“Which bowler do you least like to watch?”

John_Velo

G’Day All,

Another ten minutes spare, so here I go with a question?

I have raised the question of what bowler most influenced you.

Now for the next question, “Which bowler do you least like to watch?”

Let me expand on that, I am not talking about the bowler that you least like, or a bowler you dislike due to their attitude. But the bowler that you watch bowl and have to turn off the video clip because of the way they bowl.

For me it is Ryan Shafer. I have the greatest respect for him as a bowler, he has earned more than a million dollars, 4 PBA titles, 15 odd regional Titles and 47 odd 300’s. I would love to have one title and one 300. So my respect for his record and longevity as a bowler is high.

What I don’t like is watching his final step of his approach. Short back swing with an abrupt straightening of the body and change of head height at the point of delivery. It reminds me of everything I would be in trouble for doing as a Junior. I just simply can’t watch him bowl.

Does any bowler make you turn the screen off due to the way they bowl?

Thanks for reading.

Ryan Schafer and Richie Allen? 2 very tough competitors and two of my favourite guest commentators on PBA Xtraframe. Very funny guys who speak their mind. I used to hate watching Earl Anthony as a kid. These days I wonder what there was to not like.

Does anyone remember Scot Devers? Not pretty to watch. Very effective though. Another guy springs to mind, but his name eludes me. Ron something (Williams..?). Kept winning a King of the Hill round. His backswing was about 2ft... Sideways.

All of these guys show that the textbook doesn't bowl, but they do. And you know what, they did it well enough to make a PBA telecast. Many of them repeatedly.

So what does aesthetics count for? People still buy Hummers... The "odd men out" seem to come and go though, so the more "classic" style still gets points for longevity and biomechanical efficiency.

Patrick Allen and and Mike Scroggins. Especially Scroggins. I don't have anything against the lefties though, my favorite bowling action to watch is Parker Bohn III, the guy is mechanically amazing.

Can I say Jim Furyk???

In all seriousness though, I am still not a massive fan of the whole Two Handed Style.. I guess I am a little bit of a traditionalist, I know it is very popular but I just cant see the bowlers who use it to be able to have a very long life span in the game. It looks to create a high amount of pressure on the lower back and hips. I may not be the best to talk about it with my high power offense that I use as I dont think my life span at the current shot I throw to be very long life but I just dont find the approach very pretty to look at. End product of the ball hitting the pins is usually pretty awesome to watch though, esp Belmo and Osku.

Who I like to watch is another story, I love watching TJ and Chris Barnes, while in Aus its not as many but I do like watching Bianca bowl and can sit and watch her all day (and thats not just because I am a guy and she a girl) as she is so smooth and has a tremendous amount of power on her shot for a woman. I would rather watch female bowling than male bowling for the style and the males for the emotion and hitting power.

Another guy springs to mind, but his name eludes me. Ron something (Williams..?). Kept winning a King of the Hill round. His backswing was about 2ft... Sideways.
Yup Ron Williams it is! Though I found myself strangely intrigued and had to watch him, just because of the sideways pushaway.

i must say tom smallwood has the most unusual style i have seen in a while but closely followed by ryan schafer

Hi Guys,

OK, just watched two frames of Ron Williams and turned it off. At least his head height remains steady at the foul line!

I actually like to watch unusual styles, more to see what they do right that enables them to repeat shots. Ron Williams and Joe Hutchinson are probably the two most unusual as far as PBA bowlers go.

John, this is not sucking up in any way but I've got to say that the bowler I enjoyed watching most, over the years, was your dad Joe. The reason for this was apart from his finishing on 'the wrong foot' he had the ability to entertain the spectators in his own special way. It used to amaze me how he could play a dozen or more games and still look as fresh as when he started .. not a hair out of place.

Of the overseas players I cant go past Earl Anthony .. not so much for his entertainment value but for the fact that the pins just seemed to want to fall for him.

As for the current players Norm Duke always looks a class above the rest.

Hey Wal,

You know as a junior dad was always the bowler I least like to watch because I was always on the wrong end of a right flogging. In all the games I played with dad I was lucky to win once. I personally I think it let me have one to keep my spirits up.

His style was definitely odd, yet strangely smooth and natural. I am trying hard to get him to bowl doubles at the nationals with me, but I need to do a bit more twisting of the arm.

Of the current bowlers, for mine, it is Patrick Allen. I don't know specifically why, and no, it is not because he is left-handed, but i just don't like his action or anything else about him for that matter. Just irritates me watching him bowl.

Ron Williams is also my alltime vote for least like.

What a shocker lol :)

Hey Wal,

You know as a junior dad was always the bowler I least like to watch because I was always on the wrong end of a right flogging. In all the games I played with dad I was lucky to win once. I personally I think it let me have one to keep my spirits up.

His style was definitely odd, yet strangely smooth and natural. I am trying hard to get him to bowl doubles at the nationals with me, but I need to do a bit more twisting of the arm.
John, mahe sure you only twist the left arm. He'll need the other one !! Good luck anyway.

Oh God why hasnt anyone said Pete weber jesus that guy is the biggest well what seems from tv a WAN*** i fast forward the approach and just watch the ball then fast forward again till the next player steps up,,they need those blurred spots like you see on those "cops" shows
but to be fair he has and his father has done so much for the sport its uncanny

I hate watching Steve Jaros. Not sure why. I just do. Also, Wayne Garber is a bit of an effort to watch, but after learning he broke (I think) both of his knee caps at a younger age, I had a bit more appreciation for the fact he is still out there.

Cow

Back
Top Bottom