Interesting Rule clarification - Switching hands

Don't think that's right. One wouldn't, for example, be permitted to bowl thumbless if the label area was not in your palm as you'd, in effect, be outside of side/top weight tolerance.

Re the left/right hand delivery, the absence of a rule does not necessarily mean the activity is permitted.

Which is exactly what I said earlier. In an open and scratch tournament, throw the ball however you want, just make sure it weighs up, stay behind the line and best of luck.

The rarity in which changing something would be a benefit to you is too high. Just work with what you've got and make it work.

Cow

Of course, if you're accurate enough like that it raises the question why not to take the advantage of extra power and revolutions and bowl with both hands for the first shot... :p

cant get anywhere near the head pin with a reactive. It's hard enough for me keeping on the right hand side of the lan 2 handed with my plastic spare ball. :bullrider:

cant get anywhere near the head pin with a reactive. It's hard enough for me keeping on the right hand side of the lan 2 handed with my plastic spare ball. :bullrider:

yeah i can vouch for that, but even one handed yo have trouble keeping it on the lane lol

My 2cents.

I note that most replies are focusing on the fact that the rule book does not state that you "can not" change change hands in a scratch event, but does it state that you "can" change hands. Yes, agree this is an interpretation issue which was the focus of Georges original question.

So then would the general ruling for entering a league, event or tournament not take precidence in that if you commence you first delivery with a particular hand you must complete the league, event or tournament using only that hand.

Two handed maybe different story.

Eric R.

Why the hell would a lefthander want to change hands in this country? :D

This is excatly what i was going to post...I am surprise George is even worried about this rule...unless he is worried the righties might start practising standing on the wrong side of the ball :)

The rule specifically refers to establishing an average in league play. If the intent of the rule were to disallow the use of both hands, it would be reasonable to expect it to state that you cannot change hands at any time.

For this reason, I think a reasonable interpretation is that provided you are not establishing an average in league play, and not seeking to obtain an unfair advantage, changing hands is perfectly legitimate.

Personally, I throw it ok left handed (there are some cruel people who have suggested I throw it better with my left hand :D) and I would not hesitate to shoot for say a 2-8-10 left handed if I absolutely needed a spare for a win. And I have seen shots where the right breaks down to unplayable, where it may well be advantagous to throw the first ball left handed and spare right handed. Not going to happen very often though.

And I have seen shots where the right breaks down to unplayable, where it may well be advantagous to throw the first ball left handed and spare right handed. Not going to happen very often though.

This happens at nearly every event longer than 8 games in a day int his country, ie Super Six and any national event. But guess this is getting off the subject.

George might come out and tell us he is really a better bowler right handed :surrender:

There is no chance of this happening, you obviously haven't seen George try to bowl righthanded. :p

On the subject, there has only been a couple of times where I have switched hands during a tournament and had to finish left handed, either due to tearing thumbs or straining muscles etc.

There has never been a problem to do so, the tournament director always knew the purpose and the only gripe was if I happened to beat someone in matchplay because they threw a low game to begin with.

And Jez is right, why would you want to not bowl left handed if the tournament lasts more than 6-8 games.

Back
Top Bottom