Two Handed and One Handed Deliveries

Good God - You're right. I read that rule 122 only days ago.

Much and all as I agree that the removal of the restriction ( re 1 or 2 handed delivery), no organisation that is supposed to be in any way professional, should just be able to alter a rule by a wave of the hand or stroke of a pen.
Probably not many will agree with me, but if it can be done with one rule, it can be done with any., because alteration or addition would suit someone - just whisper in someone's ear, and Presto !!! Oh,Come on!
Any of you who follow any major sport, try to imagine that happening, and the furore it would cause.

AFL ;)

Rob

Much and all as I agree that the removal of the restriction ( re 1 or 2 handed delivery), no organisation that is supposed to be in any way professional, should just be able to alter a rule by a wave of the hand or stroke of a pen.
Probably not many will agree with me, but if it can be done with one rule, it can be done with any., because alteration or addition would suit someone - just whisper in someone's ear, and Presto !!! Oh,Come on!
Any of you who follow any major sport, try to imagine that happening, and the furore it would cause.

I see your point Jim, but the same thing happened when they introduced the restriction in the first place....

Common sense prevails.

While it would have been good if a communication was sent out about this confirming the change (having said that it was only updated yesterday), I still have to applaud TBA on taking the logical approach. There was never a need to make things more complicated than necessary.

Add NRL to that list as well, this year, they brought in a concussion rule, similar to AFl, after 4 rounds of footy... Last year, after 13 rounds, they decided that if you hit the corner post during a try attempt, as long as no part of the body is in contact with the ground outside the field of play, then hit the corner post as much as you like!

What about all the teams in the first 12 rounds of last season, who had tries knocked back, because some part of their body hit the corner post? Some of those knocked back tries, could've been game changers!

Add NRL to that list as well, this year, they brought in a concussion rule, similar to AFl, after 4 rounds of footy... Last year, after 13 rounds, they decided that if you hit the corner post during a try attempt, as long as no part of the body is in contact with the ground outside the field of play, then hit the corner post as much as you like!

What about all the teams in the first 12 rounds of last season, who had tries knocked back, because some part of their body hit the corner post? Some of those knocked back tries, could've been game changers!

Doesn't anyone understand what I'm saying?
I didn't suggest that rules couldn't or shouldn't be changed.
Anyone??

I understand what you're saying Jim, I agree with you, I just felt like venting about the rule changes in NRL is all :)

I absolutely understand what you are saying Jim.....I was always lead to believe that any change in rules meant a special meeting of members.

This very thing happened last year where rules were changed & changed without notice - in a tournament.

This is a very interesting thread.

Cheers
Mrs P.

I absolutely understand what you are saying Jim.....I was always lead to believe that any change in rules meant a special meeting of members.

This very thing happened last year where rules were changed & changed without notice - in a tournament.

This is a very interesting thread.

Cheers
Mrs P.
Goodness - That's even worse. You really can't have rules that aren't rules.
Sometimes a rule just doesn't appear to suit the particular circumstance. It may even appear grossly unfair under some circumstances.
In a tournament situation,the Tournament Director may find the position most distasteful, untenable even. Indeed he's dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't.

To preserve the integrity of any sport, REGARDLESS of any other consideration, rules must be enforced as written, until changed by specific procedure, by whatever representative body represents the membership. This CANNOT be an advisory committee.

Additionally,in any sport where reasonable sums of money are involved, to do otherwise is a straight line path to corruption.

G'Day Jim,

I am a rule follower. Always have been always will be regardless of my like or dislike of a rule. The rules exist to keep the activity they govern fair.

Changing rules without the governing bodies rules being followed is odd.

I say this from experience and the fact that due to local rule breakers my family did not bowl for many years.

You get over it and roll with the punches.

We should always do our best to play within the rules as we believe they should be understood and enjoy our great game.

For me I am going leave it there and let the people with more time on their hands argue it out.

So, I will continue to stay behind the black line and bowl under arm. As right hand over arm scares the people on the next lane.

John, I've looked. I can find no rule to rule out your bowling overarm.
Obviously, it is only your high regard for your fellow conpetitors which stays your arm.
We can but hope that others with less scruples than your good self, do not read this and take advantage of this obvious oversight.
On second thoughts, it doesn't matter if they do - we can make a rule banning it in the middle of the competition if necessary.

G'Day Jim,

Maybe over arm will shake the corner pins over a little better before the ball gets close.

It's fun hey.

Over arm, around the wicket is a great way to combat dry heads....

Personal experience ;)

I've been bowling two handed for nearly 7 years.

You are well within your rights to throw the first shot two handed and the spare shot one handed in either scratch or handicap play as long as it is delivered on the same side of the body. This is for the same reason someone else mentioned earlier, at release it is essentially a one handed delivery anyway as the second hand comes off first.

