Can you swap hands during a game of bowling?

milkman

This happened a little while ago, but Im still yet to find out if a new ruling has been put in place.

Basically I was bowling a handicap tournament, but off scratch. I injured my right arm, and could only bowl at a fraction of the pace that I normally do. I asked the tournament director if I could bowl left handed for spares, he agreed, and I also asked the 2 players I was bowling against, one was fine, the other was a little reluctant but went along with it.

This was until I bowled a 230 odd, and beat him by a few sticks, which he then made a complaint to the tournament director. I used my left hand twice to spare 2 x 10 pins.

The tournament director asked me not to bowl left handed for the remainder of the block, and a written protest was lodged at the end of the block.

The tournament director then looked in the rules, and could only find a rule about swapping hands in regards to establishing a league average, and dismissed the protest.

That day is over now, its been dealt with. What is of interest to me is whether there will be a rule change, or whether this will be officially allowed in tournaments.

I did ask the TBA rules and regulations officer, they said they were investigating it, but havent heard anything for a few months.

I just want to know if anyone has an opinion on this, or whether they know what the rules overseas state. Someone did mention that once you start a game with a certain hand, you have to finish the game with that hand, but we couldnt find the rule in the TBA rule book.

I thought the ruling was once you start a game bowling with one hand (left or right) you must complete that game with the same hand.

You may change hands at the start of the next game, but must continue using that hand. Mick Little did it at International Youth in 2000 i think, busted his thumb and then changed hands next game and killed it (shooting 230's etc) but he bowled with the one hand all game.

Surely its in the rule book somewhere ??

I honestly don't see the problem with it, if you have the skill to swap hands and shoot those scores, that's not your problem.

What is the rule on the 2 handed approach then :p

The key here is 'handicap tournament'. Averages must be established with only one hand (or both at once, hey Belmo? :D ). Since this was a handicap tournament, based on a right handed average, the TD should have refused the request to use the left hand for any shots. Also, if the bowler needed to change hands permanently, he would have had to use an existing left handed average for handicapping purposes, apply to the TD for a new handicap for those games, or bowl off scratch.
The protest should have been upheld, and the bowler receive zero for those deliveries bowled left handed. Sorry Milky :(

Oops. Didn't notice the part about you being off scratch. Since you cannot possibly gain an advantage based on average/handicap, I would guess that in the absence of any specific rule (and I couldn't find anything in last years rulebook other than the average rule) then it becomes the TD's call.

The rules are VERY Clear. You cannot change hands during a "frame" or "Game". I will quote the rule as soon as I get my "rules book" back.

Stax

Stax - I do believe you are NOT correct.

As previously stated, if you are bowling in a handicap tournament, you must enter with an average that is either attained with your right hand or your left. Once a game has started with that hand, it must be finished that way.

If you are bowling in a scratch tournament, you can bowl any way you like. There is no rule in the book that mentions right handed or left handed. Theoretically, I believe a legal delivery is one that is bowled without the bowler crossing the foul line. The bowler can use one, two or no hands if he knows how. He can bowl one ball between his legs facing the pro shop and bowl the next through his legs facing the pins if he so desires.

It wouldn't surprise me that if you placed the ball on the deck and head butted it down the lane - that would be a legal delivery.

Right and left handed bowling

Rob Buckley and Watcher are correct - Open play is open play and handicap tournaments are handicap - There is an advantage for an open grade player competing in handicap tournaments - blow the situation out to be rediculous (because it is more fun to think that way) - say you had a 230 average in any house - the more games you bowl the greater chance you would have to win - simple. Over one - two games anyone can win - percentages will always go to the higher skilled player the more games are bowled (right or left handed).

I train my athletes that way as when you bowl both sides of your body your fitness and muscle balance, coordination, orientation to the lane and injury prevention strategies are all enhanced - I have been doing this training system since 1984. There is not one of my athletes that cannot bowl with the other hand with some degree of competency. I have noticed this type of training is being used more and more in recent years by coaches.

I commend an open player for bowling in handicap events as many are only 6 - 8 games (if that) in length. Many open grade bowlers would not bowl in handicap events as the possibility of someone bowling 50 - 100 over their average is VERY REAL against an open grade bowler - so my opinion is:

Open grade all is required is a legal delivery -
Handicap tournaments should be just that guidelines of establishing an average are made clear (right or left handed average) League and tournament rules are one -

The Tournament Director took in account the situation as he/she saw fit on the day and felt that your desire to continue the tournament was sincere - made a ruling and thats it. Michael was in an open grade situation - asked the tournament directors call (as you do) was allowed to bowl - tournament directors call. Bowlers at the event that Michael bowled had conflicting points of view - some thought it was really good that Michael was able to continue others just as the bowler in the handicap tournament, decided that it was not fair because he was proficient at bowling with the other hand - if he had struggled for all games it probably would have been OK. I do not know.

Open grade all is required is a legal delivery -
Handicap tournaments should be just that guidelines of establishing an average are made clear (right or left handed average) League and tournament rules are one -

Cheers
Gail Torrens

Back
Top Bottom