Gold Coast Association Challenge 2008

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
Gold Coast Association Challenge Selection Procedures for the 2008 Teams
The following changes have been implemented for the 2008 Selections.
Nomination fee will be $20.
The teams will be selected by a panel of 5 selectors who will examine the resumes submitted by all nominating bowlers. There will be no Roll-Off.
All bowlers intending to nominate by resume are also advised to consider entering the following two tournaments. Performance in these events may be used as a guide for the selectors should it be considered necessary.
• Wide Bay @ Tweed Heads 24/25 November
• Twin Tour @ Caboolture 10/11 November
The Teams will be announced by 31st November. Please see the attached files for the rules and regs.

Attachments

• GC Assoc Challenge Rep Teams 2008.doc
    22 KB · Views: 103
Actually no, but if you want to draw one up for us that would be great.
When we did this in the past we just got the nominees to send in their resumes in their own style. Perhaps we should be more professional and we could also leave a few copies in the Centres.

Actually no, but if you want to draw one up for us that would be great.
When we did this in the past we just got the nominees to send in their resumes in their own style. Perhaps we should be more professional and we could also leave a few copies in the Centres.
oi I love brad fittler and roosters they are the best team ever

does that get me a start :)

G'day Cam. So you've finally surfaced - Was the bar closed for cleaning for half an hour?
I like your new sig - bit conservative though. Didn't you have the confidence to go the whole way?

The idea of selecting a winning team based on bowlers resume's has merit, but my question is: Do the bowlers get too see the resume's of the selector's that are selecting them?

Say for instance, a bowler who has never been formally introduced to the selector's (and wouldn't even know who you were, or what you know about bowling), was to nominate, how could they be confident that you know what your doing??

Just because you maybe on the local association board does not mean that you know what your doing.

I think all selector's no matter which association should provide resume's for nominating bowler's perusal, that is unless it is first 7 past the post.

Well, I may be speaking out of turn here and I don't know if we are allowed to say as yet who the selectors are, but I can name two and that is myself and Jim Murray, and with over 20 years between us with Assoc Chall, we will know what to look for in players. Between us and the others members on the selection committee I am pretty sure we know all the bowlers on the coast, and any we don't know then it is up to us to go and watch the bowler in question.

I think our selectors know what they are doing, one of the members always takes pride in the Gold Coast assoc teams, and always goes above and beyond his duties when it comes to the teams, he has been there for many years, and always makes an effort with all bowlers. He calls a spade a spade and I think that's what you need on your committee. I don't know what your committee is like up there but here we look at who can bowl and on what condition, not this one is my friend and so is that one, or I dont like him/her so we wont pick them.

Kellie you're not speaking out of turn we aren't hiding the identity of our selectors.

They are Last years Captains, Kellie Hart and Jimmy Murray, 2 Committee Members being myself and Gary Scarlett, and possibly the most respected Coach and Ball driller on the Coast, Ross Whitbourne.

Rockhampton probably doesn't have that sort of depth so the opinion regarding the selectors resume is quite understandable.

So there's only 6 spots available for both teams unless last years Capts aren't nominating ?

Your chances are shrinking Hammer !!!!

hammo

Hammer putting a form in is he, last time we asked him, he said he couldn't bowl for us as he would miss you too much LMFAO...

Surely if any bowler is not confident in the selectors they wouldn't nominate...

That maybe the case Andrew, but say for instance, I moved to the Gold Coast and started bowling down there, I would only know 1 selector and know of 1 of the others.

Just because I dont know all of them, doesnt mean I wouldnt roll off. As a bowler hoping too make the team, I would at least like to know a little bit about the people that are selecting the team.

Im not saying that your selectors dont know what they are doing, but how I would know that if I had just started bowling down there?

And Kellie, thats so true, we do need someone up here that calls a spade a spade.

