arafura handicap classic singles what r rules for

R

rob

an ntis female bowler cleaned both of her balls , during the final stage of the tornament .
a protest was lodged to the tornament directors , to the disgust of all bowlers that partipated she was still allowed to bowl ( with both balls ) and finished second .
the tornament was tba sanctioned therefore all tba rules applied .
what happened to the one for all rule .
this better not happen during classic singles :shock:

Rob,

I believe that rule enforcement at local handicap tournaments is always laxer than national events.

I have seen bowlers use cleaning equipment on bowling balls during play in league and handicap tournaments without being disqualified on many occassions.

In the National Events this will not be tollerated.

I doubt the cleaning of the ball(s) affected the final outcome.

Having said that in defence of the decision- I do agree with you that rules are rules are rules. What applies to one should apply to all and it will be interesting to see if TBA officials take any action in respect of this reported breach.

Rob - do you know if a TBA representative was present or not? (the bowl staff dont qualify)

"Once sanctioned competition has commenced, thou shalt not use any cleaning equipment to clean/alter the outer surface of one's bowling equipment"

That rule has always been an old chestnut, we had a similar problem in the Walter De Veer roll-offs this year, with a bowler (who ultimately did not make the seven) who was continuously cleaning his ball with a towel soaked in metho in between shots.

This was bought to the attention of the TD - who then advised the player to cease doing this immediately.

That same week, the player responsible also continued to do the same thing in league - a protest was lodged, and a meeting was called, to make all players aware, that this practice was strictly prohibited.

Rules are rules regardless, however I believe there should be some recourse for bowlers, bowling in dirty centres - nothing worse than having a ball coming back up the ball return looking like it's been dropped in the goal square at the local footy ground 8)

Just an FYI for all.

There are some products out there that are designed by the bowling manufacturers so they can be used during sanctioned competition. Some of them even state on the bottles "ABC/WIBC APPROVED. Can be used during sanctioned competition" (Ebonite, Neo-Tac, Columbia to name a couple)
They also make towels with oil absorbent material in them, which are also approved.

Surely if the American Bowling Congress approves them, so does the TBA??

If the a Bowler uses one of these so-called APPROVED Products, then there shouldn't be a problem, but, if they used a non-approved product (ie Metho, Acetone, etc) then there is a big problem. But keeping in mind, the TD still has to give the bowler a Yellow Card and say don't do it again b4 they can get a Red Card and be DQ'd. So you can get away with it once, under the current rulings.

Just something to think about.

Cheers

Interesting to note that the person lodgeing the protest was just knocked out of the tournament.

What ever happened to Tournament Director's Discretion.
This is also A TBA rule.

Sour Grapes Strikes Again..

The quote
"Some of them even state on the bottles "ABC/WIBC APPROVED. Can be used during sanctioned competition"

I thought this only ment during the Tournament as in Before or after NOT during. so if the event runs over 2 days, it is ok after the first day to use it, before you start on the second day etc..

This I think is a small instance of a bigger problem in Bowling
To many bowlers do not know the rules!!

Most regular tournament Bowlers (Not all) know the Rules.
However alot of league bowlers Have no idea about the rules.
I think leagues and Bowling Center's in general need to take more effot in making sure there members are aware of the Rules under which they are bowling. :D

The quote
"Some of them even state on the bottles "ABC/WIBC APPROVED. Can be used during sanctioned competition"

I thought this only ment during the Tournament as in Before or after NOT during. so if the event runs over 2 days, it is ok after the first day to use it, before you start on the second day etc..

This I think is a small instance of a bigger problem in Bowling
To many bowlers do not know the rules!!

I think it is pretty safe to assume that During means During, otherwise they wouldn't put it on the bottle. They would put b4 or after.

I also think that sometimes its not so much who does/doesn't know the rules, but who knows how to bend those rules to gain an advantage. As I said, the TD has to give you a warning 1st!

Perception is a wonderful, but sometimes dangerous, thing.

Cheers

hi tech or should i say mal
entry form states
protests / any protests must be confirmed in writing to the tournament director no later than 30 minutes after the infraction or dispute .
note / any matters arising which are not covered by these tournament rules will be determined by the tournament director .

this tournament was accredited and states in the entry form
all tba tournament rules and regulations will apply .

note / was it not you that said she could clean her thumb
hole knowing full well that she would clean the balls .
note / there was two writen protest logded .
and to my knowledge no yellow card was given :roll:

Your ignorance of how to correctly interpret the rules and the penalties that are required of offences is rather amusing. As required by the rules she was given a verbal warning. If you were bothered to read all the rules before going off half cocked, you may not make so much of a fool of yourself in the future.

GUS said:
Just an FYI for all.

There are some products out there that are designed by the bowling manufacturers so they can be used during sanctioned competition. Some of them even state on the bottles "ABC/WIBC APPROVED. Can be used during sanctioned competition" (Ebonite, Neo-Tac, Columbia to name a couple)
They also make towels with oil absorbent material in them, which are also approved.