I've encountered all the same questions and protests in the past, don't let it worry you, they can't stop you.

Agree whole heartedly. Bowling two-handed for just as long, had a couple of queries....I questioned Peter Coburn back in the day about this (21/10/2006). Follows is an exerpt of our conversation.

<Quote>:
Originally Posted by emmtee83

Gday Peter, Michael Tran here
An important question that needs to be asked from my own point of view heading into the SA Under 25’s Challenge this year….I need to know the ruling on using one and two handed bowling in conjunction with each other…..ie. spare shooting, two handed first shot, single handed shot next shot, etc.
I hear there was an issue with Russell Martin in the past, and I wanted to get in the clear before I performed on the day and put my team at risk.
I have now been associated with two handed bowling in SA over the past nine months or so, but have now worked a one handed shot into my arsenal. Depending on the condition, I plan to use either shot (ie. Wet to medium – one handed, dry – two handed). I need to know (and I’m sure there will be other teams asking when they see me adopt this method), am I allowed to bowl like this?
I can only presume, by witnessing Jason Belmonte bowl, that by using two styles, a two handed and a one handed shot, in a SCRATCH tournament is okay (handicapped, I could understand the argument). Can you confirm my thoughts? I have also sought the tournament director's thoughts on this matter also, I am awaiting his reply. Seeing as how it is a TBA event, I think your thoughts are pertinent at this stage.
With Thanks Peter,
Michael Tran

Hi Michael

As you may be aware I am no longer involved with TBA at this level but having been the Tournament Director for many national events I can put forward my understanding of your question by simply referring to the TBA Rule Book:

RULE 213 BALL DELIVERY DEFINITION
If the ball is delivered on the right hand side of the body, the delivery will be deemed to be a right handed delivery, regardless of whether any holes drilled for gripping purposes are used or not. Similarly, if the ball is delivered on the left hand side of the body, the delivery will be deemed to be a left handed delivery, regardless of whether any holes drilled for gripping purposes are used or not.

So the above rule can even be used in a handicap event or league. However, in a scratch event such as the SA U25's you can bowl either left, right, one hand or two handed and it will be OK. <end quote>

Pursuant to the above, the one and two handed right hand shot was allowed.

Its the same as an able-bodied ''one-handed'' player getting an advantage by using a wrist guard or a Mongoose to help them generate more revolutions - after all, that's what two-handed bowling is all about.

In relation to this new rule introduced in 2010: I knew nothing about it whatsoever. Not only that, I would be getting it worded properly so that there is no arguments over interpretation.

Is this new rule really advancing the sport, or is it to restrict the advantage a two-handed bowler could potentially have? And like someone said earlier, if it's good enough for the Pro Tour and Europe, WHY ARE WE FUSSING ABOUT IT HERE?

IMHO, if a bowler can bowl consistently with the right mitt with both the one handed AND the two handed shot, then the bowler has clearly worked that hard on his game to become proficient with both methods - LET HIM USE BOTH.

*catches breath* :surrender:

Oh wow....I'm a bit late on this one - thanks Brenton Davy for getting the wind up me YESTERDAY about this thread!!

Well done to Emery for going public about this and to TBA for having the sense to change the rule back to how it was.

Notification will be released by the National TBA to say
the rule is now changed

Fundamentally you must bowl both deliveries on the same side of the body
one haned or 2 handed will be fine

That is how i read the new rule, verification will be available
on the website

Geoff Sara
Vice President
NSW TBA

I have been bowling two handed for almost two years now. On most conditions I deliver my strike balls two handed, but I take my right hand spares with one hand, along with some certain other pin combinations. Some people in the travel league that I bowl in have taken issue with my bowling.

On Saturday, a league meeting addressed a protest submitted by these people. They said that the way I bowl is cheating.

They believe the underlined part of the following rule prevents me from bowling the way that I do. It was introduced into the TBA rules in July 2010.

I guess now you can take the rule book back to your league and get all your points reinstated...

So tell me guys i'm only bowling the one league this year bowling 2 handed. My avg atm is around 160. Now that I only bowl that one league this would count as my right handed avg. Now tell me I can old 200 avg + is most events I bowl in just right handed. To me this is neally almost like sandbaging surely I wouldn't be allowed to use this avg in a handicap event? I would feel like I'm cheating.

Got no problem with that but whats to say im not good enough or having trouble on the pattern and change I just think its a pretty big grey area.

I think rules are made to be used in the best interest and the spirit of the game
I am sure if we all look hard enough there would be plenty of areas we could question
hows about we just bowl , be good sports and enjoy this great game in the spirit it was intended

Back
Top Bottom