Interesting Rule clarification - Switching hands

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
This rule is in regards to changing hands during a frame or game in organised competition. This is a USBC rule and I cannot find a TBA ruling on this.

It's basically saying as long as it is not a handicap or classified tournament (local championships where entering averages are required) it is ok to change hands to shot a spare.

i.e. If a right hander leaves a 2-10 in an open scratch event they would be allowed to shoot it left handed (if they had the skill and ability to do such a thing). Here is the USBC rule, is there a TBA equivalent?

328. Changing Delivery
In handicap and classified tournaments, once the bowler has taken his/her first shot, he/she shall continue to use that hand throughout the tournament unless, due to injury, the bowler finds it impossible to continue bowling with the same hand. The bowler may seek approval of the tournament director to continue with the opposite hand.

that has happened in singles comp, i asked about it and was told that seeing that is scratch you are allowed to change hands, which i must say is silly

i cant see why it's silly?

there arent any rules in any other ball sports (that i know of) that require a person to only use one leg/arm?

Rugby League, Union, AFL, Soccer - can use both feet to kick the ball

Tennis - Forehand and backhand

etc etc etc

If you have the skill to bowl well enough with both hands then so be it....i know that bowling left handed is cheating (right George?) but with that being said i cant see the problem....

i cant see why it's silly?

Tennis - Forehand and backhand

etc etc etc

If you have the skill to bowl well enough with both hands then so be it....i know that bowling left handed is cheating (right George?) but with that being said i cant see the problem....

FYI: Both the Forehand and backhand shots are delivered with the same arm not by switching arms or via a double handed grip!

As far as I'm aware the ruling here is a person must continue to deliver the ball via the same hand throughout an event that was used to deliver the first ball (or was nominated by the bowlers when they entered the event). Now saying that, this does throw up a grey are for two handers who choose to bowl one handed at spares but that is another story.

There is no clause to this rule regarding whether the event is scratch or handicapped. It applies to all events.

I always thought that was due to your handicap being based off a particular hand. I could enter a handicap tournament with a 120 left handed average, and switch hands to my right for spares? Now that is not fair, I'm much better with my right hand.
In an open tournament, if you think your best option to knock down all ten pins is get down on all fours and use your head to hit the ball down the lane then do it. Just make sure the ball weighs up,stay behind the line, and best wishes to you.
If you have practiced using your opposite hand and feel confident enough to try it in a tournament then go for it.

Cow

Rule 122 (in part)..

"When establishing an average in league play, a right-handed bowler must bowl right-handed at all times. Similarly, a left-handed bowler must bowl left-handed at all times. Penalty: forfeiture of game. No combination of scores bowled both right and left-handed will be used in computing an average. A new average must be established if the bowler finds it necessary to change his delivery from right to left-handed or vice versa. Refer to Rule 213 for further details on deliveries."

Rule 213 defines right/left handed deliveries for 2-handers.

Having trawled through the entire rule book, this is the only mention I found of right/left handed delivery rules. So, it would seem that it is perfectly OK to change hands in a scratch tournament, and it MAY be allowed in a handicap tournament provided that it was not an attempt to gain an unfair advantage (eg establishing a dodgy average with the 'wrong hand' then switching for the tournament).
IMHO, I would interpret any changing of hands to shoot any spare in a handicap tourny as an attempt to gain an unfair advantage, as it would not be allowed in the process of establishing the average you were competing off. You could probably switch hands to the less able side in a h/c tourny for reason of injury without penalty.

Cheers, Robbie.

Hello George

I did a search of the PDF version of the "TBA Ltd LEAGUE, TOURNAMENT and GENERAL PLAYING RULES VERSION 7.2 – 23/8/08"

And these are the only two sections I found in my quick search that has reference to your question, I hope it helps.

