What are your thoughts regarding Nationals

You guys just hit the nail. This is what i have been saying to our league committee. THE MEMBERS HAVE THE RIGHTS TO VOTE AS WHO GETS ELECTED AS A PRESIDENT, not team captains and committee members.
Cheers,
Alex

i think the last handful of posts really do ram home the problems with our sport. i can recall way back into the 70's when my father use to drag us along to the GSTBA meetings in a scout hall down by the Parramatta river around what is now Homebush Bay. back then GSTBA was the "powerhouse" of Tenpin and ATBC was a fledgling organisation. all of a sudden ATBC gained momentum and grew at a rapid rate becoming the national body for our sport. but GSTBA still sat in the background and just poked along quitely with people willing to pay membership to both organisations.

now i know i'm delving back a long way but after having 10 years off through the 1990's to have a family and returning to find ATBC had died a painful death, GSTBA was still running, this new TBA organisation, a group for seniors called ATBSO and more recently the Holt organisation.

my point is 30 years ago we had different organisations in our sport basically working towards the same goal for thier own interested members and today we have even more organisation, which i think work towards the same goal but for their respective interest groups only as well.

i guess you could say we are still suffering from "in fighting" which whilst people are suggesting we need to offer prizemoney for all grades to attract bowlers to the nationals we realistically need sponsors for this as TBA certainly doesn't have the resources for this. any prospective sponsor will do their homework before they spend their money and this homework will reveal a sport divided, a sport that has several factions all working for their own agendas and quite frankly their cheque book will stay in their pockets. i know mine would. why would anyone want to sponsor Tenpin on a National level when the Senior bowlers are off in Perth doing their thing, the Restricted bowlers are in Perth doing their thing and our open bowlers are in Melbourne doing their thing. our current environment is just not conducive to attracting large scale sponsorship.

i truly believe that all of these groups need to sit down with TBA and "work out" their difference if only for the good of the sport and its future direction and showing a united front where we as a sport are an attractive proposition for sponsorship among other things. i also believe that the TBA needs to lose the all mighty attitude it has and represent all. i was at the nationals for what was to be the De Veer week and Alex Popov was sighted once in that week and during that time he and 3 others held a little meeting at the back of the cafe for most of the time. whilst he doesn't need to personally know each and every bowler in this country he as CEO should have been there the entire time meeting and greeting and pressing the flesh and talking to those bowlers who were in attendance.

cheers,
Shoey

Shoey,

At the recent ATBSO AGM it was proposed that ATBSO meet with TBA in order to resolve the differences and goals of both organisations.

I happened to have a meeting recently with a high ranking TBA Director on an unrelated matter and in an off topic discussion indicated this willingness on behalf of ATBSO and Holt Challenge (to a lesser degree) were keen to meet with TBA.

As yet we have heard nothing further.

ATBSO and Holt Challenge have solid business plans in place for the next 2 years and are well organised in their preparation of their own nationals over this period.

The present Board don't seem to realise that by prolonging their stay in office the fragmentation will continue.

The ATBSO, the Holt Carnival Committees and all the other differing parties and regional organisations will simply shrug and say nothings changed so why should we bother?

And why should they? Under the present system only a few people get to vote at the AGM. And due to the misrepresentative structure, most of the board remain in office.

The only solution to getting the fragmented groups together is for the entire Board to stand down and a special formation meeting to be called.

Peter,

this is pleasing news.

come on TBA get your head out of the clouds and accept this offer and at least talk.

TBA board members are suppose to be in their positions for the good of the sport here's your chance to do something good. if you can't then get out.

Shoey

Our 4' by 2' glossy poster advertising the Nationals never arrived and the entry forms must have been lost in the mail.

Rob

The only solution at this stage is for the current Board and CEO to resign and allow a new board to take over. This new board should have as NO 1 priority "bring all factions of the industry under 1 umbrella". then and only then can we move forward as an industry. The owners & proprietors need to stand by the NEW board as well as all the bowlers thru-out Australia.

However this CURRENT board needs to GO.:surrender:

Joe T:cool:

Scoring pace was too high, it turns into a lottery especially with that format. The best bowler doesn't always win. Mac bowled great and congrats on him winning the event back to back.

