Canberra Seniors Cup 2013

Hi Hollywood. Please note my earlier post today, i.e. I am not a Grand Senior and while I'm happy to stay in "A" squad, I would like to go on the reserves list for "B" squad. Good luck keeping everyone happy - not an easy task.

Cheers
Glenn Lennell

Tony, it's not that it's unusual but that it was full before any public announcement of the tournament was made is the problem.

Canberra filled up really quick this year, is this unusual or not?
If so why?

Hi Tony,
No this is no different than the last few years from what I have seen when helping Ian out with this tourny.
The bowlers that support the tourny's from year to year if their happy with the conditions and prize money
they seem to always be happy to continue to support, which is a good thing.
I am happy to agree with Bob W's earlier post about some new format but if it's going to be put out as a
set format to be adhered to then who's going to do it ? and when is it going to be put forward?? Otherwise who is
going to be the first tournament to be the guinea pig??

please find the updated squad listing. the reserves are being placed in order as they appear on these posts.
Ian is having problems at present with his computer so I am updating at present.

Kind Regards,

Hollywood.

Attachments

• Canberra Seniors Cup Squad List 2013.xls
    74.5 KB · Views: 41
Hollywood

The problem is that Ian has listed all the bowlers that put their name down at the 2012 tournament. Unfortunately some of us were not aware of the list.

When the entry form and squad listing were put up it had 5 vacancies in the B Squad left and there are a number of bowlers on the list that may not even be bowling next March. There are also some new bowlers that have been put on the list prior to it being advertised.

Also as a promoter & sponsor I thought that you could not start taking squad bookings until the tournament was accredited. South Australia had only filled a small amount of spots before it was put on the internet.

The NSW tournament squads are developed from requests made on totalbowling which makes it totalling transparent. Bowlers do not have a problem with the squads being full, they have a problem with some people getting priority over others

With more bowlers joining seniors and ACT refusing to increase the squad numbers means that bowlers are going to miss out.

On another note - Tony, I don't understand why you are getting involved, you did not support any interstate tournaments this year but still you have got a position in a squad prior to the squad listing being posted. I was speaking to Colleen last night and was not given information that the squads were all but full.

Also, Jeanette is not the defending champion next year as Julie Hird won this year's event - strange but true.

Susanne

Hi Hollywood, you will find that Julie Hird was the winner of Ladies 2012 Canberra Seniors. Apologies in order ?????

Ian/Hollywood, Deposit transferred tonite for Brenda Kirkwood, thanks.

On another note, with this tournament being so important for Seniors in 2013, perhaps you could open up the squads and allow more bowlers to enter?? Then eveyone gets the chance to bowl. Also no deposit by .?? date, no spot. (what about a Friday night squad).???
just my thoughts, Brenda

On another note - Tony, I don't understand why you are getting involved, you did not support any interstate tournaments this year but still you have got a position in a squad prior to the squad listing being posted. I was speaking to Colleen last night and was not given information that the squads were all but full.

Hi Sue (if it is Sue), If you or anyone bother to check the last Canberra Seniors open thread, you will see my pre entry for this tournament. Every one had the chance to do so, so no excuse. This has been going on for years with most tournaments running a book (hammer does it , SA does it, obviously Sydney doesn't) taking entries for those interested, common knowledge.
As far as your concern why am I getting involved in this talk, please tell me why I can't as a promoter of such event and as a bowler. I assume you want to gag people in making any open comment.

As far as waiting for the event entry to be out and credited before taking entries....won't work and you will still end up with the same problem, because not all people have access to all media, where tournaments are advertised.

It is unfortunate we are limited to number of lanes, because the number of games we bowl, but if you look at most or every tournament that has been bowled say in the past 3-4 years. How many of these have been full, and I mean full. There are alway plenty of pull out i have found and generally everyone who wants to bowl gets a run. I know organizing it at the last moment is costly, especially if coming from interstate, then paying deposit at least 1 month prior may eliminate some of the pull-outs, but not the legitimate ones.......
As I said it's a tough one for any organizer ............

Cheers

Tony

On another note, with this tournament being so important for Seniors in 2013

Hey Brenda, I have been asking this question for awhile, why is this tournament so important for Seniors 2013, cause I have not read anything here or on the TBA to think why it would be.

If it is important, don't you think there leaving it a bit late considering how close hammer is away?

Just curious.

Hi Susanne / Julie Hird,

My sincerest apologies to Julie Hird mixed info, yes you are right Julie is the defending champion.
I agree with Tony above, even though only a helper but now a senior bowler it does seem most Senior Tournaments
have done this for some time. Don't know anything about new bowlers appearing on the list so I won't comment.
I think it will be up to the next committee here to determine how it will be advertised & run for 2014 and I know there
are bowlers always ageing in every year but unless all Senior Tournaments are going to run the same way I don't see what
has changed.

