Why aren't there more Australians on the PBA Tour

I don't think Wayne's initial question was an attack on bowlers in Australia, more that it was blunt and slightly antagonistic.
I can see where the question comes from as we do have some very capable bowlers in this country and there are only a few who bowl outside of Australia (PBA). It is good to see that there is a group of very talented bowlers heading over to bowl in the world series this year and I think they will do well.
But I can also see the reasoning for not going as it is a huge expense and time off work isn't always easy to come by as is money.

Micheal Little was the first person I thought of when Wayne put up his Argument. Here was a guy that is sponsored by a Ball Company,this is the only way we in Australia can Compete in America. You must have a Sponsor.

I remember Billy Gardiner got a whole lot of Money together to try it in America but from my memory he never got past Hawaii, I don't know what happened from there, maybe others on this site know the full story.

So without a sponsor or a Lottery Win you have no chance of Competing.

willey

So true. The prizemoney is pitiful. It only reflects, of course, the profile of the sport. If tennis or golf for example paid this sort of money, we would have almost no one on tour for them either.

With them, you can join their tour and become a millionaire. With Tenpin you need first to be a millionaire, then join the tour.

Not stirring anything Michael. I really wanted to know why our elite bowlers haven't backed themselves and givene the pro tour a try...money and family are problems in the USA as well. But many, if not most of the touring players have wives and children at home. ..Tell me exactly why more of our bowlers haven't taken the leap. After all, just like the lottery, you have to be in it to win it. If you take a shot and succeed, GREAT!..if you take a shot and FAIL...at least you've given it a shot and there's still time to get that career job and live the white picket fence lifestyle.
To those bowlers who ARE travelling to America for the WSOB.. best of luck to you. I hope you do well!

Money problems are everywhere, but you are changing the parameter settings now, you do understand the geographical nature of where we are located? So it is tough for those who leave family at home in the States too right? That might be so but they probably face max 1 day travel somewhere, as opposed to 3-4 days of travel time from here, not to mention less expensive flights, less travel time, opposed to long travel times back and forth, in fact Australia is terrible for flights to just about anywhere. Big difference also, is that their family is still within the same country and but a mere flight or car trip away, similar to here I spose really for our own tournaments. But tell me why very few of the pros, head overseas to bowl in events that now belong to the tour and count as a PBA title if they win? It is the same handful of guys, who are already paid quite well by their ball companies, plus a few stragglers going for the experience of bowling somewhere other than the good ol US of A. I will give you a hint, you sometimes have some in your wallet.

Judging by the money paid in earnings above, 7th place, Ryan Ciminelli with 14 events bowled, is about the average wage earned in Australia according to the stats, that level of money in our economy is barely keeping your head above water with todays expenses, plus it is still a lot of time on tour, fair enough you can bowl WSOB and be there for 3 weeks and bowl in potentially 7 events, but there is still a whole lot of other events and you really need a good 3-4 months in actual time. Tell me where in Australia I can find a job where I can potentially have 3-4 months off work, and still have a job to come back too? Not to mention hope I earn a clear 1000 a week plus to support my family back home, mortgage payments, weekly expenses and the rest.

When you travelled and bowled the tour Wayne, did you have family, mortgage, kids to worry about, a full time job anywhere? Just curious. A lot of guys on tour earn extra money (in the states) by running proshops and bowling mega buck events, regionals and other tournaments that still generally offer decent coin, or are well covered by ball companies and other bowling related ventures, gaining sponsorship from bowling friendly sponsors that keeps them in good running with the tour. You just aren't comparing apples with apples here Wayne, it is Apples vs Oranges vs Bananas.

So again instead of making antagonistic comments, word your posts a bit better, recognise that the answer or situation isn't as simple as saying, just go and do it and maybe offer an alternative to the current situation for a lot of bowlers here that would like to give it a crack but can't. Not saying it is impossible to do or trying to be negative, it is just reality, and there are a whole lot of sacrifices to be giving away weighed up against the lack of success.

