13 Manning Brenton SA 202
14 Loader Glen VIC 193 4
15 Thomas Chris ACT 176
16 Voukolos Ronald NT 157
17 Maglieri Bruno NT 142
18 Smith Brett VIC 135
19 Hunt Stephen QLD 132
20 Muir Michael WA 129

Queensland has been blessed with some of the best bowlers this country has ever seen but they have never won Rachuig, why is that? Check out the latest Australian rankings and you'll see the answer.

The best bowlers in Queensland don't bowl Rachuig! Who could blame them with the amount of politics, unnecessary coaching sessions, rules and regulations. Bowlers are treated like 8yr olds, requested to obtain medical certificates, demanded to be certain places at certain times for nothing. Rules are made up as they go, people making decisions who are clearly not suppose to be making them, the list goes on. This has been my worse Rachuig experience ever and I'm not even bowling.

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate there has to be a few get togethers and coaching sessions prior to the championship but Queensland's best REGULARLY bowl tournaments around Australia (hence their ranking) and could easily to do more 'team' orientated work whilst away and bowling on challenging conditions. Tournament experience, ability to respond under the gun, knowledge of varying lanes and conditions is what a tournament bowler already poses, they don't need to learn it from unqualified persons in a 2 day coaching session.

A tournament experienced and well rounded athlete is what a team needs to win Rachuig, not people who bowl next to nothing for an entire a year and put their name down to bowl Rachuig as their yearly once off event.

We can all learn from other states, especially the dominate force of Victoria during the eighties who allowed their best and most experienced a clear pathway to represent their state. Do you think Frank Ryan, Bradford, Sullivan, Ott and others had one on one coaching sessions? No way, they had a proactive committees which targeted the best, invited them to roll off in a long format roll off and the top 7 past the post were the team. The money was fund raised well in advance and the bowlers were then given a near expense free ticket to win Rachuig, and win they did, year after year.

Queensland current format is not far off the money, but it needs significant improvement and incentive if you want Queenslands best to bowl and participate. Queensland is clearly not fielding a full strength side and in my eyes has little chance of obtaining a top 3 finish. You can do all the coaching sessions in the world with the best coaches the sport has to offer but nothing beats experience and knowledge.

I'll be at Rachuig cheering on my mates but they know themselves they are up against it. Let's hope things policies, rules and processes change for next year so Queensland can have a significant shot at winning for a change.

You could even save time and money on the selection process, take the Australian rankings and highlight all the Queenslanders and the top 7 are the Rachuig team, a no brainer! The next 7 can be the invitational team, another no brainer. Let's pour the roll off money towards the trip and save the bowlers a little expense.

Isn't it a fact that the bowlers' response to the TBA request for feedback was that the points system is flawed and needs looking at? Yet you use it here as if it is some sort of "law" and has to be followed.

Isn't it a fact that for one reason or another (probably legitimate reasons) you didn't meet the criteria for the team?

I agree with much of what you said about team players etc but this is really starting to look like a case of sour grapes.

George you have just shot yourself in the foot. 4 of those names you listed in the rankings were in the Queensland Team. There were 5 good coaches working with the Queensland Team. For a coach to be able to help you and the rest of the team coaching camps were a must for the coach to gain a better understanding of your game as well as the other members

George the title of this thread is an absolute insult to all the Men in the Queensland Team.

I am not going to debate the content of your post other than to remind you of one of your earlier posts in which you boasted that you would get your mates to bowl Rachuig with you.

And you made that statement prior to the nominations being closed.

Well they never nominated did they?

So either they had a different set of reasons or else you dont have too many mates.

But I'm glad you're going to cheer your other mates on, even though there cant be too many left in Queensland...

