What are your thoughts ?

Kellie

Facebook Rocks
I came across this on bowlingdigital.com

What are your thoughts on this topic, does he know what he is talking about, or have times changed and it is what we all do to get the reaction we would like out of our ball.

Column
'Objections to the use of sandpaper' by John Jowdy

In one of his recent articles, Dick Evans took a beating from readers when he expressed his belief that the surface of any ball, IN ANY SPORT, should not be altered under any circumstance, including SANDING.

Dick Evans is one of, if not, the most prolific bowling writers in the history of the game. He has garnered more writing awards than anyone ever and continues to cover the sport on a greater scale than any single individual in the game.

Unlike many bowling "know it alls", Evans goes on to say that his detractors were right when they said he didn't know much about the cover stocks on bowling balls and other criticisms directed his way. However, since Evans and I are the best of friends, I feel compelled to come to his defense in responding to some of his critics.

First of all, we must realize that some bowlers, who advocate the use of sandpaper, defend this practice because it affords them an edge or aids them in overcoming slicker lane conditions. Please note that I used the term "some bowlers", which references bowlers who lack the talent or capability of making hand/release adjustments to overcome changing lane conditions.

While I can not physically demonstrate my point due to an arthritic hand problem, I have acquired the reputation of being successful in coaching pros and amateurs for over 30 years, which includes the art of skillfully changing hand positions and speed to achieve a desired ball reaction.

I am well aware of different cover stocks, core configurations, and drilling patterns that are all designed to simplify scoring in the game. This is called progress. Bowlers who apply these methods correctly become successful. However, I totally object to tampering with the surface of ANY ball to increase friction on the lanes. I've lost tract of the years when the practice of "toying" with the surface of bowling balls passed ABC regulations. Prior to that time, this was an absolute NO, NO. Also, previously prohibited, was the drilling of an additional hole to balance the outside weight of the ball.

It's been too long to recall the exact year or dates that ABC lost control of regulations governing outlandish scores. It has become increasingly apparent that any rules or regulations that were in effect prior to the present assault on scoring records have been abandoned and ignored; including SANDING the surface of a ball.

Consequently, I'd like to respond to two of the letters sent to Dick Evans, wherein, he is chastised for his lack of knowledge regarding bowling balls. Naturally, both of these gentlemen are serious bowlers; one, a German bowler, the other, an American. Each has a different take on today's game; the German suggesting a defensive measure for match play, the American apparently protecting his turf by displaying greater defense of sanding balls than he is in the preservation of PURITY AND INTEGRITY in the game.

First, I'd like to address an avid bowler from Germany who wrote, " it is illegal to alter the surface of a ball during competition". He further states, "but who cares? Just get another ball with another surface! Use an EPX-T1 and change the pattern on the lane in just three shots. I think this possibility makes this game more interesting! The more challenging it is, the more fun. I hope more people apply the knowledge of changing the pattern to stop his rival. If the rival is better than me, he will change his shot too."

With all due respect to this gentleman, when did bowling become a defensive game? I was always under the impression that in bowling, just as it is in golf, there is NO defense in bowling; the defense is the lane, not your opponent. Whoever scores the highest is the victor; that is, unless you deliberately attempt to overcome your rival by tampering with the approach or through physical force.

The American player is obviously a very good bowler who has competed with some of the best players in the PBA Midwest region. He is very knowledgeable bowler in the intricate phases of the game. However, he chastises Mr. Evans regarding his objections to sanding balls with the following statement…"Your comparisons to other sports belay your lack of technical expertise in the sport. When was the last time they applied so much oil to a basketball court that it wouldn't bounce? When was the last time they applied so much oil to a golf course that the ball would simply slide on the ground and not roll? This happens at bowling events, as lane conditions change throughout the event."

With all due respect to this gentleman, I fail to see his comparison of oil application on bowling lanes to oil on a basketball court. However, the game of golf is a fairer equation. Fairways can be narrowed, with high grass increasing the difficulty of salvaging an errant shot. Trees, sand traps and water can be placed in perilous positions. Cups are set in undulating positions and placed in different areas from day to day in professional events. These obstacles are akin to the various invisible oil patterns in PBA tournaments and present a more appropriate comparison.

This gentleman goes on to state," When competing in an event, it is of ultimate importance for a bowler to match up his ball reaction with the lane condition applied by the tournament staff, similar to a golfer changing the angle of a golf club. (9 to 3 iron). This can be accomplished by using a different ball or changing the surface of the bowling ball. Changing the surface of a bowling ball allows for more variety in a bowlers arsenal without spending exorbitant amounts of money on equipment. In the future, I would suggest you research your topics before writing. You have made a declaration of a very technical nature regarding a sport that it is obvious you have limited to no technical knowledge."

Excuse me….This is pretty harsh on one of the most venerable and knowledgeable writers in the history of bowling. My answer to this critic/bowler, "if you were as proficient as a bowler as Dick Evans is a writer, you would be the leading player on the PBA tour." First of all, you want to equate bowling ball reaction to a golfer changing the angle of a golf club (9 to 3). Golfers are allowed 14 clubs; all designed for various distances and loft. All are legal. BUT, they cannot add extra notches in the club heads nor can golfers use balls with extra dimples that are not sanctioned by the PGA.

Now, going back to bowling ball reaction, have you been watching the PBA tour lately?" Several weeks ago, Norm Duke, bowling in the title match, suddenly lost his carry playing an outside line for five frames. He fell behind over 30 pins to one of the great match play bowlers on tour, Mika Koivuniemi. Did Duke panic? Did he rush to the paddock for another ball? No way, Jose. Duke did what all great bowlers do. He merely moved inside, changed speeds, hand position, and struck out all the way to win the tournament. This is called "adjustment", which is acquired through experience and knowledge.

Two weeks later, Duke annexed his 25th PBA title by polishing off four opponents, all whom played an inside line. Norm persevered by sticking with his outside end-over-end shot and took advantage of what the lane gave him This is what sets apart players like Duke, Barnes, Tommy Jones, Walter Ray, and other accomplished PBA members from players who forsake hand and speed positions in favor of sandpaper and a boatload of bowling balls.

Personally, I'd like to see the PBA ban the practice of sanding bowling balls. Does this seem like a harsh or rigid rule? If so, bowling fans may recall objections to the use of sandpaper by one of the most fundamentally sound bowlers in the history of the game, Brian Voss.

Long live great Hall of Fame bowling writers like Dick Evans.

Long live bowlers who have mastered the art of hand and speed control to place themselves among the immortals of the game.

John Jowdy

interesting comments.

I must say i did not know you were allowed to change the ball condition dueing a game, i was always told it was illegal to do any such thing

I agree with Evans on this one.

Firstly, different bowling balls are designed "from the ground up" for a certain scenario. If you change the surface of a ball, the result is not necessarily a 'quick fix'.

Secondly, I've always been a fan of making use of what you have, NO MATTER WHAT. Using the Norm Duke example, there are basic principles that we throw to one side when we can afford a range of HP equipment. I'm not saying that one ball is always going to be enough, but there won't be much difference if you have four or fourteen balls - you have to know how to use them first.

Matchplay golf is about overcoming physical limitations, course conditions and possible form slumps to succeed over 18 holes. Likewise, bowling is about overcoming lane conditions through making use of what we have.

In short, back to basics.

Back
Top Bottom