For me personally, it is hopefully on the agenda for next year, hopefully either the summer swing as is on now or the WSOB later in the year as they make the most sense to compete in as many in as shorter period of time, but I have to wait and to be honest, am not ready at the moment bowling and skill wise to give it a shot properly, so I am also happy to give myself 6-12 months preparation time in case I have the opportunity to do so next year.

The Tour never really paid that much and it really wasn't all about the money. It was about being one of the best bowlers in the world..and it still is!

In a traditional nostalgic essence, this may be true, but such an American thing to say, that only be bowling on the PBA tour can someone be one of the worlds best, but so much more opportunity to earn bigger dollars for less expensive in other parts of the world. It would be nice to say you are No1 on tour, and hopefully Belmo gets that right later in the year, but to do so, he has worked his ass off for the best part of the last 7-8 years to get there and is now reaping the rewards.

I played the Fall Tour in 1992. I met some great people, had a pretty good time. But I discovered something I'd never understood in it's full magnitude.

I love being at home.

And there's nowhere you can realise this quite so much as when you're away for months on end. When the guys on tour need a home fix, they can be there in a couple of hours to a day max. When you travel from Australia, this is not an option. It's bloody lonely out there and the loneliness accumulates with time. You start counting the sleeps. The good time you were having becomes a thing to endure. Just reflecting on it makes me feel depressed. Seeing the guys who spent theirs lives on tour sitting alone at the bar every night made me realise this was not for me.

I don't know how Belmo does it and I tip my hat to him for getting it done so well. I know he misses his family like hell. I'd go mad, personally.

As for being the world's greatest bowler... It's a personal thing and just doesn't matter to me. (I don't think it ever did, to be honest.) In Vegas in 2010, Terry Wenban commented that I seem to have more fun drilling balls than throwing them these days. It sure was true then. He's pretty close to the mark most days, with that comment. When bowling isn't fun, I don't play, because I never want to turn something I love into a job again.

I'll also be going to the World Series, then Wichita State will be my stepping stone to the tour.
Despite what it may seem from my previous post, this news makes me genuinely happy. I hope it's everything you want it to be Sam. Your work ethic surrounding your game is self-evident and you improve substantially every time I see you play.

I've no doubt you'll give as good as you get, and that you're the kind of big hearted guy who will discover the joy of giving more and more. Knock 'em dead, kid! ;)

Pretty much has all been said, especially by Mick...but at the end of the day look at the earnings.....it is not excatly appealing to throw your job in and try and make a living from bowling on tour....hell most of the guys on the tour are not making enough money. There are a hand full that consistently earn good coin just from the tournament prizefunds.

Belmo is the best bowler on the planet right now but he has used that to set up other income streams through bowling (e.g. IAB) to ensure his financial security. Most PBA events are $10K on top now...that is not great money.

I am sure there are many guys and girls that would have loved to give it a shot and if the risk was worth the reward would have done it...but the risk is too great for very little reward.

Is it about the money ? Or the experience ? I'm going with Matt chris and ash in October
I don't except to cut or make money,but I do except to come back with a better
Understanding, knowledge, experience, stories, and maybe a few more bowling
Friends. To me that is worth a 10k first prize even just to pass my experience and stories on to juniors
And hopefully one day they will do the same for the next generation of juniors.

I think going over and bowling in one location at the same bowl is a little different than going on tour. Travel costs, Accommodation, food, assimilation to local conditions. It all takes its toll. I know when Cara traveled to the USA to bowl on the PWBA tour in the 90s the only reason she stayed on after her initial 4 torny swing was because she bowled a 300 on TV. The bonus from that allowed her to stay a little longer and of course gave her a very high profile. I would think traveling around the states living out of a suitcase whilst trying to compete against the best in the world would be hard enough without being 10000 klm from home.

Back
Top Bottom