout it Jase??? That would be awesome and you'd have people logging on all the time to get their fix..

Take a deep breath and don't feel the love "Feel the Ronnie"
He'll say the things everyone else wishes they could ;)

people shouldnt be so critical. And yes well done Otty. Maybe you can do the double next year when you can actually CARRY!!!!

PEOPLE SHOULD READ POSTS IN THEIR ENTIRETY BEFORE FOAMING AT THE MOUTH!!!!

I stated IF it was a purely "roll-off" driven selection we would have to address the issue of the difference in conditions North to South. To do this, for those that arent good at maths (and NO i am not smoking anything) you would need to average the field north and south, divide the South average by the north average and then you get a percentage of what the southern guys rolled against the north, which comes to 92.7%. IF you dont do this then WHY DID WE NEED TO HAVE A ROLLOFF? If people bung on about he is better than him, why isnt he there?? It is all opinion based. I am operating on pure figures, the reason why roll-offs were invented in the first place.

What this does is level the playing field. This needs to be done for obvious reasons. To fix this you will need ONE rolloff in the same centre. Now it isnt that hard to understand what I am saying.

Jase, I do have a good idea of Jim's game, he is magnificant, its not as if I left him out completely. In fact I have an excellent idea of the entire 20 that made the selection. And truth be told THEY ARE ALL AWESOME BOWLERS that can ALL BOWL RACHUIG.

All I am saying is the process needs to be "7 past the post" style so that there is no wondering "why" no arguaments, no people from southern thinking their mates should have made it, and no people from northern thinking their buddy was ripped off.

Do people get what I am saying here??? It isnt that hard to understand

Yikes...this topic seems to be turning South Australian on us;)

Congrats to all who made the team and commiserations to those that missed out. I still hink there's a great two teams selected and hopefully all this bickering will be over by the time the nationals come round.

Luke.....the idea of 7 past the post has merit if the distance between north and South wasn't so big. The number would be down each year if you had to catch a plane to roll offs. I don't think you can compare the roll off scores between north and South even with "re'averaging".
Don't let the selection process put you off rachuig...its a great experience. Your still young and if you keep rolling off and performng well in tournaments, the selectors will find a place in future teams.

As an aside, I can't see there being two qld teams next year. After all, no other state gets to field an A and a B team.

Good luck to all competing!!!!!

I'm not sure where all this support for Hammo comes from but maybe the selectors are a lot smarter than people give them credit for......has anyone checked with THE MASTER.....maybe he is not allowed to go and the selectors checked with her before selecting the team.....

In all seriosness though, otty has got it right....every one will have an opinion on who they think should be in or out of the team but that don't matter.....get behind the QLD TEAM.

Well what can I say
After sitting down and reading this I'm glad to say I am a New South Welshman honestly you people carry on like pork chops
George did you know that there is only room in this world for 1 GOD and you are certainly not him:mad::mad:
I can see no end to this at all , Hang on a minute could we have an other Ian Thorpe controversy in the making gee maybe some nice person might pull out of the team to make way for someone who every one thinks should be there I know maybe there is another Daniel Kowalski out there who has a kind heart :pwho can put a stop to all this bickering

Thats my 2 bobs worth and yes I am entitiled to my opinion wether you like it or not
Shazza

Well what can I say
After sitting down and reading this I'm glad to say I am a New South Welshman honestly you people carry on like pork chops
George did you know that there is only room in this world for 1 GOD and you are certainly not him:mad::mad:
I can see no end to this at all , Hang on a minute could we have an other Ian Thorpe controversy in the making gee maybe some nice person might pull out of the team to make way for someone who every one thinks should be there I know maybe there is another Daniel Kowalski out there who has a kind heart :pwho can put a stop to all this bickering

Thats my 2 bobs worth and yes I am entitiled to my opinion wether you like it or not
Shazza

Well said Otty... :)

Geoff Ott did YOU make the Seniors Team to Manila? I was at Green Valley Country Club in Manila just last week - where the Seniors Zone Event will be held - Pepe the GM asked me had I seen you lately - and asked how you were? I will advise him that you are on your way later in the year - just so he has enough time to stock of the fridge!!

Oh - the A/C has been on the fritz there since around 1984 .... they'll fix it some time soon though- it's a "3 shirt a day for Otty" condition..just so you have advance notice.....pack well - pack lots!

Well after 3 days to consume, the announcement, the threads and talk around the centers, one thing is clear to me and that is this great bowling state we come from needs to pull together. Not what it's doing now and tearing its self apart.

C'mon Queenslanders we have a great chance to win the states very first Men's Title in our very own back yard.

Congratulations to the 14 Men given this opportunity at chasing history and knowing most of you, that you'll put in 100% to make this happen.

This year has seen some positive changes with the roll-off but with any thing new things won't go as planned yet we have to learn from it and move forward not dwell on it and go backwards.

Thank-you to all for your support but any issues that anyone has should be done thru the correct channels. My fellow reserve Geoff Ott couldn't have said it any clearer if you're not happy with the processes in place,get off your butt and put your hands up.

Seriously everyone we're not North and South anymore, WE ARE......
QUEENSLANDERS

Tony Hamilton

( Queensland Proud )

It's great to see their are still some great sportsman out there that have class when things dont go their way. I would like to think i am the same Tony and geoff guys i truly take my hat off to you and the other reservs i know what its like to miss out and its hard there is no question. But you are right we all need to get together and go hard to win and represent Queensland.

Chris Carney

Great post Hammo,

Makes one think and reflect on ones behaviour.
Just goes to show what a champion you are. I too wish the best for both Queensland teams.

QUEENSLANDER!!!

I dont agree with what has happened myself either.

I bowled nationals last year and I though I did well for myself and was proud to bowl for QLD and would love to do it again.

But saying all this when I saw the format of the rolloffs I didnt agree with it and I didnt think there was any point me rolling off even if i made the top so many in the roll off I would feel I wouldnt get picked no matter what I bowled. I know im not as good as George and some others and dont have all the results but some people cant bowl everything. I belive that the roll offs should be first 7 past the post and back to a NQ AND SQ side. Picking teams from 2 areas on different lane condititions and so on just doesnt work well not in my view

I belive that this year we took a step backwards not forwards.

Back
Top Bottom