Why would you need resumes of the people selecting the Team?
Are you doing them a favour by nominating?
If you move to the Gold Coast it's going to be up to you to prove yourself to the selectors and not vice versa.
Gold Coast have a pretty good record in this Competition and the vast majority of their successes were directly due to the Gold Coast Region hand picking their teams.
The selectors, and or the region committee, need to know their bowlers to do that. I can assure you that if any half decent bowler joins a Gold Coast League we soon get to know about it.
Only in very recent years have we held roll-offs and it is interesting that we have not won the Mens division following selection by Roll-off.
By all means move to the Coast, but if you expect the selectors to formally introduce themselves to you, sorry but it probably won't happen.

I would say this type of selection would only work in places like the coast/brisbane the smaller towns probably don't have access to as many tournaments unless they could afford to travel so resumes wouldn't be appropriate.Also if someone were to say move to goldcoast considering that they arrive in time before your cut off dates for handing in resumes would not be able to prove themselves in such a short time thus not getting picked that year but could possibly be better then members picked.But do agree that roll offs aren't possibly the answer also,as some of the better bowlers can't be good all the time,so maybe a portion of both roll offs and resumes may be the way to go,Also might not be the case with the coast but i would suspect there would be a little bit of favouritism in some selections;).Also i would find it hard for up and comers to have a go as most of the time the same team would get picked year after year.But overall whatever your doing for the coast is working and maybe if other centres adopt it they might do better to.
Just my thoughts

POWER POWER POWER THATS ALL THIS IS ABOUT AND AS FOR SAYING THE TEAM YOU GET FROM ROLLING OFF IS NOT AS GOOD WAKE UP TO YOURSELF.
I BOWLED FOR THE TEAM AND I ROLLED OFF AND IT WAS A PRETTY GOOD TEAM.
ALL THIS IS ABOUT IS MAKING SURE YOU GET THE PEOPLE THAT YOU WANT TO BOWL NOT THE GUYS THAT MIGHT MAKE IT IN A ROLL OFF.
YOU ARE GOING BACK TO THE OLD DAYS OF CRAP.

Why would you need resumes of the people selecting the Team?
Are you doing them a favour by nominating?
If you move to the Gold Coast it's going to be up to you to prove yourself to the selectors and not vice versa.
Gold Coast have a pretty good record in this Competition and the vast majority of their successes were directly due to the Gold Coast Region hand picking their teams.
The selectors, and or the region committee, need to know their bowlers to do that. I can assure you that if any half decent bowler joins a Gold Coast League we soon get to know about it.
Only in very recent years have we held roll-offs and it is interesting that we have not won the Mens division following selection by Roll-off.
By all means move to the Coast, but if you expect the selectors to formally introduce themselves to you, sorry but it probably won't happen.

Andrew,
Just incase you are thinking that this is some sort of attack against Gold Coast, then your wrong. By you posting your original post gave me the chance to ask the question that I have asked, without starting a new thread. I probably should of made that clear at the start.

You said yourself "Rockhampton probably doesn't have that sort of depth so the opinion regarding the selectors resume is quite understandable."

I do realise it is up to me to show my ability as a bowler to prove myself to the selector's, and believe me going on this year's effort by myself, I wouldn't being doing anyone any favours.

Anyway as a bowler nominating for selection into any team, wouldn't you like the selection committee to introduce themselves to you, if you didn't know them? And if I did move to the Coast, I wouldn't expect anyone really to introduce themselves to me unless I was nominating for selection into a team tournament.

POWER POWER POWER THATS ALL THIS IS ABOUT AND AS FOR SAYING THE TEAM YOU GET FROM ROLLING OFF IS NOT AS GOOD WAKE UP TO YOURSELF.
I BOWLED FOR THE TEAM AND I ROLLED OFF AND IT WAS A PRETTY GOOD TEAM.
ALL THIS IS ABOUT IS MAKING SURE YOU GET THE PEOPLE THAT YOU WANT TO BOWL NOT THE GUYS THAT MIGHT MAKE IT IN A ROLL OFF.
YOU ARE GOING BACK TO THE OLD DAYS OF CRAP.

Thanks for your kind thoughts Mark, Sunshine coast does it and has for a while, but do you bag them that would be no.........

Back
Top Bottom