Two Handed and One Handed Deliveries

Emery_Paper

I have been bowling two handed for almost two years now. On most conditions I deliver my strike balls two handed, but I take my right hand spares with one hand, along with some certain other pin combinations. Some people in the travel league that I bowl in have taken issue with my bowling.

On Saturday, a league meeting addressed a protest submitted by these people. They said that the way I bowl is cheating.

They believe the underlined part of the following rule prevents me from bowling the way that I do. It was introduced into the TBA rules in July 2010.

RULE 122 AVERAGE - DEFINITION OF
A bowling average is determined by dividing the total number of pins credited to a bowler by the number of games bowled in one league in a season.
When establishing an average in league play, a right-handed bowler must bowl right-handed at all times. Similarly, a left-handed bowler must bowl left-handed at all times. Penalty: forfeiture of game.
No combination of scores bowled both right and left-handed will be used in computing an average.

The same rules apply to a bowler delivering the ball conventionally or two handed. In any scores used to compute an average, the ball must be delivered the same way.
A new average must be established if the bowler finds it necessary to change his delivery from right to left-handed or vice versa. Refer to Rule 213 for further details on deliveries.
In all cases, extra pins or fractions must be disregarded when using averages for handicapping or classification purposes. The extra pins will be reduced to a percentage of a pin only for the purpose of deciding individual position standings in a league.

When read, this clause says that regardless of whether the bowler bowls two handed or one handed the ball “must be delivered the same way.” Referring to rule 213 on deliveries we see that the ball can be delivered in one of two ways – left handed or right handed.

Also, it does not say that “A new average must be established if the bowler finds it necessary to change his delivery from one to two-handed or vice versa.”

RULE 213 BALL DELIVERY DEFINITION
If the ball is delivered on the right hand side of the body, the delivery will be deemed to be a right handed delivery, regardless of whether any holes drilled for gripping purposes are used or not.
Similarly, if the ball is delivered on the left hand side of the body, the delivery will be deemed to be a left handed delivery, regardless of whether any holes drilled for gripping purposes are used or not.
There is no distinction made between one handed and two handed deliveries in this definition.

Regardless, the result of the meeting was that I am no longer able to do any combination of one and two handed deliveries. Two separate averages for two hands and one hand must now be kept and in addition the H2H points I had won up until that point were stripped from my team.

It came as no surprise that the president of the league had received a reply from the TBA supporting this decision, since my Dad had a one way discussion with John Coxon in the previous week. After the initial email enquiry as to what the rule about two handed/one handed combinations, Mr. Coxon replied with rule 122 with the part that I highlighted above and essentially said “this part of the text answers your questions”

Subsequent to this, the rule’s ambiguity were pointed out. Mr. Coxon essentially dismissed any need for the rule to be changed, implying the rule is as plain as day, and made implication that my father was hard of thinking. He also cited multiple unwritten rules:

“Rule 213 defines that the same rules apply to two handed vs one handed deliveries that apply to right or left handed deliveries.”

“The simple rule is that if a bowler delivers the first ball in a frame with to (sic) hands, then the second ball must also be delivered with two hands. I (sic) delivery is made when the ball is delivered over the foul line into play. For your information, if both hands are on the ball when it is delivered, it is a two handed delivery.”

If it was so easy for Mr. Coxon to communicate these rules, why weren’t they written when the rule was introduced?

He concluded by saying that if my Dad had an issue with the wording he should draft what the wording should be and send it to the CEO, which would then come to his committee for review.

So in other words, Mr. Coxon comes up with a rule that is poorly drafted and doesn’t say what it means, and when this is brought to his attention, he wants the person to do his job for him.

It also raises the issue of how ethical is it to leave those who are in charge of writing the rules to also provide an interpretation of them also? In this case, that which was written had little or no value in the interpretation of the rule.

In any case, the TBA ruling on this is stupid. I deliver my first ball two handed because I have a better chance to strike and shoot some spares one handed because I have a higher chance to spare. If it so happens that the conditions are better to use one hand on the strike ball, I will.

There is less justification to restrict this one/two handed combination than restricting equipment changes depending on condition, which is widely acceptable.

By TBA’s reasoning, should the rule not also extend to make it illegal for someone to bowls a “one handed” thumbless delivery on the first ball and shoots spares with their thumb in?

The TBA ruling is essentially saying that two handed/one handed versatility is not acceptable, but many other “changes of delivery” are acceptable, such as changing number of steps, hand position, backswing, rotation etc.

