Belmonte doing well in PBA

Wal Brooker

Just noticed that Jason Belmonte is in 17Th place after five games of qualiying for the PBA's Dick Weber Open in the US.

Also Malaysian star Shalin Zulkifli is just ahead of jason in 13th and is the only female in sight at this early stage.

Good luck to both of you guys..I for one will be keeping my fingers crossed for .a good result.

The scores can be checked out at www.pba.com.

BELMO Has finished in 12th Place after the 15 game Qualifing round
in the Dick Weber Classic

Total Pin Fall for the 15 Games 3254 +254 216.93

Good Luck Belmo kick some arse

Good stuff Belmo!!!! Keep it going.

Also a mention for a strong finishing Big Daddy to finish as top amateur.

Good luck in Vegas!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to see him pick himself up, dust off and get going again after a disappointing (his words, not mine) finish recently. Recovery from adversity is the hallmark of the champion.

Keep it up Jason. Only 100 off the lead and old style matchplay with bonus pins coming up makes that achievable.

and its made ninemsn:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/742433/aussie-two-hander-bowls-over-us-rivals

0602_belmonte_po_sp.jpg

A young ten pin bowler from country NSW is causing a stir in the US two hands at a time.

Jason Belmonte, 25, is yet to win a major tournament in the US, but in recent days he has been profiled in two of America's pre-eminent newspapers, The Wall Street Journal and The Los Angeles Times.

"Jason Belmonte May Revolutionise the Sport If His Back Doesn't Give Out First," the headline in Thursday's profile in the Journal states.

What has the ten pin bowling world and US mainstream media buzzing is Belmonte's bowling style.

He throws the ball down the lane with two hands.

His style involves placing just two fingers in the ball's holes instead of two fingers and a thumb.

The result is the ball spins 600 revolutions per minute, up to 17 per cent more than the traditional way, resulting in a sharp hook before smashing into the pins.

"When he hits the pocket, it's curtains," John Jowdy, an American ten pin bowling coach since 1948.

"The ball is very destructive."

There are only "three or four" professional players in the world who use the style and while some traditional bowlers are experimenting in switching to two hands, others are not so pleased and have questioned whether it's legal.

Critics were also upset when the Professional Bowlers Association gave him two exemptions to skip qualifying in two tournaments and proceed to the main event.

That is rare.

"It really irritated a bunch of the players," the most decorated bowler on the PBA, Walter Ray Williams Jr, said.

Others predict the style will make Belmonte and others who copy his style prone to injury.

"They put an awful, awful strain on their legs and their back," Jowdy said.

Belmonte, from Orange, 250km west of Sydney, is spending the next month playing the lucrative US bowling circuit.

His current base is Nice, France, where he has competed in Europe.

Belmonte's style was first crafted as an 18-month-old on his family's home made ten pin bowling lane in Orange. He was so small and the ball so big he used two hands and never changed.

If he was forced to go traditional, Belmonte said he would have to give the game up.

"There's no way I can compete at any level," he told the LA Times.

Isn't this just sensational publicity for the game, for Jason and for the reality of being just a little different - and making a huge success of your life. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a short piece that was so up-beat about bowling and one individual. None of the usual down playing of the game - none of the boring and often written trite and snide comments by the writer. Unusal in content and well done in fact.

Back
Top Bottom