What makes an ideal tournament for you?

Jase

Admin
Staff member
What makes an ideal tournament for you?

I think this could be interesting as everyone has a different idea of an ideal Tournament out there for them…
What sort of prize fund are you looking for?
E.g.- first 5 places and also a ratio of pay out, or if you make the cut what should the last place in the cut make?
Are the multiple re-entry tournaments inviting? If so how many games qualifying and what sort of entry fee would you pay..
Are the three people Match Play formats interesting?
Do you prefer as a non competitor/finalist to watch the best of 5 game formats?
If you average 190 and under, would you like say 9 pins start per game?
Would you be interested in some sort of small bowling Expo and bowling products on display over that weekend from our suppliers?

Just interested in some of your thoughts on this…

Depends mate if its a National type or State based tourny.

If for arguements sake a Brissie tournament over 2 days.

Entry: $100 ideally but I think people would pay up to $150 if the prizefund was right.

Format: Old school seems to be the way to go, 10-12 games qualifying, cut to top 16 in matchplay.

Finals: Top 16 play 15 games of matchplay with 20 or 30 for a win.

Stepladder: (optional) Good for crowds but I'm not really a fan (I don't think Qualla is either)

Prizemoney: I think Jeff Brigg had the right idea, first doesnt have to be huge, $1000 is enough, but you need to pay down maybe 1:3 or 1:4 and the people who make the cut at least double there money.

For example:

1st. $1000
2nd $800
3rd $700
4th $600
5th $500
6th $400
7th $360
16th $200 (or double entry)

It's a bit old school but I've come to realise thats what the majority of the bowlers want.

Just my thoughts

Sorry my fault should have clarified.

I am thinking more on a National Level so i am keen to know what would make you travel to it...

Also one other question... Ranked events!

Are ranking points really that important to the traveler?
Do you as a bowler travel because they have double rankings as apposed to a normaly ranked event?
Or if the money was right, would not being a ranked event stop you from traveling?

if you are talking about say brunswich cup and u live in brisbane then it is more about cost i would say, i live in sydney but only started brunswick one last yr, unless you can make the every time interstate travel would more be cost to bowler

National Tourny - I think what George has suggested has merrit

A reasonable entry fee - 100 to 150 seems to be the most reasonable.
Format - anywhere from 10 - 16 games qualifying, 10 games is better cause
it means you can bowl 2 - 3 squads in a day, 16 games I would split it over 2 days and hold 8 games each day.

Finals - cut to the top 15 say & play the 3 man head to head format with say 20 for a win & 10 for a tie (this still gives those who shoot big scores & loose a chance to move up).

Stepladder - if you lead the tournament for days & get beaten in a one or two game stepladder I dont think its necessarily fair, only because you really have bowled the best over the whole time of the tournament.

Prizefund - I agree 100% with George if you make the cut, you get double your money back, if you say get 100 entries and you pay 1:4 and you cust to the top 15, then maybe 20th should get money back (just a suggestion).

I'm not in favour of anyone getting start - however, if it encourages more entries then why not. In the end, if you dont like people getting start and its part of the tournament format...then dont bowl.

Bowl Expo is a good idea - it gives all of the manufacturers who attend an ooprtunity to show off their wares & enables "joe bowler" to watch the guys that are using the gear as well......

One other thing - I think that a BBQ/Poker Gane before the tourny etc is a good idea, Sam in NTH Qld does this for his tournys and its always well received.

The biggest problem I see in travelling interstate for Tournys is the cost of accommodation. I mean by the time you pay to get there, accommodation then toury fees - if you dont cash $1000.00 you are out of pocket. Most tournaments I travel I incorparate a Holiday as well, just cant afford to be out of pocket all the time.

You dont want to bowl for 2 days pay all this money & not have a chance even to get it back. Whats the point.

The actual cost of the touraments are not the problem - its the other costs invovled. How you keep them down well I suppose thats another question ?

Perhaps if there was I list of bowlers who are willing to open their doors. Airfares - well you cant change them, then you have to get around when you are there.. If you drive it costs just a much a flying - unless there are a few people traveling together.

actual format of touraments does not bother me - I love to bowl what ever the format.

Dave K:cool: :cool:

Stepladder - if you lead the tournament for days & get beaten in a one or two game stepladder I dont think its necessarily fair, only because you really have bowled the best over the whole time of the tournament.
A tourniment should consist of 12 games Qualifying, Matchplay then a stepladder final to be televised on fox sports.

