Jason Belmonte makes history at World Tenpin Masters

GUS

In possibly the greatest match in the eight-year history of the World Tenpin Masters, Australia's Jason Belmonte bowled the tournament's first ever 300-game but was still forced right to the wire as 2001 champion Shalin Zulkifli came so close to her own maximum in the second game.

Belmonte, who delivers the ball using both hands (pictured), rolled home his historic 12 strikes in front of a near capacity crowd at the Adwick Leisure Center in in Doncaster, England, to establish a huge 98 pin lead after the first game. That brought a lengthy standing ovation from the crowd and seemed to make the outcome of the match a foregone conclusion.

Zulkifli, however, had other ideas and started striking as her opponent wilted to record two spares and an open frame in his first three frames. After ten strikes from the Malaysian, the match was still balanced on a knife-edge before a stubborn ten pin sealed Zulkifli's fate and booked Belmonte's quarter-final spot.

achievement; "That's my 20th 300-game but I've had plenty more 298's and 299's than 300's so you never know until that last strike goes down. I was very nervous at the end because I know anything can happen and luck can come into it.

"Shalin never gave up though. She's the kind of bowler that when she needs strikes, she gets them and she was so aggressive in that second game.

"Tomorrow is another game though and I know you can't shoot 300 every time. I feel very confident and relaxed out there but I know these players aren't any old hacks from around the world!"

Courtesy of www.bowlingdigital.com

Good work Belmo.

Congratulations Belmo.

Now you have a TV 300 to your name, another feather in your cap.

That means you've shot one and had one thrown against you on TV, you may be the only person in the world who can claim that.

Congrats again.

awsome bowling by the world champ you rule the lanes belmo.

Congratulations Belmo.
Nice bowling. Hope ya can make it all the way and bring it home.
Keep up the good work.

Well Done Belmo keep it up and good luck for the rest of the tournament bring that trophy home.
Laterz Chris

Belmo has won his Quaterfinal, and is now throught o the semi-final.

Semifinals - Sunday, May 8, 2005
Tore Torgersen, Norway vs. Paul Moor, England
Jason Belmonte, Australia vs. Jens Nickel, Germany

Details from the Quarter Final Round

Yesterday's maximum man, Jason Belmonte (pictured), continued where he left off as games of 253 and 244 kept up his blistering average at the expense of Sweden's Tomas Leandersson who fell away in the second game. The Australian's unique two-handed delivery of the ball generates masses of spin and his heavy hooking game is paying dividends

"Local hope Paul Moor of Hull, blasted his way into the semifinals of the World Tenpin Masters following a devastating performance that upended South African Guy Caminsky's challenge. The lefty will meet defending champion and PBA exempt bowler Tore Torgersen from Norway (pictured). In the other semifinal, German heavyweight Jens Nickel takes on Jason Belmonte, the Australian with the unique two-handed delivery."

This is the latest I can find. Go Belmo you good thing!!

Feral

Further update on Belmo:

"In the second semifinal Bremen-based German international Jens Nickel pulled away in the second game to record a huge 90-pin victory over Australia's Jason Belmonte, who was shaping up to the player of the tournament.

Nickel nosed in front in the first game but with everything to play for he found his form and scored strike after strike to widen the gap. Belmonte by contrast, fell apart as a succession of splits and open frames were his downfall.

The 40 year-old bowling center manager closed out the game in style to book his final place and set up and Germany vs. England clash with Paul Moor.

Championship Round:
1. Jens Nickel, Germany, $30,000
2. Paul Moor, England, $10,000
3. Tore Torgersen, Norway, $5,000
(tie) Jason Belmonte, Australia, $5,000

Semifinal Match 1:
Paul Moor, England (233+247) def.
Tore Torgersen, Norway (216+164), 480-380
Semifinal Match 2:
Jens Nickel, Germany (211+257) def.
Jason Belmonte, Australia (203+175), 468-378

Championship Match:
Jens Nickel, Germany (207+279) def.
Paul Moor, England (212+177), 485-389."

Well done Belmo :cool: You are a real champ and you should be proud of your achievement at such a young age. :cool:

Anyone else agree?

Cheers mate

Feral

Yeah, Im with Feral. Belmo bowled really well. A bit unfortunate not to make it to the end, but its ok. Done well mate.
Congrats.

Congratulations Belmo. You are the MAN!

Can someone please let me know when they matches are going to be on TV so I can find a friend who has Cable and I can go watch or record these matches??
Thanks

Later Da Cowman!

Awsome. I have watch that guy play. I would like to be that good one day. But im just going to have to settle for 176's, 180's and 189's.. i will get over 200 one day. Fingers crossed. I only started bowling comp last year. But its the highligh of the week for me. persides getting payed and sunday roast with the family. I enjoy Bowling heaps. Its great fun. :p

Champion effort on belmos behlaf. Great to see him still doing well on the international seen.

Exactly how old is jason? early 20's?

Topher

Super effort Belmo!!,

The publicity you create with your approach to this game is what it needs to bring in more people.

A super ambassidor to bowling and to Australia.

Fantastic!

Wattsy.

Thought i wouild bring this back up Foxtel are showing the World tenpin masters starting yesterday. Belmo has not bowled yet so we havent missed that. Im sure its screening on tuesdays with a repeat on early wednesday morning. Lets everybody set there videos so that a piece of Australian tenpin history can be seen by everybody.

Philby

Back
Top Bottom