So George wat u trying 2 say m8..is our QLD mens team not good enough without u..well if thats the case maybe u should have meet the requirements that were set and still been in the team....Uno wat im so over you dissing our teams and posting ya **** bout us on this site 4 every other person 2 view..for once how bout you shut your mouth aye..Uno who bloody cares if they dont win ..it would be bloody fantasic if they do,it just comes down 2 who is better on that weekend..you should no that being soooo experienced but you probably have your head 2 far up your ass 2 realise....you stated that we have the best bowlers in the country i do agree with you but m8 i think you forgot 2 highlight a couple of blokes or are they not up 2 ur standards..thanks 4 the vote of confidence that they wont even make top 3..bet the ones that read ur post will feel great knowing that u think that of them...and unexperienced coaches aye plzz we have 5 of the best coaches..And like LW said the coaching sesions are more 4 them 2 get 2 no us....oh but thats right u no more then them aye..your a bloody tosser m8..how dare you even write something bout us even though you live in QLD...your just digging yourself a bigger hole by dissing us..and if i were u wen u come 2 cheer on ya m8's sit rite back on the grandstand(uno thats the place behind the bench)coz i dont think there gonna be many people happy 2 see you....And 2 the guys that are in the QLD teams hope you guys kick ass just 2 shut this d*#@head up....And george grow up coz everything thing is not about you...like you think it is ..trust me the sun dont shine out ur ass coz ya head is 2 far up it...

Come on every one is there realy any reason to get into a fight over all of this again.

We have traveled down this road before and it dose no one any good regardless weather you agree with George or not.

With the amount of controversy Rachuig generates in QLD each year you'd think we had 100 male nominations for roll-offs..

For what it's worth I think the best team should always represent QLD and I agree with George on this, but based on nominations and criteria being met this is the best team.. so good luck to them.

I am sure our team/s is/are up for it and let's face it, it's in our home state so if we can't win here.. well..

George
There are a lot of talented bowlers in Queensland unfortunately not everyone can AFFORD to travel like yourself,So does that mean your better than them just because you just take off whenever you wish????? and go bowl in a tournament no I don't think so,some people are COMMITTED to Family but you wouldn't know what that mean't:mad::mad:

As for friends yeah few and far between these days for you hey Seriously George you are an OXYGEN THIEF you think your S*IT doesn't stink well I got news for you it does just remember a statement you said a few weeks ago with regards to Mackay Open bring your wallets 15 games about wiping the floor you didn't even make the cut:D:D

For what it's worth I think the best team should always represent QLD and I agree with George on this,

Well I would have thought that attitude/committment were a huge part of being the best you can and based on the posts that George has put on here the selectors were right to leave him out.

Current TBA rankings as at 13/09/09

4 Nucifora Angelo QLD 283
9 Trotter Paul VIC 244
10 McArthur Andrew NT 230
11 Purdue Christian NSW 211
12 Pilkington Brian QLD 204
13 Manning Brenton SA 202
15 Thomas Chris ACT 176
16 Voukolos Ronald NT 157
17 Maglieri Bruno NT 142
20 Muir Michael WA 129

Out of boofheads' original list, I have removed those who are not bowling Rachuig this year (apologies if I have missed anyone). Steve Hunt has an injury, and George is out for being a tool, otherwise Qld would have 4 of the top 12 ranked bowlers attending the tourney. As it is, we have the currently 1st and 4th highest ranked bowlers of those attending.
I would have enough points to make the top 20 if I could be bothered filling in the form, and whilst I am sure there are several bowlers from other States in the same boat, the situation is not quite as bad as George would have us all think, IMHO.

omg some people just need to grow up some of these comments r so low u deserve to be in the gutter this aint myspace or facebook people

Well I would have thought that attitude/committment were a huge part of being the best you can and based on the posts that George has put on here the selectors were right to leave him out.

I'm not debating attitude I'm just in favour of picking the strongest team possible to give QLD the best chance of winning. Of course in saying that, you still have to get the people to actually nominate and abide by the rules set out before nominations open.

Put this team on the lanes in the one team and say they wouldn't secure a top 3 finish (if they didn't win):

• Brando
  • George
  • Carl Bottomley
  • Steve Hunt
  • Brian Pilkington
  • Morty Douglass
  • Brendan Meads

Before anyone jumps on me, I know that some of the above did not nominate, but just imagine if we fielded a team with that amount of talent and proven experience. Three of the above have represented Australia at the World Cup.. and that team leaves out guys like Mark Ramsay (also represented at World Cup twice) and Terry Wenban.. both of who still have what it takes to perform at a high level.