Cheers
Keith

RULE 122 AVERAGE - DEFINITION OF
A bowling average is determined by dividing the total number of pins credited to a bowler by the number of games bowled in one league in a season. When establishing an average in league play, a right-handed bowler must bowl right-handed at all times. Similarly, a left-handed bowler must bowl left-handed at all times. Penalty: forfeiture of game. No combination of scores bowled both right and left-handed will be used in computing an average. A new average must be established if the bowler finds it necessary to change his delivery from right to left-handed or vice versa. Refer to Rule 213 for further details on deliveries. In all cases, extra pins or fractions must be disregarded when using averages for handicapping or classification purposes. The extra pins will be reduced to a percentage of a pin only for the purpose of deciding individual position standings in a league.

RULE 213 BALL DELIVERY DEFINITION
If the ball is delivered on the right hand side of the body, the delivery will be deemed to be a right handed delivery, regardless of whether any holes drilled for gripping purposes are used or not. Similarly, if the ball is delivered on the left hand side of the body, the delivery will be deemed to be a left handed delivery, regardless of whether any holes drilled for gripping purposes are used or not.

BTW, just for Terry - going back a few years, there was a player on the tennis pro tour who changed hands to serve. He served from one court left handed and one right handed so he could hit the big swing serve away from the tee from both sides.

Bowling is supposed to be a game of skill. If you have the skill to use either hand, why should you be penalised? Are there any other sports that specify that you must use one hand exclusively?

In an open tournament, if you think your best option to knock down all ten pins is get down on all fours and use your head to hit the ball down the lane then do it. Just make sure the ball weighs up,stay behind the line, and best wishes to you.

Cow

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA;)

Skeet the rule mentions establishing and average and league play, open scratch tournaments do not require an average. This is what I'm trying to clarify, in the states its perfectly acceptable in open scratch competition. Still no clear clarification.

Are there any other sports that specify that you must use one hand exclusively?

Jai Alai must be played right-handed only, as players would be in danger of grievous harm if the pelota were to be propelled from a cesta worn of the left arm.

Polo is the only other sport which forbids playing left-handed, for basically the same reason.

As others have siad, I cant see why it is an issue at all in Scratch tournaments as it is you versus the lane and the pins ..... if swapping disadvantages you then so be it.

The only time I can see it being an issue is in matchplay of a scratch tournament where bonus pins are up for grabs .... but even then youd be hurting yourself and your own performance more than anyone else - but there would be potential for issues ....

having said that, I have no problem with it in scratch play .... particularly if it is a genuine swap of hands to suit the spare your shooting or to take advantage of conditions on the other side of the lane. If your good enough to do that, I say good luck to you!!!!

Now saying that, this does throw up a grey are for two handers who choose to bowl one handed at spares but that is another story.

There is no grey area. The TBA rules specifically state that if it is bowled on the same side of the body, it's fine.

In a scratch tourny who cares, bowl it out of your backside if you think that's what will get it done. The dominant hand is always going to be the most consistant shot, if you can change hands for a tricky split good luck to you.

The problem with doing it in a handicap event is exactly as someone said above, I enter with my 120 left hand average and realising I need a big one, I switch to my right and shoot 210's...

Scratch event, do what you like

so then can anyone confirm for me if i shoot the ball with my right hand only then want to convert a 7 pin 2 handed is this legal. handicap league, tournament or not.:confused:

so then can anyone confirm for me if i shoot the ball with my right hand only then want to convert a 7 pin 2 handed is this legal. handicap league, tournament or not.:confused:

As already mentioned it depends on what you are bowling in. If it is a scratch event you can release/throw the ball however you like.

If it is a handicap event like league or average base event such as state championships or nationals you must not change hands. Bowling 2 handed verses 1 handed on the same side of your body (as stated by Tim) is still considered releasing the ball with the same hand, just a different style of release/delivery.

Of course, if you're accurate enough like that it raises the question why not to take the advantage of extra power and revolutions and bowl with both hands for the first shot... :p

If it is a scratch event you can release/throw the ball however you like.
Don't think that's right. One wouldn't, for example, be permitted to bowl thumbless if the label area was not in your palm as you'd, in effect, be outside of side/top weight tolerance.

Re the left/right hand delivery, the absence of a rule does not necessarily mean the activity is permitted.

Back
Top Bottom