I believe we increased the squad numbers in 2011 & last year to 96 from 72 from previous years so that is totally incorrect!!
That can be looked at for 2014 by the new committee if everyone thinks that you can guarantee a FULL tourny of 120 bowlers
then worth considering but if you have pull outs and not have full squads you then have bowlers standing around waiting for others lanes to finish and getting cold. Just my thoughts.

Cheers Hollywood.

I believe we increased the squad numbers in 2011 & last year to 96 from 72 from previous years so that is totally incorrect!!
My point was if you could have 96 bowlers that could bowl, DID YOU have a full field bowl i.e 96 bowl. Was there any spots available on the day.
Maybe you did. Just asking. Looks like you had 94 out of 96 actually bowl. Had a couple of names retire but no scores next to there names. Not sure if they started.
We (SA Seniors Classic) were full with 96 but only 91 bowled, few late pull outs........
We this year already have 11+ reserves....I would love to increase to 5 per pair, but I think that would add far too much time, for those that have to travel.

For those of you at Keon Park recently, it was discussed in briefing about squad listings. We all accept that things happen to prevent someone from participating in an event. However, just like the "old" days of NSW Grand Prix Series, if there is no deposit there is no guarantee that a place will be held. At the recent tournament this concept was mooted as too often people put their names down, don't pay a deposit, don't make a phone call and, of course, don't show up. I believe that at Caboolture earliear this year approximately 16 bowlers didn't advise they would not be bowling. Therefore, what about the reserves who have paid deposits.

Is it possible with the numbers growing to enter in the Senior events, that we could make it policy that a spot cannot be held unless deposit is paid. Should you need to with and advise the tournament officials, your deposit will roll over until next year. However, should a bowler choose not to notifiy the tournament officials of their non attendance, then their deposit will be absorbed into the prize fund.

Your thoughts folks????!!!!

Hi All,

Please find the updated squad lists as of 10.00am this morning.

Cheers,
Ian/Hollywood.

Attachments

• Canberra Seniors Cup Squad List 2013.xls
    73.5 KB · Views: 37
This has been going on for years with most tournaments running a book (hammer does it , SA does it, obviously Sydney doesn't) taking entries for those interested

Sorry Sue, take that back Sydney is running a book on total bowling 7 months in advance of the tournament.....

For those of you at Keon Park recently, it was discussed in briefing about squad listings. We all accept that things happen to prevent someone from participating in an event. However, just like the "old" days of NSW Grand Prix Series, if there is no deposit there is no guarantee that a place will be held. At the recent tournament this concept was mooted as too often people put their names down, don't pay a deposit, don't make a phone call and, of course, don't show up. I believe that at Caboolture earliear this year approximately 16 bowlers didn't advise they would not be bowling. Therefore, what about the reserves who have paid deposits.

Is it possible with the numbers growing to enter in the Senior events, that we could make it policy that a spot cannot be held unless deposit is paid. Should you need to with and advise the tournament officials, your deposit will roll over until next year. However, should a bowler choose not to notifiy the tournament officials of their non attendance, then their deposit will be absorbed into the prize fund.

Your thoughts folks????!!!!

Hi Jeanette,

Totally agree with above, but not with deposits rolling over. If people read the Entry Form it does say in caps that the deposit is NON-Refundable for that very reason that bowlers sometimes don not advise until far too late or not at all and it is absorbed into the prize fund. The Entry Form also states that until such deposit is received that your spot even though showing in the squad list IS NOT confirmed. But I do beleive that the cut-off for entries probably should be bought forward to a month before the Tournament to give the reserves time to organise flights if needed and accommodation, Particularly for 2013 as it is our 100 year celebrations and there is a lot going on all month not just on the Canberra Day long weekend which is a couple of weeks before.
As the Tournament has not been accredited as yet we can bring the cut-off forward to the Friday 22nd February 2013. If deposits have not been received by this date then the reserves if paid will get the spot. Futher to this in the case of the RESERVES if they do not get a start then their deposit is refunded.
Your Thoughts everybody ASAP and will have the entry form changed to reflect this.

Regards,

Ian/Hollywood.

Hi Bowlers,

Just thought I would let you know the Accommodation rate that Country Comfort Motel ( Sponsor ) across the road from the bowl has given us.
$149.00 per room per night up to 2 people. When booking let them know you are one of the bowlers for the ATBSO Canberra Seniors Cup it is a block booking and ask for LIZ. Phone: 02 6293 3666

Kind Regards, Ian.

Back
Top Bottom