Nationals are on an out of control train, better get off now! I have :D

There is an element of luck with the current format, but, do we want to go to a marathon format?

How many games are needed?

I have always thought that holding a jnr/adult nationals would be a great idea.
The idea of been able to take my child/ren to a nationals and while im there compete myself would help in so many ways.
I mean you can make it family time. Expenses of just 1 trips rather than multiple, plus i would in turn have a little personal cheer squad, as would the rest of of my family.
THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!
I have always thought that holding a jnr/adult nationals would be a great idea.
The idea of been able to take my child/ren to a nationals and while im there compete myself would help in so many ways.
I mean you can make it family time. Expenses of just 1 trips rather than multiple, plus i would in turn have a little personal cheer squad, as would the rest of of my family.

THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!

Where do you hold an event (and even with the small numbers we have now) like this in OZ. You would need a massive centre, 48 lanes plus.
I have always thought that the more people you get to one place the better for bowling.
Plus the buzz from the junior bowlers being able to watch the countries best adults would create much talk amongst the younger bowlers, plus maybe ven keep them in the game a little longer.

Having everyone in one place at one time would be great so you can work out great hotel rates, knowing that a huge amount of people are coming. Sponsorship may be easier and above all having a jam packed bowling centre is amazing for atmosphere.

I have bowled all over the world, the best events i have been in, is when the bowling centre is packed......IT FEELS LIKE A TOURNAMENT!

The lane pattern can be what ever, people b!tch and moan when the lanes are easy or hard, i have bowled on enough patterns to know that the only bowler happy is the guy who wins.
The formatt......well thats something to think about. The only idea i have is perhaps run the masters like a tournament.

This sounds crazy i know, but hear me out.

Instead of playing a singles to get into the masters ( i mean mostly it all depends what pair you get anway) pay a entry fee (but an all events must be played in full before one can enter) and play a 2 day event that runs like this.

Day 1:
6 games
break re-oil
6 games
break re-oil
6 games

Top what ever makes the cut

Day 2:
6 games
break
cut to a smaller number
6 games
cut to a smaller number
6 games

THERE IS YOUR WINNER

Who ever has the most pins bowled over a long period of time over 2 days will be named AUSTRALIA's masters champ.

To me that would be a kick ar$e format for this event.....long, enduring, mentally tough, plus enough games/breaks for bowlers to make changes to their game to 'make a come back'

Well thats just an idea....... would be kind of sweet if the logistics could enable it to become true

WELL????

Belmo

Belmo,

this is why we are at Orange so much, your tournaments are open to adult and Juniors and we love the fact your January Country Championships we can actually compete in events with our kids.

cheers,
Shoey

It is apparent to me that these splinter groups are not willing to talk to TBA and it is possible that TBA wishes no longer to talk to them. This is the area that needs to be addressed.

Brenton, I can say you have got this right out of context. I am a great supporter of bowling in any manner and grade, because for me it is about bowling. The comment that these splinter groups are not willing to talk to TBA is incorrect. I am involved with The Holt Challenge and proud to be. We as a group sent a petition to TBA back in January 2007, as yet we are still waiting for them to acknowledge the letter, so the lack of respect that has been shown is to us. Please advise me how do you show them respect when none is shown to us. I was at Altona for the week of Nationals and Rauchuig; at no time did any of the board acknowledge me. Any one of them could have asked me anything but nothing happened, again you tell me how you get over this. We, as bowlers for the Holt Challenge, must hold a TBA Sanction card to bowl in our carnival, so tell me are we not supporting the NSO?