There should be a prizefund for qualifying results eg 1st qualifier $1000, 20th qualifier $200, then a prizefund for matchplay added on to what you earned in qualifying, then a final payout for stepladder. So a prizefund for each stage of a tourniment.

I hope that made sence

Adam H

I like the idea of a stepladder final - makes things more interesting, although a single elimination 'top 8' might also be the way to go for a national tourny?

for a local event, matchplay finals should be enough IMO.

Entry Fees: $200 for a national tournament, 100-150 for a local.
Prizes: 1st - At least $2000 for a national, $1000 for a local. Pay down to the cut so that they all make something out of it.

Interesting thought on the handicapping system Jase, but keep the matchplay down to two per contest.

You have 80 entries, 10 games qualifying, cut top 16, matchplay
Lineage $5200, Payout ($1000 down to $200) aprox $6800, tournie costs printing, adv, trophies, $800, accreditation $200 = $12700.....now what was the entry fee? No seoarate division for women?
Yes you want it good for the bowlers, but is this good for the sport. I have run tournies that require lots of sponsorship to run, good payouts, and still we can't encourage enough bowlers.
Leanne.

There are three main things (in no particular order) that i believe alot of people look at when considering bowling in a tournament:

Money - how much will it cost me and how much can i make.. Most bowlers are happy to pay around the $150 mark for entry and earn double that for making the cut seems to be reasonable..

Format - do i have a chance of doing well?? i think the elimination formats we have seen in NSW Open and South Pacific give more people the belief they have a chance of beating everyone and therefore making some money.. Im not sure if entries were up or down at these events but it seemed to be the vibe i got from quite a few players during these events..

Centre and conditions - alot of people dont want to pay the money to go and bowl in a centre where they dont believe they have any sort of chance because of the conditions they have previously encountered... It seems to be that the centres that lay what seems to play as a fair shot (and no i dont mean a ditch) have more bowlers coming back year after year... This may not be so important to the top bowlers in our sport but its the locals and guys that only play a few events a year where this becomes more important.. If they only play once or twice they want to feel like they are going to have a chance...

Just my thoughts but thats the first three things i ask when someone says do you want to bowl in a tournament...

Just for a change, I'm going to agree with George. :) I think he's on the money. I like stepladders personally, though. They give the crowd something to stick around for and often provide an upset for the guy who ran off with it and didn't produce the goods at the end. Then again, I have seen guys just eat up the stepladder, but not often.

For local events, a straight 10 game past the post, like the Sport Series is as good as any. But for any event, keep the entry fee down. I only gamble what I can afford to lose and still don't know if I can afford to bowl my local event this year (Brunswick Aust Cup).

Cheers,
Jason

Sorry my fault should have clarified.
I am thinking more on a National Level so i am keen to know what would make you travel to it...
Also one other question... Ranked events!
Are ranking points really that important to the traveler?
Do you as a bowler travel because they have double rankings as apposed to a normaly ranked event?
Or if the money was right, would not being a ranked event stop you from traveling?
Ive only bowled the one ranked event being this years K and K, as someone whos looking to bowl more next year i have to say from what i have seen the tournaments that have re entries, despardo squads and the plate finals like the Brunswick coming up are the ones ill look at bowling as there seems to be more chance of making some money.

Ive only bowled the one ranked event being this years K and K, as someone whos looking to bowl more next year i have to say from what i have seen the tournaments that have re entries, despardo squads and the plate finals like the Brunswick coming up are the ones ill look at bowling as there seems to be more chance of making some money.

I agree most Interstate Tournaments are now $300 to enter for 12 games . Id rather spend $150 for say 6 games on the first attempt then say $50 for re- entries. That way i can have 4 attempts for the same price.

I like the format up in the tournament recently up in coffs harbour. 6 games in qualifying + the opportunity for a re-entry. Then the elimination games.
Pity i couldn't make it i would have had fun. Damn my friends for having the Christening on this day.

I agree most Interstate Tournaments are now $300 to enter for 12 games . Id rather spend $150 for say 6 games on the first attempt then say $50 for re- entries. That way i can have 4 attempts for the same price.

Totally agree!

The way I see it, in a country this big, mulitiple re-entry is the only way to go for national tournaments. That way, a cross-continent (sometimes) trip isn't wasted in one bad day or one bad squad.

That comes with it's own challenge though - how can you do multiple re-entry over 2 days? It would be a tight schedule, and people working fulltime generally can't take a day off to get there on the Friday, at least I know I can't anyway. But still, I personally think it is the only viable way to go.

Back
Top Bottom