Which Bowler did you look up to when you started bowling?

Please tell us the story...

Besides being a great guy who always had time for me, Earl was arguably the greatest bowler in history as well as being one of the fiercest competitors I've even known.

Wayne

This was back in the times where over here we didn't have urethane balls or very few did. He was bowling at Sunshine and the crowd was fifteen deep. Me the short*** that I am could just see him wielding his craft on the lanes. With only a couple of warm up balls and then into an actual game reeled off a 257 I think with little effort. Pure class personified. Everyone was just in awe.

That is one experience I will never forget. Just to have seen him bowl live once left me in envy of people like yourself who actually got to share the PBA experience with him. Sorry but can't remember much else of what else transpired for the day.

Well, going on the title of the thread, I mentioned the guys I was inspired by as a kid. Belmo opened up a nice twist by mentioning present day idols.

Now I'm older (and hopefully wiser), I look back on Earl and marvel at just how much he could strike with plastic or rubber, often with poor-looking reaction. His speed control was immaculate and his accuracy legendary.

Peter Somoff from Storm told me that when he grew up in Seattle, the good players practiced hitting dimes (5 cent piece sized) thrown down the lanes. If they were betting and Earl played, he had to nominate which side of the dime he would hit. Think about that for a minute. He could hit a 10mm target at 40-odd ft. (12m) That's no mean feat. It's like sparing the 2-10. Over and over again.

In present day players, Chris Barnes, PDW and WRW Jr. Barnes and Pete Weber for their beautiful swings, ultra clean releases and gutsy intensity. WRW Jr for his tenacity.

While I'm by no means the world's biggest Belmo fan, I thoroughly respect, even admire the versatility he has already achieved and that he has done it his way. Don't get me wrong, I learn stuff every time I watch Jason bowl and I've even applied a couple of tiny particles from his game to my training. I just find that the two handed thing, while interesting as a driller, just doesn't happen to be my bag as a bowler. That said, everybody told me I couldn't compete with my "stupid big hook ball" when I was a kid. I had to do it my way too. It's hard to swim against the tide, but it's very rewarding. More so for him than me, but that's cool.

for me,

in Australia, is: Cara Honeychurch, Andrew Frawley, Fred Allslop, Sam Romeo, Steve Lovell,
oversea,is, Pete d Weber, WRW JR, Tim Mack and Parker Born 3
because when they bowl they show confidence, elegance, passion, intensity and there persona on and off the lane

Andrew Frawley.

Not enough time to list all the reasons why. I believe he's one of the best ambassadors for this sport we will ever have.

Cow

As someone who was around in the early days of bowling in Australia the two players that still dominate my memories are Joe Velo and Steve Mackie.

For those that dont know, Joe finished on the wrong foot and had us convinced that the rest of us were doing it wrong. His balance and class was obvious and it should be remembered it was Joe who bowled the very first 'official' perfect game in our history.

As for Steve he was and still is the most dedicated bowler I've ever met. He tried his best to promote our sport like no other. He now owns his own Bowling Centre in the US and still averages around 220.

At one time Steve actually ran a school to show the yanks how to manage a Bowling Centre!

As for the girls, Cara is so far in front it's no contest.

I'm a late contributor to this thread however I'd like to add my 2 cents despite my lack of time in the game.

Back in 2000, I was asked to fill in as a league bowler in a Sunday social league at the old Blacktown AMF Centre. I'll never forget one night watching a lady who was practicing and also worked at the centre. She just bowled strike after strike, every shot looked exactly the same. I'd never seen such consistency, nor so many consecutive strikes. I wished I could one day bowl with that sort of ability.

Approx 6 years later I suddenly decided to take up bowling more seriously and bowl league at the new Blacktown AMF. Finally I discovered after all that time the lady who I admired so much as a bowler was named Annette O'Neill.

Is she on this forum? I'm sure many people know her in Sydney.

In Australia; Sue Cassell, AMP, Andrew Frawley and Jason Belmonte.
Overseas; Liz Johnson, Norm Duke, Tim Mack and Shalin Zulkifli.

Many reasons for each individual listed. In fact, still look up to and admire these guys plus many more.

In Australia : Fred Alsopp , AMP, Jason Belmonte and George Frillingos
Overseas: Norm Duke , Chris Barnes , Major Mika and Walter ray williams jnr

Les Jordaine (Woodville Bowl Pro Shop) Kevin Harding & Jeanette Baker. A little later on it was Earl Anthony.

I`m not as classy as the others on this thread, but I always admired Ken Sheehan. His easy going style, never seemed to be doing much, but was always there. That`s why he was my coach for a lot of years right up
until he retired. Ken would still be bowling now, except he has some fractures in his spine and can`t pick up a bowling ball. Man, what a bowler.
Animal

Nice Laurie. Ken was a great bowler.
I have a couple that I admire. Old school Aussies - Terry Wenban, Tony Kelly & Harold Fryer. All guys from the same era and great personalities on/off the lanes not to mention great bowlers.
My all time greats are Carl Bottomley and Cara Honeychurch. I love watching video footage of these two. Just awesome!!!

Amazing Yanks for me would be Walter Ray, Parker Bohn and Chris Barnes.

Grant

As a non-bowler, but a parent of two I would have to say Aldo, Marisa and Jason Belmonte are bowlers we looked up to (and still do). We entered Orange Bowl as an inside escape when we moved to Orange - much better than the sidelines of a hockey field in winter. The Belmonte family et al, are a shining light to all - from the rising stars to the 'bowler of the week'; they offer encouragement and genuine friendship. Jason took time out to visit my older daughter when she was rolling off for Pres Shield to encourage her - she bowled her PB that day. Aldo and Marisa have always supported and encouraged both of my daughters in their endeavours. They have returned so much to the bowling community and expect no return except the advancement of bowling and the enjoyment of the participants. My younger daughter has made the Asian Schools Team to represent Australia in July - I honestly think Aldo took as much enjoyment over her selection as he does in Jason's achievements (maybe a little less).

So, as anyone who bowls at Orange knows, the Belmonte family are fantastic role models for bowling and as a great example of good sportmanship, paying-it-forward mentality, and family (home as well as bowling).

Back
Top Bottom