In other words, I am being legislated from bowling to the best of my abilities.
My one hand only and two hand only averages are no doubt likely to be considerably less than how I was bowling before. On Saturday I bowled with “two hands only” and averaged 140. My average for this league was 180. Needless to say, I’m frustrated in being restricted from bowling to the best of my ability.

Does this rule affect anyone else? How can it be considered good for the sport?

P.S sorry about the length.

In my view, you are, essentially, grasping at straws. There is , in a very strict legal sense, a basis to query the decision you have been given, but that would only boil down to a judgment on the interpretation of the INTENT of the current rule / s.
In my view, the intent would be judged to be clear enough to support the decision you have been given.

As to your general question as to whether this is good or not for the sport, no doubt the same could be argued about the original rule concerning left and right hand use.
Probably reasonably evenly divided opinion on that, and it would always be a question decided subjectively, as there would be few " facts' which could be advanced for either side.

Can understand your frustration but solution is a simple one - if you wish to continue to bowl 2 handed then learn to spare 2 handed.

Rules are rules whether they make sense or not!!

I have seen a nnumber of "two handed" bowlers, throw their spares, "one handed"

Osku Palerma comes to mind...

The only bit of any of the rules above, that makes sense to me is:

"Similarly, if the ball is delivered on the left hand side of the body, the delivery will be deemed to be a left handed delivery, regardless of whether any holes drilled for gripping purposes are used or not.
There is no distinction made between one handed and two handed deliveries in this definition.
"

My belief on the above exerpt, is that if the ball leaves the right hand side of your body at delivery point, then it is deemed as "Right handed", therefore, IMO, throwing a spare "one handed", with your right hand, is still classed as bowling right handed...

I have seen a nnumber of "two handed" bowlers, throw their spares, "one handed"

Osku Palerma comes to mind...

The only bit of any of the rules above, that makes sense to me is:

"Similarly, if the ball is delivered on the left hand side of the body, the delivery will be deemed to be a left handed delivery, regardless of whether any holes drilled for gripping purposes are used or not.
"

My belief on the above exerpt, is that if the ball leaves the right hand side of your body at delivery point, then it is deemed as "Right handed", therefore, IMO, throwing a spare "one handed", with your right hand, is still classed as bowling right handed...

Yeah sorry, the bit:
Was my own observation of the definition, it isn't included in the rule itself.

The USBC has rules regarding this, and they state that in adult competition, a combination of one handed and two handed is allowed, so long as they are delivered with the same hand. Their rule for youth competions however make it clear that a player can only use either the one or two handed delivery.

There is a reason as to why Jason Belmonte and Osku Palermaa spare Two Handed now, as far as I am aware, I know Osku spared one handed and I think Belmo did also.

Going by your view of the rules, it may not be illegal but it can be frowned upon by some people. I have known to be a little, I guess jealous is the right word, of two handed bowlers but have accepted that it can be a way to get bowling to move forward after seeing how successful Belmo is and how much exposure that those 2 main stars have been getting in both the US and Europe.

Best thing I would say would be to practice and practice trying to spare the right hand side 2 handed, both with a resin ball and also a plastic ball too so that you can teach yourself to use both ways to be able to spare, one by normal hook shot with a plastic ball or the other where you break the wrist back so it goes straight.

G'Day,

To quote Jason Belmonte, a the point of release only one hand is on the ball not two.

You technically have a two handed approach, but a the point of delivery you are thumbless one handed, not two handed.

I know, picky but hey. Slow motion footage of Osku and Jason Belmonte will show that. More Jason than Osku.

And that is my 2cents worth.;)

It will be very interesting, to me anyhow, if, providing the rules quoted are accurate and that these rules are the only rules bearing on the matter, to see if anyone will see where these rules, as they relate to 2 or 1 handed bowlers have no effect.

Who's a clever boy or girl then??

Pity I can't offer a prize for the first correct answer. :confused::surrender:

I had similar advice from TBA last year when I queried the legality of a bowler in a handicap league bowling two handed and one handed in the same game.

The way I understand all this is if it is open competition (i.e. no handicap) then you can bowl left, right or two handed.

The big difference is if you are to maintain an average/handicap then that average can only be obtained and maintained in one form of delivery. Either all left handed, all right handed or all two handed, you cannot mix the styles.

To me this is fairly straight forward, I don't have a problem with it and it is there to ensure fairness for all bowlers bowling in a handicap league or event.

G’Day,

I would like to expand on my comment a fraction further. Let’s look at the ball you are using with your two handed approach, one handed delivery.