Cheers

I have asked that question before to a senior member of the TBA board, and the answer I got was that you can't even spit on your ball here in Australia.

So apparently what's good for ABC isn't good enough for TBA

tba rules chapter 6
RULE 602 ball surfaces alteration
altering the surface of a bowling ball by the application of
any substance , liquid or abrasive during a series or session
of continuous games is prohibited .a ball may be wiped with a clean cloth or towel at any time . penalties apply
OFFENCE 511
penalty - any balls so altered will immediately be removed from the lanes and use in the competition and a warning issued
to the player.
if it is shown that the player had prior knowledge that their
actions would be in violation of this rule , the game in which
the violation occurred is subject to forfeiture . in addition , the player is subject to removal from the event in progress .
please explain tech rules are rules

Gus

In relation to your post about the ABC/WIBC approval. ALL cleaning products would have to be approved by the ABC/WIBC for them to be sold by any manufacturer or bowling centre. Just because the ABC approves the cleaning product doesn't mean the TBA has to approve of it. Where on the bottle does it say that TBA have approved of the product.

Not all cleaning products are approved by the ABC/WIBC. This is because that product is manufactured for use outside of Tenpin Bowling. For example: ISOCOL isn't approved by ABC/WIBC but the chemical it contains (ISOPROPYL) is an approved chemical for cleaning bowling balls. This is because it doesn't soften the coverstock of the bowling ball to a state where the ball is deemed to be illegal as its surface is too soft.

The cleaning products state on the bottle that it can be used in sanctioned tournaments but under TBA rules a ball can only be cleaned before or after a series is to be bowled. If a ball is deemed to be cleaned during a comptetion including league then that ball is to be removed from the competition until that series has been bowled. Therefore if someone was bowling a super six tournament and cleaned their ball in game 1 of an 8 game series then that ball can't be used until the end of the 8th game. Further to this, whilst bowling your are able to clean your ball with a clean dry towel. Towels are made to absorb the oil from the lane not mask any cleaning agents that have been put onto the towel. If a towel has a cleaning agent on it and is being wiped onto the ball then that is the same as cleaning the ball or altering the surface of the ball. Therefore the ball would need to be removed from play. I would think you wouldn't be able to use the towel either.

TBA should be able to provide information on International rules and how the game of Tenpin Bowling is played overseas. Under TBA rules you aren't allowed to clean bowling equipment during competition. However, from what I understand in America you are able to clean your bowling gear. Therefore bowling manufacturers would need to take into account the rules of the game world wide when producing their product. The reason for this is that the ABC/WIBC approve this product based on a set of standards. Therefore, the manufacturers would need to meet these standards when producing the product.

Just my thoughts on the subject. 8) 8) 8)

I think that some tornament directors are a bit soft on the rules particually if they know the person. I think a standard should be made and imposed. One time in a Grand Prix event i witnessed a bowler soak his towl in isocol and than clean his ball, all this before we started. only to find two games in when i moved to the next pair that they were useing The same towl to wipe their ball every shot. I didnt say anything cause i didnt quite understand the rules. Is that allowed?.

No Steve, it isn't allowed - rule 602 does say a clean towel or cloth may be used to wipe the ball, and one that is drowned in isocol or metho or whatever it is that bowlers tend to clean their balls with, does not rate as clean.
(at least that is my interpretation of the rules, anyway :roll: )

Broni Morgan

Just while we are on the subject of what is and isn't allowed,can you use the same towel to wipe your ball and shoe before stepping onto the approach?

Just had mixed answers to this in league so i thought someone may know.

I suppose what it is that i am asking is,

If you wipe your shoe with a clean dry towl can you also wipe your ball before you bowl it with the same towl.

Jase

Jase said:
If you wipe your shoe with a clean dry towl can you also wipe your ball before you bowl it with the same towel. Jase
As far as I'm aware, yes you can do that. Put it this way, in all the years I've bowled, I've never ever heard anyone grumble about it.

Jase
You can use the same "clean" towel to wipe your ball and shoe, but don't blame anybody else if the oil transfers onto your shoe sole from the towel!

Makes a lot more sense to keep one towel for the ball and another towel for the shoe, if your centre is so dusty that it's a problem. Why not ask the centre staff to dust mop the approaches if they are a problem in league play. You pay your money for the centre to be clean and serviceable. If they won't keep their centre clean, vote with your feet and bowl elsewhere, but do them the courtesy of telling them that the approaches are too dusty. A good centre, like every successful business, wants to hear the views of their customers, provided the views are presented in a calm and rational manner. Not a raving complaint but an informed, mature observation.

Androo/Gus Regarding the statement earlier in the thread that although it is good enough for ABC/WIBC it is not good enough for TBA, this is because the TBA rules fall in line with the world rules, the WTBA. The USA have not adopted the world rules in some areas, although they comply with them in International competitions.
Sumo

Back
Top Bottom