Legal Delivery Question

MinusZero

>LOAD "Something",8,1
Hi,

I had a question on the legal delivery of a ball. A guy in my bowling league has the normal three holes drilled in his ball, but does not use his thumb when delivering the ball.

A while back i checked in the rules and i am sure it said that its ok to do it because the thumb hole is then classed as the balance hole...but if it has a balance hole, then the thumb must be used.

However, i just reviewed the rules and rule 603 states: Any hole drilled for gripping purposes will not be deemed to be a balance hole. It also says that the thumb must be in or over the hole.

Has this rule changed or am i imagining things? Going by the latest rule book...it would mean his delivery is illegal. I wish i had kepy my previous copy of the rules.

Has anyone else come across this situation?

Hi MinusZero,

Being a two handed bowler I feel I can answer this as it applies to myself.

I have checked up on the rules with TBA previously. If the ball has a thumb hole drilled, then the bowler (if using the ball with their thumb out) has to cover the thumb hole with the palm of the hand or the base of the thumb. Whether the ball has a balance hole or not is irrelevant. Therefore, if the ball has a thumbhole and a balance hole, the bowler can leave the thumb out, so long as the bowler covers the thumbhole.

The whole reason for having this rule that the bowler must cover the thumbhole is to make sure the ball is not delivered in the reverse way (ie - turning the ball 180 degrees to face the other direction. Doing so changes the reaction of the ball in many cases). This is stated to clarify why the rule is given in rule 603: "It (the thumb) may not be 180 degrees away from the thumbhole".

If he is covering (or mostly covering) the thumbhole, then he is using a legal delivery.

Hope this clears up any confusion,

Tim.

Back
Top Bottom