Bowling Legend Dick Weber, 75, dies in sleep at home

Graham

Staff member
By Dick Evans

Dick Weber, bowling's greatest ambassador ever and possibly its greatest bowler ever, died peacefully in his sleep Sunday night at his home in the St. Louis Area. Less than 36 hours earlier Weber had gotten a standing ovation when he was introduced at the opening ceremonies of the 102nd American Bowling Championship Tournament at the River Center Convention Center in Baton Rouge, La.

A tearful Rich Weber, Dick's oldest child, called Monday morning to deliver the sad news that will shake up the tenpin bowling world. Dick Weber had won 26 Professional Bowlers Association titles in his young years, six PBA Senior titles and four old National All-Star titles that featured 400 players and 100-game formats.

On August 6, 1992, Dick Weber became the first professional bowler to win titles in six consecutive decades. At the age of 72, Dick Weber won his first PBA Senior Regional championship at New North Lanes in Taylorville, Illinois, on January 20, 2002, to become the first player to win a PBA event in six consecutive decades. No one else has ever done that.

The rail-thin righthander in his young years was named National Bowler of the Year in 1961-63-65 and was voted one of the three all-time great bowlers at the end of the 20th century. He was inducted in the ABC Hall of Fame in 1970 and the PBA Hall of Fame in 1975.

Weber also established a world wide following for anchoring the famous Budweiser teams and with a half century association with the AMF Bowling Ball company, which sent him around the world.

He had gotten much media attention world wide by bowling a match in an airplane from the New York area to Texas, on the sand at Miami Beach and as a feature attraction with unorthodox bowling shots in Manhattan on national TV shows.

He was a man who could never say no to an autograph seeker, an invitation or a bowling function.

I told a friend that Dick Weber, 75, looked very tired at the reception before the ABC opening ceremonies Saturday night but still he was his genial self. He said that he would return to Baton Rouge for the ABC Hall of Fame ceremonies March 14-18 and to bowl in the tournament that he loved so dearly.

Dick said he wished that the new United States Bowling Congress, which replaced the ABC Jan. 1, would hold future Hall of Fame ceremonies at the tournament site but would be there no matter where they were held.

I had the honor to serve on Hall of Fame committees with Dick Weber and I was always impressed that when Dick Weber talked, everybody listened intently. In the past few years bowling has lost two of its greatest stars - Joe Norris and Earl Anthony.

But neither of those great bowlers touched as many bowlers world wide as Dick Weber - his laugh was infectious, his personality always that of a champion, his bowling skills unmatched and his love of bowling unrivaled.

Dick Weber will be dearly missed as a great bowler and a unique human being.

Dick Evans

What can you say, perhaps the 'nice guy' of all pro sports, winner in 6 decades, 2 centuries and 2 milleniums. Bowling will never be the same

RIP Dick Weber

Just found this at another website... made me chuckle, which can only be a good thing with news like this.

The last time that the legendary duo Joe Norris and Dick Weber bowled the ABC Doubles event together, they discussed whether or not there would be bowling in heaven. They both agreed that who ever got there first would scout it out, and then come back to let the other one know. Sunday night, Joe Norris appeared to Mr. Weber in a dream.

"Dick-- I've got some good news and some bad news for you. The good news is that there is bowling in heaven. The lanes are always perfect, in fact, you only need one ball. THe pins are pristine, the machinery works flawlessly; the bowling center is clean pillar to post and they have the best customer service that I've ever seen!

Dick replied, "That really sounds teriffic-- what's the bad news?"

Joe told him, "Well, I signed you up for league, and you start tomorrow."

RIP Dick Weber you did so much to get bowling to where it is today and never asked for anything in return you are a sportsman on and off the lanes you have left your mark on the bowling world and did it with a smile and all i can say is thanks and hope you will live on in heaven.

Another legend has passed and no one can ever take his place

I only got to bowl with or against Dick Weber a few times and I spent a very short time in his company off the lanes. Even still, I know enough about the man to say he will be missed by millions of people from around the globe.

Dick Weber will always be the "grand old man" of bowling.

May the bowling gods be good to you up there in heaven
and may the sideboards and kickbacks be lively.

Wayne Chester
PBA#1195

Androoo, i know your joke might seem appealling to you, but dont u think others might not find joking about some1 who as just recently passed away wrong.......(not meaning to critisize..just a suggestion)

I thought the joke was most appropriate.
In sad times like this it is nice to think that Dick is still doing what he loves on the sweetest lanes god ever layed a condition on.

Graeme

Dick Weber ur a champion! So dont forget that, Bowling Wont Be The Same Without You as many of fans and appreciaters have already said...... RIP Dick Weber

Strange. I was watching an edited highlights package after the Bowling World Cup on Fox 1 the other morning in which Dick Weber was commentating, and I wondered what he was doing now, then log in and to read this news is very, very sad.
I loved watching him bowl in the PBA Senior tapes I had around here.

Farewell to an ornament of the game, both on and off the lanes. A real champion.

Strange. I was watching an edited highlights package after the Bowling World Cup on Fox 1 the other morning in which Dick Weber was commentating, and I wondered what he was doing now, then log in and to read this news is very, very sad.

I did that in reverse...read this then watch the World Cup...I thought it was a bit strange...a lil scary even...
R.I.P Dick Weber

Dick Weber, the nice guy of bowling, and certainly one of the greats. Bowlers like Dick Weber and Earl Anthony insipred a generation of bowlers across the globe and he, like Earl, will be missed.

I think its safe to say that all our wishes go out to Dicks family & friends. Perhaps they can take comfort in the fact that he was greatly admired & respected across the world and will be sorely missed by all.

Rest in peace Dick, may the lanes always be perfect, the pins be pristine and the strikes plentiful.

Great Man

Bowling lost a great bowler, the webber family have lost a a great member, and I am sure many of the professional and elete bowling community members have lost a good friend.

I was never fortunate enough to have met the man, but from those hundreds of hours I have watch him bowl or commentate on PBA broadcasts- I am sad to hear I won't see or hear him again...

My sympathies go out to his family and friends.

Back
Top Bottom