Not sure of the ruling.

MR HOLD3M

If i am bowling off scratch in a handicap league am i allowed to shoot at a tenpin left handed.{I am right handed} .Cheers.

RULE 122 AVERAGE - DEFINITION OF
A bowling average is determined by dividing the total number of pins credited to a bowler by the number of games bowled in one league in a season.
When establishing an average in league play, a right-handed bowler must bowl right-handed at all times. Similarly, a left-handed bowler must bowl left-handed at all times. Penalty: forfeiture of game.
No combination of scores bowled both right and left-handed will be used in computing an average.
A new average must be established if the bowler finds it necessary to change his delivery from right to left-handed or vice versa.

Hey Ralph. I would think no you cant as your scratch average was obtained bowling right handed. Even though you are off scratch

Can I ask a random question ?

If you are good enough to be off scratch presumably averaging 200+ why do you need to shoot at 10 pins with the opposite hand? No offense meant by the way.

If it's a H'cap rather than a scratch league, you are under whatever rulas apply to a handicap league. That means no you couldn't.

Additionally, you do have a handicap in that league. It just happens to be zero at the moment. That means no, again.

Does it really matter? At the end of the day he has to throw a ball and knock over the pin.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Get rid of the stupidity (which obviously exists if this question has been asked) and get back to bowling to enjoy it.

Does it really matter? At the end of the day he has to throw a ball and knock over the pin.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Get rid of the stupidity (which obviously exists if this question has been asked) and get back to bowling to enjoy it.

It does matter
Nothing to do with stupidity at all

TenPin Bowling can either be treated as a Sport or a Recreational Past time

As a Sport we to have rules to make it fair
A Recreational Past time doesn't

Which side of the fence are you on???????????

Hmm. Most sports I know can be played either hand, or foot. Soccer, AFL, pool/snooker, cricket, lawn bowls, golf, tennis, etc. In fact being able to play with either hand or foot is desirable in most other sports.

It does matter
Nothing to do with stupidity at all

TenPin Bowling can either be treated as a Sport or a Recreational Past time

As a Sport we to have rules to make it fair
A Recreational Past time doesn't

Which side of the fence are you on???????????

I am on the side where people get to deliver a shot without the stupidity/hypocrisy that people like you obviously condone.
I am on the side of the sport, which allows people to participate without knowing every little technicality that might be thrown at them.
I am on the side where things that don't matter......... don't matter.
I am on the side of common sense, something that I have been saying for a long time is lacking on this forum.

Of course we need rules. We just don't need the wrong ones. Just so you know for future, that's one of the reasons the rulebook evolves over time.

I am on the side where people get to deliver a shot without the stupidity/hypocrisy that people like you obviously condone.
I am on the side of the sport, which allows people to participate without knowing every little technicality that might be thrown at them.
I am on the side where things that don't matter......... don't matter.
I am on the side of common sense, something that I have been saying for a long time is lacking on this forum.

Of course we need rules. We just don't need the wrong ones. Just so you know for future, that's one of the reasons the rulebook evolves over time.

I don't think that this rule is a stupid one or even wrong at all, sure a lot of sports prefer their athletes to be able to use both sides of their body, myself, I am fortunate, I can bowl okay with bowl hands and do the same in many other sports as well, kicking and throwing on both sides, however bowling and developing averages within a handicap league should be done with one side of the body in order to establish averages and should continue on that side for the season unless a new average is to be established if switching. I don't believe that a person should be able to freely develop a lower average/higher handicap with the less dominant side, then switch to their stronger side against particular opponents in certain weeks or games to advantage themselves if the rule against doing so was removed.

In open play or scratch leagues, then who cares, I have bowled and finished a few tournaments left handed due to injury, it is allowable in a scratch scenario, but an above poster was correct, just because someone may be playing off scratch, just means they currently have zero handicap but are still part of the same handicap system.

Back
Top Bottom