Rule Clarrification

Lyndsay_Packer

StormNation
Just seeking a rule clarrification.

A bowler who bowls with 2 fingers but doesn't use his thumb still has to have a thumb hole drilled in his ball, I know this much for sure, but my understanding is also that the thumb hole has to be covered by his bowling hand during the delivery of the ball, is this correct and can someone give me the ruling number in the rule book for it please?

Lyndsay.

This came up more than once at Holt this year.

The rules state that you must not drill more than 12 holes in a ball, being NO MORE THAN five gripping holes, one vent hole each, a balance hole and a mill hole for inspection purposes.

Therefore you don't actually need to have a thumb hole drilled, no. In fact the same rule continues to talk about howto weigh up the ball and includes reference to when there is no thumb hole.

To answer the question though; you need to cover it if it's a gripping hole. If you don't cover the thumb hole, it's a balance hole - which if you don't have another balance hole is still okay BUT you must measure the static weights from the grip centre on the bridge of the fingers.

Back
Top Bottom