These are just my thoughts as the average bowler
Jeanette Kent

It is apparent to me that these splinter groups are not willing to talk to TBA and it is possible that TBA wishes no longer to talk to them. This is the area that needs to be addressed.
Brenton, I can say you have got this right out of context. I am a great supporter of bowling in any manner and grade, because for me it is about bowling. The comment that these splinter groups are not willing to talk to TBA is incorrect. I am involved with The Holt Challenge and proud to be. We as a group sent a petition to TBA back in January 2007, as yet we are still waiting for them to acknowledge the letter, so the lack of respect that has been shown is to us. Please advise me how do you show them respect when none is shown to us. I was at Altona for the week of Nationals and Rauchuig; at no time did any of the board acknowledge me. Any one of them could have asked me anything but nothing happened, again you tell me how you get over this. We, as bowlers for the Holt Challenge, must hold a TBA Sanction card to bowl in our carnival, so tell me are we not supporting the NSO?
These are just my thoughts as the average bowler
Jeanette Kent

JAYK, if that is the case, then I apologise, however, I have always had a problem with high handicap bowlers calling themselves state team representatives. I always felt that title should be a difficult and exclusive term for those with the ability, persistence and determination to achieve that goal. I know that excludes the majority of bowlers, but in what other sport can the average Jo or Joe, achieve state representation without achieving elite status? And please don't tell me that it doesn't happen, because I have seen and heard of many cases of high handicap players claiming state rep status.

The main problem with the (then) DeVeer tournament was that it promoted "average management". Where was the incentive to improve when mediocrity was enough to achieve a state shirt? The fact that the Holt committee decided that it would go and hold its own event because it did not agree with the TBA's decision to take away its state representation status is indication to me that the Holt bowlers are worried about losing a status that most Rachuig bowlers do not believe they ar entitled to.

Brenton I wholeheartedly agree with your comments about State Representative bowlers.
More recently however with the lack of bowlers willing to nominate for their State Team we are starting to see lower average bowlers make Rachuig Teams by default.

So in effect as it stands at present the State Team bowlers can't really claim to be the true elite.
What is needed is a total change to the Rachuig Team composition, with the introduction of a minimum average requirement.

If the format of Rachuig is changed to mirror that of the Seniors ie 4 person teams, it should be possible to get enough higher average bowlers to nominate and thus restore the status quo.

Brenton,
As you know I have bowled WDV for Vic a couple of times. I am proud to wear my state shirt because I was part of a Victorian team. At no stage have I mislead anybody to think that I was part of an open team. I am proud to be a Victorian (even though I grew up in Innisfail QLD) and proud to show the world by wearing my shirt. Any media interviews I have done, I have also stated the fact that it was a handicap event that I was bowling in. WDV has taught me a lot about bowling. I will never be able to reach an average to compete in Rachuig as I have had some muscles cut and damaged in my right arm whilst having surgery for breast cancer. I accept that fact but it does not mean that I won't give up trying to improve.
I know there are some WDV bowlers who may not act in the same manner that I do but it is a very small minority. Just like a small minority of bowlers who have bowled Rachuig have "gotten carried away" with the status but that doesn't mean that I do not respect the rest of the open bowlers.
I have been associated with other sports and I think bowling is the best of them all. It has something to offer all ages and capabilities. If bowlers are crying out for events that they enjoy then why not give it to them. I am certain that proprietors would agree with this.
A great example is Joe Tomasinski's daughter. It's hard to believe that not all the Tomasinski's are bowling and have high averages!! She has taken up bowling recently and was part of the Holt team last year. Her average is around 130 (correct me if I am wrong). After coming back from Perth, she is so excited and has decided to get into bowling more. So now we have a low average bowler who is more dedicated to the sport because of the Holt Challenge. Is this not a good thing?
Liz
PS Just rereading my post in case I have "Foot-in-mouth" disease today and probably the one thing that I didn't stress was the fact that I considered myself to be part of A Victorian team.

Brenton I wholeheartedly agree with your comments about State Representative bowlers.
More recently however with the lack of bowlers willing to nominate for their State Team we are starting to see lower average bowlers make Rachuig Teams by default.
So in effect as it stands at present the State Team bowlers can't really claim to be the true elite.
What is needed is a total change to the Rachuig Team composition, with the introduction of a minimum average requirement.
If the format of Rachuig is changed to mirror that of the Seniors ie 4 person teams, it should be possible to get enough higher average bowlers to nominate and thus restore the status quo.

Andrew,

I have personally always considered the bowlers who are up around the selection averages to represent our great country to be the ELITE bowlers.

Liz

Brenton,

I just realised in my previous post that I was actually wrong.

I still have a chance at becoming an elite bowler - bowl left handed !!

:Lighten:

Liz

Back
Top Bottom