What's your Goal?

Sean M

After reading the "Do you look at score sheets" thread, I am interested in hearing if you set yourself some sort of goal going into a tournament? If so do you set out to either....

1/ Win the Event
2/ Make the Cut
3/ Make the Cash
4/ Bowl a certain Average
5/ Beat a certain Bowler
6/ Finish in a certain part of the field (top half / top 20 etc)

I'm asking this going into my first tournament after a major injury knowing I'm not going to be at a level that I once was (not that it was anything special anyway), but being happy with reaching whatever goal I might set myself before I bowl the tournament.

In order to be a winner, you have to think like a winner. Settin yourself a goal of cashing or making the cut usually means you've already decided in your mind that you're not good enough to win.
STRIVE FOR GREATNESS!

I bowled in Emerson Shield last year and my goal was to win my point per game. I bowled in 4 games and won 2 points (i think). But the last game was against local rival Latrobe and I missed the first game which we won then the last game I was put and won my point convincingly (happened to roll a 200 flush)... So I guess for me its enjoying my time on the lanes and 2ndly beating my opponent. Should I get to a final then great!

OK what I'm trying to say is enjoy your time firstly. If you get angry or down on yourself for bowling the wrong line then you'll bugger up your thought process for the following games.

And I ain't any expert - Dr Chris is your man!! aka STERIODS

1 through to 6 actually.

On the weekend I entered a tournament that I so did not think I had a chance of winning. I entered it hoping to bowl around a 200 average. I started off quite slowly, averaging 180 for the first 4 games. Then something just clicked. I realised that I had nothing to lose, and the strikes just kept on coming.

The next 6 games I averaged 235. No, I didn't win, but I was just so proud that I finally did bowl my league average at a different centre!

Winning wasn't even on the cards at the start of the day, but I really believe that I could have taken the title if I started a bit stronger.

Long winded post I know, but I was focusing on step 4, and I finally achieved it. :)

Back
Top Bottom