Every ball must have a thumb hole. Example fingers and thumbs. If that ball is released with the thumb out of the ball and that ball also has a hole drilled for weight bias. Then I believe the ball would be deemed illegal as it has two additional holes.

By the rules of bowling only have one free hole per ball.

Yeah, this is a messy arguement.

G’Day,

I would like to expand on my comment a fraction further. Let’s look at the ball you are using with your two handed approach, one handed delivery.

Every ball must have a thumb hole. Example fingers and thumbs. If that ball is released with the thumb out of the ball and that ball also has a hole drilled for weight bias. Then I believe the ball would be deemed illegal as it has two additional holes.

By the rules of bowling only have one free hole per ball.

Yeah, this is a messy arguement.
John, the reason for the "thumb hole is to give the ball some orientation and it needs to be covered when delivered. If not, a two handed bowled deliver the ball "upside down" and get two different reactions from the same ball.
Also what about "Palmers" who then put their thumb in for spares.

G'Day,

I absolutey aggree 100% with that, that is why it needs to be classed as a thumbless delivery two handed approach.

Look at the pictures of Osku's delivery. There is only one hand on the ball, the other hand is removed at the bottom of the swing.

True two hander is what three year olds do.

Attachments

• oskudelivery01.jpg
    oskudelivery01.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 21
  • oskudelivery02.jpg
    oskudelivery02.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 18
  • oskudelivery03.jpg
    oskudelivery03.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 19
Sorry, I don't like to bag out the TBA on a public forum, but IMO John Coxon has got this DEAD WRONG! Probably needs to get out of the 20th century in thinking and accept two handed bowling is here to stay and promote the sport rather than try to limit it.
As pointed out Osku throws the ball one handed for spares. If its ok by the PBA and Europe.......well, need I say more.
FWIW I bowl two handed but sometimes spare with one hand.
When I release the ball, there is only one hand on the ball.
BTW, rather than just moan here I'll also be asking the TBA for a ruling.
Dinesh

Email sent to John Coxon and Gordon Little. I've asked them to forward the email to Cara.
Hopefully they will be able to shed some light on the subject.

The rule is open to interpretation but I read it a few time and firstly thought along the lines as yourself but after re reading it, I beg to differ.

"The same rules apply to a bowler delivering the ball conventionally or two handed. In any scores used to compute an average, the ball must be delivered the same way."

I think the intent is there to make it fair playing field. You can look at all the technicalities of the delivery but we all classify Belmo and Osku as 2 handed bowlers regardless of hand positions at point of release.

I haven't seen Belmo spare 1 handed but I think everyone has seen Osku spare 1 handed and honestly it is pretty much hit and miss...

My son bowls 2 handed and as much as we all need a good laugh nothing would be funnier than watching him spare 1 handed...

I've been bowling two handed for nearly 7 years.

You are well within your rights to throw the first shot two handed and the spare shot one handed in either scratch or handicap play as long as it is delivered on the same side of the body. This is for the same reason someone else mentioned earlier, at release it is essentially a one handed delivery anyway as the second hand comes off first.

I've encountered all the same questions and protests in the past, don't let it worry you, they can't stop you.

Email back from John.......he stands by his decision that both hands deliver the ball at the same time and second ball must be the same. So apparently, They can stop you.
What BS!
Would love to see Osku roll in to the oz masters and have the TBA DQ him. Lol.

Hi Denish,

Quick question, are both hands on the ball at the point of delivery?

Ask for a definition of a delivery?

I know, I am being vocal on this and at the end of the day I probably should not be. I guess history with bowling governing bodies still fires me up after so many years away from them.

If a rule is not clear then it needs to be defined.

In this case what is defined as the delivery, the way the ball is carried to the foul line or the point at which the ball leaves the hand. Appears obvious to me. There is a defining point in this case and it just needs clarity.

There a lot of people bowling with a two handed approach these days so the rule really does effect the new generation of bowler.

The rules are there to stop you bowling right handed and left handed in the same game.

I understand Johns take that is you use both hands to deliver the ball then the spare should be the same as you are not bowling either right ot left handed it is both.

If you take Belmo or Osku they both deliver the ball with one hand (right) they use the other hand to carry the ball through the approach.

If you are doing the same and releasing the ball with one hand there is nothing stopping you from sparing with one hand as long as you deliver it with the same hand as your first shot. In essence you are only using one hand to deliver the ball not two..

As for the ball needing to have a thumb hole drilled as earlier stated, this is incorrect, a ball can have two finger holes drilled and no thumb. As long it is within the static weight limits it is legal to bowl it either way around. The measurements for static weights are taken form the middle of the bridge.

Back
Top Bottom