Who Would Want To Be A Qld Rachuig Selector

H

Hedley

Who, in their right mind, would want to be a selector for the Queensland Rachuig Men's Team? Looking at the "field" on paper, it was always going to be a tough job to select the last two spots, especially if a couple of roughies/rookies made the top 5. Knowing this, I would not want the job for quids; for every person you please, you disappoint many, many more. However, someone has to do it, and these hardy souls have my sympathy and grudging admiration for their courage.

In a recent post on the old Tenpinbowling.com Forum, Leftback (aka Tony Hamilton) asked the question: "What would happen if three or more of the big names miss the first 5 spots". Well Tony, take a bow, your crystal ball must have been working overtime, because that's exactly what happened. Four of the "big names" that Hamo mentioned by way of example were, Cameron and Jason Walsh, Morty Douglass and Brandon Qualischefski. Two of them, Cameron (4th) and Morty (5th), qualified automatically, together with Jon King (1st), David Turnage (2nd) and Phillip Ramsay (3rd). Unfortunately, the other two, Jason Walsh (9th) and Brandon Qualischefski (13th), finished outside the top 5. Complicating matters further, another BIG name, Ian Hughes (10th), also missed the cut, along with at least fifteen other bowlers with varying claims for consideration.

The final margin between 6th spot (Robert Muller) and 13th (Brandon Qualischefski) was only 61 pins, so the selectors had plenty of "food for thought" when they convened to make their decision. How, for example, could you leave out someone with BQ's record, a proven performer at the top level with a string of firsts to his credit and international experience. He had a very un-Brando like day on Saturday (26th after 6 games) and was still 21st with only 3 games remaining. He then finished with a typical "Brando-Burst", bowling a 731 block (265-233-233) to narrow his personal gap on 6th spot by 116 pins. My personal view is that IF there had been another 2 games, he would have finished in the top 5. (Not that this would have helped the selectors much, since it would have been at the expense of another top-class bowler.)

On the other hand, Ian Hughes also has the runs on the board and a Queensland Rachuig Team without Poppy would be un-thinkable. And what of the other six bowlers who finished in the top 13? Four of them (Robbie, Jason, Matthew Middlemiss and Alistair Howard) are in the Youth National Training Squad and Robbie bowled brilliantly for Queensland last year. They all have great futures in bowling if they continue their, so-far, successful transition from the Junior to the Adult ranks without succumbing to the lure of all the other siren-calls (both duty and pleasure) on their life. Ian Schuller and Darryl Alford (who bowled a 300) finished 7th and 8th, respectively, and, obviously, merited very serious consideration. (There are another dozen or more names I could mention but Andrew Shinnie will really get up me if I go on much longer!!)

The reality is that 8 into 2 does not go and neither does 3 into 2. So Tony's "what-if" had become a "what-is" and it was time for the selector's to "earn their keep" (they are unpaid, of course) and make some real tough calls. In the end, they selected the 6th and 10th placed finishers, Robbie and Poppy. I'm sure both (along with the other 12 Team members) will do a great job for the Sunshine State and the Holy Grail of Tenpin Bowling will, finally, come North of the Boarder to keep company with the Pura Milk Cup (it never sounds as good as the "Shield") and the NRL Trophy. Go Queensland!

Incidently, with only a game or two to go, the Ladies Team selectors looked like having to make at least one equally tough call about whether to go out-side the top 7. However this sorted itself out in the last round and they had an "arm-chair" ride compared to the Men's Team selectors.

There were plenty of bowlers in that field that have done enough over the past year to deserve to get picked. Imagine if others who didn't nominate had (ie Carl, Besty) - we would have an amazing time trying to pick a team.
Though it is a tough thing for selectors .. is it such a bad thing for the sport in Queensland. Whereas previously the couple of top bowlers who tried out were basically assured of their spots in the team, nowadays there is so much talent in Queensland that it is a roll of the dice as to who will make the team.

IS THIS SUCH A BAD THING ?

This means to make the Queensland team you have to try damn hard at the rolloffs .. there are 30 other people there with the same intention as you .. making the team.

I guess there is 2 sides to this discussion which reverts back to the same old arguement, roll off or no roll off.

My personal opinion is that if you are good enough to represent your country, you should be auto qualify for your state team. Most countries around the world do this and to me it makes perfect sense, but rules are different everywhere you go.

Roll offs are good in the sense that it attracts bowlers who on selection wouldn't make the top 7. It gives bowlers a chance to represent their state and make the team. I'm sure if the selection process would have been different (like submit your resumes) there is no way the men would have attracted 30+ bowlers.

Auto qualify AUS members and then roll off the rest would be my choice of picking the team, but I guess it's not up to me.

Good luck to the team, it's not about the pins, it's about beating your opponent. Kick some NSW blues arse! Beware other Rachuig Teams, this could be the year!

It also may not, we'll just have to see
icon_biggrin.gif

hi all i have to agree with craig on this one ,the first seven past the post give everyone the same chance. if you dont bowl well in the roll offs bad luck.and george just because someone might be an aussie rep shouldnt give them a free ride into the qld team ,there is alot of guys out there that would love to represent qld ,but for 1 reason or another they cant go away with the national team (work,family,MONEY).

so if you are going to have a roll-off let the first 7 past the post go they deserve it. if you are going to hand pick the team do away with roll-offs save everyone some money and pick the team on tournment results or national rankings.

hey george how about some results from the usa have u bowled in anything big yet?

i believe there should be trials for every state, i believe that they should be all over the same format and games.

there should be NO SELECTION therefore to entice the fringe players that know they have a chance to fall in the 7 but not deep enough in to secure their place under the current system (i.e ian schuler who won the last wide bay tournament at kingaroy)

in the 80's when the victorian team went years without being defeated, it was first 7 past the post, and they used to get up to 80 trying out every year. since victoria went selection how many wins have they had, how many people do they get trying out, answer the ratio has taken a nose dive.

i hope we are one of the first states now to let common sense prevail, to make rachuig is all about preparation, and it doesn't matter how good you are, the more you are prepared the better chance you have of making it, bring back a good trialling system with a cut to the top 7.

Hi Graham,

I totally agree with your sentiments about how good it was to see so many top class bowlers trying out for the Queensland Rachuig Men's Team last weekend and how those that made it had to bowl their guts out against some really tough competition rather than just turning up and being assured of a place in the Team. I think this is GREAT for Tenpin Bowling in Queensland.

The original purpose of my post was to highlight what a tough job the selectors had in choosing the last two spots from such an array of talent. In passing, I also commented that I would not want their job for quids; well, not the REAL job anyway. However, I'm not averse to being an "ARM-CHAIR" selector (all care and no responsibility) and I've been mulling over your pertinent comments about: 1) there being "plenty of other bowlers in the field that have done enough over the past year to deserve to get picked" and 2) how it would have been an even tougher job to pick a Team if other bowlers who did not nominate, had decided to do so.

With your comments in mind, I thought I would have a go at picking two more teams; a Queensland Second Team, to illustrate the depth of talent amongst those who did roll-off, and a Queensland "What-If-They-Had-Nominated" Team, to show what could be if some of our Queensland bowling legends ever decide to give it another go.

I set myself a couple of rules for the Second Team; auto-select the Top 5 from the roll-offs that did not make the Team (i.e. the balance of the Top 12) and then select two more out of the Top 20 (this is in line with the REAL selectors decision not to go outside the Top 10). On this basis, the Second Team I came up with was:

Auto-select
Ian Schuller (winner at Kingaroy, the last event on the Wide Bay Grand Prix Circuit (WBGPC) - must have come close to making the First Team)
Darryl Alford (bowled a 300 under the intense pressure of the roll-offs, a quiet acheiver - always bowls well on the WBGPC)
Jason Walsh (just look at his record this year and in previous years - an Australian rep and an ideal "team-player", in the best sense of that term)
Matthew Middlemiss (winner at Maryborough, the second-last event on the WBGPC; a real confidence bowler and great at firing up a team - a NTS member)
Alistair Howard (still a teenager but learning fast; finished 24th and 15th in the South Australian and Perth Cups, respectively - a NTS member)
Selector's Choice
Brandon Qualischefski (not enough space here to list his achievements and representative honours - just watch what he does in the next few tournaments!!)
Barry Fagg (a 2000 team member and proven fighter who would benefit from participating in more big events; the kind of bowler every team needs).

In my view, this Team would give a very good account of itself in Rachuig competition.

The rules I set myself for the What-If Team were that the bowlers had to be currently residing in Queensland and currently active in Tournament Bowling. These criteria automatically excluded a number of top candidates from consideration, including Michael Little, George Frilingos and Graham Williams. My picks are:

Carl Bottomley (again, no resume required)
Tony Roderick (having just come out of temporary retirement, his results in Canberra (7th) and Perth (6th) speak for themselves)
Stephen Best (has so much talent, it's a crying shame we don't see more of him on the National scene)
Brendan Heathwood (turned 18 a few months ago but did not nominate; he has limitless potential and will lead the South Queensland President's Shield Team to yet another victory this year)
Damian McAndrew (A member of the 2000 team; nominated for the roll-offs but had to withdraw due to injury)
Peter Brown (since returning to Tournament Bowling after a long break Peter has turned in some very impressive performances - continues to learn amd improve)
Tony Hamilton (made the All-Star Team for the Association Challenge)

There are at least another ten serious contenders I can think of, but my memory is not so good these days, so I apologise if I've over-looked someone I should have included.

As one of our famous fellow posters says: THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. It is NOT intended to cause offence to anyone and I would be interested to see other peoples' opinions on the subject -- same rules as above or set your own constraints.

Hedley as much as I love you mate I think we should all just lay this topic to rest.

However I do agree with you that I would never in my wildest dreams put my hand up to be a selector for the Rachuig team and for that matter any state team whether it be junior or senior. They have a very very tough job and I admire them for having the guts to do it. But as all the selectors say at the end of the day "we can only take 7 boys/men and 7 girls/women", as much as they would love to take 10 more they cant.

I know what is on your resume should mean something when it comes to who to select as 6th and 7th members of a team. But unfortunately in a lot of instances this is not the case. But it is still taken into consideration what you have achieved.

Even though the selectors do have a tough job, I believe that they are good at what they do and that is why they are. They wouldnt select a bowler if they didnt think that they werent a good team bowler and that they wouldnt put in 110% effort at all times. We can whinge and whine as much as we like but the matter of the fact is that we have our opinions have absolutely no impact on who the selectors will select to represent our state.

Once again this is just my opinion and admire the selectors for putting up with the s!#@ that they get. Its not only the bowlers that cop it. The selectors also cop it and in some ways it may be more direct.

Sorry if you dont agree but it is just my opinion.

Kellie
icon_confused.gif

Hi guys,

A lot of views here I agree with a but there are a few I don't, as is expected. My question is though....when you pick your team, what form are they in???....and what people have the form on the type of lanes that are being used for the actual tournament. Probly just another silly comment but I thought I would ask the question anyway.

Weazal!

Back
Top Bottom