The point of this is there is no excuse for why QLD men have not won Rachuig. I fully believe the two teams going this time can win and I am behind them 100% like I am sure the majority are, but we could field a team that would rival some of the best lineups NSW has ever produced.

You all, including the players not competing for Qld have to ask the simple question.

Why don't I play Rachuig for Qld?

What ever the answers are, need to be fixed to allow all players to nominate and give your state the best possible chance to win a Rachuig. It's an awesome feeling to win.

All states seem to have drama at board level and between bowlers, but I believe some things need to change to allow Australia's elite players compete in Rachuig in the future.

The bowlers have to voice their opinion or give better suggestions to create a criteria that all players are happy with and gives them a chance to make a Rachuig team and win one.

The bowlers have to voice their opinion or give better suggestions to create a criteria that all players are happy with and gives them a chance to make a Rachuig team and win one.

Quite agree and we were delighted when this extract appeared in one of Georges posts

I could go on and on but it's best tabulated in a document for the AGM. Please feel free to leave your comments on here in support or disagreement to my comments. If you would like to PM your comments will remain confidential but will mentioned in my document to the AGM (not referring to names though).

Over and out

George Frilingos

We do listen, but on this occasion there was no document and no George.

We can theorise about Rachuig all day, but the bottom line is that we will not get all our top bowlers into Rachuig unless we take the competition seriously and put in place decent prize money.

A few points

* This is my personal opinion, no one elses, I didn't expect everyone to agree, if you don't like it, so be it

* Andrew - Some people like yourself may see this as an insult, some find it very motivating to prove me wrong. Again, its my personal opinion, I'm not breaking any rules

* Kerry - Alot of the top ranked bowlers do have families and responsibilities, at the end of the day though as a state we are wanting to put our best team forward. Families or no families, the bowlers who generate the best results should get first preference, this isn't a popularity contest, results should be the only thing that matters. North Queensland has plenty of events to bowl in and all bowlers from NQ are able to boost their position in the National standings, Angelo and Steve are a testament to this.

There are no sour grapes on my part, I want the team to do well, I just think they are up against it, not impossible, but very difficult. Ask yourself this question, why aren't Brandon and Carl bowling? Why are we unable to attract such talent to our state side?

I personally feel its the selection process which is the problem and the way we go about managing teams. We are still having constant debates about NQ v SQ, some people on committees drawing a line in the sand by telling some bowlers to go and get f&*%$. If team mates can't stand the sight of each other how are they expected to bowl together and perform at their best?

I want the best bowlers to represent our state, no debates, no selections, results, form and experience count for everything. Whilst our National rankings system may have its flaws it's the best guide we currently have. For the bowlers who are not in the top 7 ranked bowlers from Qld in the National rankings, ask yourself..... do I deserve a place infront of the top 7 infront of me. Answer is NO! Work hard, make a commitment to the sport and do your best. NQ is fortunate to have many ranked events on your doorstep, take advantage of it and work your way into the team if you want the place.

The fact of the matter is that we are clearly not fielding our best team and until we do we are facing an uphill battle. We are not the only state in this dilemma, I know of several other states who are facing the same problem. Maybe one day we'll get it right

Sorry Andrew, but it's not about the format or no prize money available that you don't attract the highest rank bowlers in your state.

NSW & VIC manage to bring the best players to Rachuig each year and I know from experience that we don't play for the money at Rachuig. It's the passion and loyalty to the State jumper, it's getting to play for the state with your mates, it's getting to compete against your mates in a state vs state & mate vs mate promo. It's having a good time with friends. That's priceless!

I'm with my mate George on this one and must say it might come down to the criteria for the state team that needs to be looked at. If some players cannot afford the team payments, give them time to pay it off, an extension so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom