Who influenced you as a young bowler.

John_Velo

Hi All,

Having grown up with bowling and then taking a long break before starting again had got me thinking about all of the great bowlers I have had the pleasure of watching while growing up. So to paint the picture, I was born in 1966, I was two weeks old before my dad saw me for the first time as he was bowling in an invitational tournament in the U.S. I spent nearly every weekend in a centre somewhere on the east coast of Australia up until 1986. I started bowling at the age of about 8 and stopped at around 20.

During league last week I was asked if I remembered a few juniors around my age, that being just shy of 45. To be honest not really, not through ignorance, but due to the fact that it was not until my last two years of juniors that they really started to have any kind of singles tournaments for juniors and then there were only a couple of them. So for me I remember those that I bowled with each week at Warrawong bowl. Those then juniors still bowling include Shawn Cummings. From Sydney we bowled with the likes Jason Doust and Andrew Frawley. There were a lot of very talented juniors a few years ahead of me that hit the seniors like Shane Woods. All up some really top level bowlers.

There was nothing after juniors but Open Seniors. At 18 you were feed to the lion’s on the seniors seen. Very over whelming to face off against the likes of Steve Lovell, Brian Bridges and many many more names.

Which now leads me to the point of this thread, for those of us in our 30’s, 40’s and 50’s who did you want to bowl like?

What bowler had the biggest impact or influence on your games development?

Who did you look at an think WOW, that’s a sweat shot?

For me I use to love watching Gary Kee bowl. Text book perfect delivery. I loved the speed of Terry Wenban’s shot. On the U.S tour my favourite bowler back then was Marshall Holman.

In my mind I was a combination of all three. In reality, nothing like either of them.

John Velo

Biggest influence was Brian Bridges, he helped me out for years. Always wanted to bowl like Parker Bohn, sooooo smooth.
Good to see Brian is back bowling again after his triple bypass.

Like you John I am on the eve of turning 45 although a little bit closer than you. However unlike you, I only first walked into a bowling centre after already turning 19 so missed out on the benefits of Junior ranks.

My first major influences were Northcote stalwarts of the like of Tony Goodwin, Brian King, David Cooper and Alan George to name a few.

I then marvelled at Ian Bradford and Steve Lovell and many more along the way. Wanted to bowl like Lovell and also like Parker (as Paul posted).

Lucky enough to bowl with both Ian and Steve in ATBA events in late eighties and meet Parker Bohn on his tour to Australia a couple of years back. Like Paul said Parker is so smooth and to see him executing those trademark trick shots live and first time every one was awesome.

I started bowling late. I was about 23 years old when I joined my first league. I soon became hooked on our sport and went to watch several tournaments each year. The most popular was the Koolfoam Classic. That was an ocean of talent in a couple of days. It was like being a kid walking into a candy store!!! Although he is younger than myself (and I wont say by how much either), Carl Bottomley is the bowler I look up to the most. The way he goes about his game is phenominal and is also a great person off the lanes. Tony Kelly, Harold Fryer, Paul Morland were also up there and I will never forget having the opportunity of bowling against Alan Atkins... now that was something special for me!!!

Whilst not quite fitting the ages mentioned by John - I thought it would be good to mention my influences.

It would be fair to say my uncle Frank didn't have a style that you would say was "textbook" - but his success and desire for success (back in the day) drove me to want the success that he was able to achieve. Maybe one day I will be able to get an element of the success that he achieved.

There are three other worthy mentions. The one who doesn't need explaining was Bradford. Simply brilliant to watch.

The others - Terry Wenban. I still remember the 1992 Australian Open. I've had the luxury of having seen (and bowled) a number of 300 during my lifetime. None compared to the first - I may have only been 6 going on 7, but I still remember that game. It truely was the "perfect" game. Every shot smooth, every shot accurate, every shot flush. At the lunch break, a lady mentioned to Terry that a 6yo had just seen his first 300 - he then allowed me to talk to him during his lunch break. He became a hero in my eyes, and from then on I would practice bowling like Wenban in the hallway at home.

Last but not least Warren Stewart. I regularly would get my parents to take me to watch the "tour" (as I referred to it as a kid) bowl when there was an event in Melbourne. Warren was great to watch, and always came up during matchplay to speak to me about bowling (among other things), to the extent that I would need to be dragged away. I have recently joined a league that Warren bowls in (still great to talk to), and look forward to having my own Stewart vs Ryan battle with him.

Mine was always Earl Athony, I always wanted to emulate his style and his ability to win events when no other lefties were to be seen. In Australia, it was a few, Lovey, Fred Alsop and Cara.... all champions in their own right and well cemented in the Australian history books which maybe one day I'll do too.

Well I turn 47 next year so i am right in your age bracket John. Grew up with Carl, I see him at family get functions, Grant is right, he is a great person on & off the lanes.

My biggest influences, of the pro's Marshall Holman and now Pete Weber & Norm Duke. Here at home I was lucky to be able to bowl against & with some of the best - Tom Kury & Barb Richmond come to mind. My biggest influences I guess were Tony Kelly & Terry Wenban both so smooth and such great competitors.

I started to Bowl when I was 11 and I'm now 52 OMG !!!!
We had junior gaurdians back then, Hurstville, and I had
Sam Theokolis who represented Australia he was very very accurate
and he made everyone concentrate on spares
We used to go watch "The Big Boys" bowl on Saturday afternoons and
or Sundays at LEichhardt or St Leonards and Rushcutter

For me the best there was back the was Chris Batson, he did stuff
with a ball no else could do back then, still does one and off !!! LOL
Mackie was tough as nails to beat
Joe Velo the ever professional and the ultimate in accuarcy
Kevin Quinn also a simple easy shot that almost never missed
Brian Bridges also great to watch, very competitive
I bowled Juniors with Garry Kee and Fred Allsopp who were both fantastic

You know what there were heaps of them back then !!!!!! It was a long , long
line up to get into a NSW team in those days

Internationally Johnny Petruglia cause I'm a lefty or Earl Anthony OMG
and Marshall Holman because his shot was outrageous for those days

Cheers
Geoff
Geez I feel old now

I would have to say that Steve Lovell and Fred Allsopp were 2 of the local bowlers that influenced me as a junior. Lovey for his presence on the lane and Fred for being so smooth through the shot which reminds me a lot of Parker Bohn III who along with "The Buzzsaw" John Gant and Mike Aulby were my PBA influences.

I always loved watching michael schmidt on youtube, but my greatest influence would have been my coach Ashley Clark, I wouldn't be a quarter the bowler I am today without his guidance and friendship.

i guess id be classed as a young bowler , but i really enjoy watching fred alsopp and on t.v i like to watch norm duke

I always loved watching michael schmidt on youtube, but my greatest influence would have been my coach Ashley Clark, I wouldn't be a quarter the bowler I am today without his guidance and friendship.

Same for me probably would have never really taken bowling seriously if it was not for him

I started bowling when I was 7, and am in my last month before I turn the dreaded 40. As a junior my two absolute favourites were Marshall Holman and Walter Ray Williams Jr, Marshall because of his style and Walter because of his desire to do whatever it took to win (in a bowling sense i.e. throwing a frozen rope off the edge, going deep inside or lofting the left capping).

In Australia Carl Bottomley was always someone I aspired to be like. I started bowling against him at the ripe old age of 15 in my first Presidents Shield and it only took me 23 years to finally beat him in a head to head match (I am on a roll now as I have now beaten him a total of 3 times :D :D)

I remember the first time I bowled the Redcliffe Open in 2003 and after 6 games of qualifying I was going along pretty well and Carl was about -100. I was thinking he was gone, but in true Carl fashion he fought back hard and finished qualifying about +100 and then the next day in the stepladder final he gave me an absolute bowling lesson.

He was an absolute champion as a junior, he became even better in adults and I have no doubt that he will also dominate the senior ranks. Like Walter Ray, he always finds a way to win (you can't teach that, you either have it or you don't). Winners make it happen, losers let it happen.

Hi All,

WOW, what a lot of response to my question! What an even more impressive list of names. The one thing that really stands out is just how much YouTube watching we all must do.

The other thing that stands out is the generation gap from when I stopped bowling until now 24 years later. I missed complete careers of some amazing bowlers. YouTube once again comes to the investigation rescue for the PBA guys.

Of the current guys ( PBA Youtubing ), and some not so current, I love to watch footage Johnny Petraglia on the senior tour, what an amazing shot he still has, through to Norm Duke, watch some of his early 90’s footage through to now, an everlasting shot.

Of course I have to also throw PDW in there, he was around when I a junior, liked him then, a little cranky for me now but an amazing shot and roll on the ball. Lastly for me you have to throw Walter Ray in there, just going about his business year after year. The classic down and in shot never dies.

For power, Belmo and Robert Smith.

For one of the first thumbless bowlers to win a PBA title or four, check out Mike Miller for smooth.

Well that is my additional 20 cents worth.

Thanks again.

John Velo

Would have to be Steve Mackie and Chris Batson when I first started. Helped me heaps. Plus my great sponsers for all my carer Steve Henley and Ron Bickerstaff from Brunswick, couldn't do without thosre guys.
Cheers Lovey

Would have to be Steve Mackie and Chris Batson when I first started. Helped me heaps. Plus my great sponsers for all my carer Steve Henley and Ron Bickerstaff from Brunswick, couldn't do without thosre guys.
Cheers Lovey

Lovey i'm struggling to picture you as a young bloke.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom