What are your thoughts regarding Nationals

JAYK, if that is the case, then I apologise, however, I have always had a problem with high handicap bowlers calling themselves state team representatives. I always felt that title should be a difficult and exclusive term for those with the ability, persistence and determination to achieve that goal. I know that excludes the majority of bowlers, but in what other sport can the average Jo or Joe, achieve state representation without achieving elite status? And please don't tell me that it doesn't happen, because I have seen and heard of many cases of high handicap players claiming state rep status.
The main problem with the (then) DeVeer tournament was that it promoted "average management". Where was the incentive to improve when mediocrity was enough to achieve a state shirt? The fact that the Holt committee decided that it would go and hold its own event because it did not agree with the TBA's decision to take away its state representation status is indication to me that the Holt bowlers are worried about losing a status that most Rachuig bowlers do not believe they ar entitled to.

Brenton, Holt does not use the word State but we are Zones as the is was not the issue of how HOLT came about, We at this years AGM have Included a Classic division to help people achieve, the goal of going from one stage to the ultimate challenge Rauchuig, as there are allot of classic blowers out there and I am one of them. I look forward to September where I hope to represent my Zone.
Regards
Jeanette Kent

I believe the Holt Challange are going about things the right way. This organisation is giving bowlers what they want without treading on the toes of our elite bowlers.

That is why I have put my hand up to go on the Vic commitee.

:D
Liz

Liz

I knew that you would figure out that you were standing on the wrong side of the ball one day :D

Unlike Grumpy and I that figured it out years ago!!! :D

Jason

Back to the point of the original post - why aren't things like Emerson, Dunn Shields and Country Cup used to create a Vic Squad.
Or
Break up Victoria into the current DHS (Dept of Human Services) regions (which there are 7) and then create regionalised squads to then bowl off for the Ultimate Victorian Ten Pin Team to go towards the Nationals. Hell even let invite the Kiwi's over for our Nationals to compete. Then we could go over there to compete too.
AND
if those that still wish to compete may compete at the Nationals but at their own cost.

But I need more experience to make a better, more informed ideas....

Jason,

I have been asking around as to why we can't have a truly state roll off by each centre in Vic submitting a team.

Bowlers in Vic enjoy Dunn Shield, Country Cup and Emmerson. So why not give them something else to discuss on this site.........

Liz

I think having a 5 person team mens and ladies all states and divisions(open,seniors,youth and disability) would be the way to go,get rid of the doubles,restricted etc,and for the masters take the top 2 averages over the weekend for each state and each division giving a total of 16 bowlers for each division,and have the darryl holt replace the deveer as a resticted tourny and make a restricted weekend same as above with all states and divisions,sorry include NZ in their two the more the better
My two bob

Jason,
I have been asking around as to why we can't have a truly state roll off by each centre in Vic submitting a team.
Bowlers in Vic enjoy Dunn Shield, Country Cup and Emmerson. So why not give them something else to discuss on this site.........
Liz

And another rule to Keep Craig out of another team :p LOLOLOL

Did Holt have a masters? What was their format?

The reason for my original post was a response to comments in other threads about the decrease in participation & support of major tournaments, disharmony in the sport, and what I think is a overwhelming sense out there that there is a better way of doing things.
The ways things are at present, it is difficult (time wise) and expensive to attend all the events you would like to. I can attest to this after going to Perth to attend both Holt and ATBSO nationals, then a week later going to Melbourne to participate in the Nationals and to support our Rachuig team. Andrew and I run our own business so we don't get 4 weeks paid annual leave - so that's 4 weeks where no work, no pay. But that is our choice as we make that time our holidays (although we spent almost every day in a bowling alley).
On the other hand, we have that flexibility, whereas PAYG employees have 4 weeks paid leave and have to juggle family and bowling commitments.
One of the things that has been apparent to me is there are people who don't roll off for a state (zone) team because they have children that bowl in either Juniors or Youth OR BOTH! As most parents do, they put their kids before themselves (as well as time and money).

I have always thought that holding a jnr/adult nationals would be a great idea.
The idea of been able to take my child/ren to a nationals and while im there compete myself would help in so many ways.
I mean you can make it family time. Expenses of just 1 trips rather than multiple, plus i would in turn have a little personal cheer squad, as would the rest of of my family.
THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!
I have always thought that holding a jnr/adult nationals would be a great idea.
The idea of been able to take my child/ren to a nationals and while im there compete myself would help in so many ways.
I mean you can make it family time. Expenses of just 1 trips rather than multiple, plus i would in turn have a little personal cheer squad, as would the rest of of my family.
THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!
Where do you hold an event (and even with the small numbers we have now) like this in OZ. You would need a massive centre, 48 lanes plus.
I have always thought that the more people you get to one place the better for bowling.
Plus the buzz from the junior bowlers being able to watch the countries best adults would create much talk amongst the younger bowlers, plus maybe ven keep them in the game a little longer.
Having everyone in one place at one time would be great so you can work out great hotel rates, knowing that a huge amount of people are coming. Sponsorship may be easier and above all having a jam packed bowling centre is amazing for atmosphere.
I have bowled all over the world, the best events i have been in, is when the bowling centre is packed......IT FEELS LIKE A TOURNAMENT!
The lane pattern can be what ever, people b!tch and moan when the lanes are easy or hard, i have bowled on enough patterns to know that the only bowler happy is the guy who wins.
The formatt......well thats something to think about. The only idea i have is perhaps run the masters like a tournament.
This sounds crazy i know, but hear me out.
Instead of playing a singles to get into the masters ( i mean mostly it all depends what pair you get anway) pay a entry fee (but an all events must be played in full before one can enter) and play a 2 day event that runs like this.
Day 1:
6 games
break re-oil
6 games
break re-oil
6 games
Top what ever makes the cut
Day 2:
6 games
break
cut to a smaller number
6 games
cut to a smaller number
6 games
THERE IS YOUR WINNER
Who ever has the most pins bowled over a long period of time over 2 days will be named AUSTRALIA's masters champ.
To me that would be a kick ar$e format for this event.....long, enduring, mentally tough, plus enough games/breaks for bowlers to make changes to their game to 'make a come back'
Well thats just an idea....... would be kind of sweet if the logistics could enable it to become true
WELL????
Belmo

I do believe there is a solution (compromise) out there. The questions: Who?, how?, when? will only be answered when and if there is a 'meeting of the minds', driven by a genuine desire for improvement through the mechanism of change. Throw out the script, write a new one!

Angy Campbell

SQ has an interesting new format for Masters which went down well especially with the spectators. After the initial rounds they cut to a final 6.

These 6 then bowled 1 game with the low game score dropping out. This was repeated until it was down to the final 2 competitors who then rolled a 3 game decider.

The final 6 could really be any number the organiser decides, the interest and speculation is in who drops out as each round get closer to the final.

This format may not be for everyone, but the sudden death aspect keeps the spectators interest all the way to the final.

That sounds like a great format Andrew.

With so many great ideas out there, why are we still running the Nationals in the same "OLD" format. Do these ideas ever make it to the table when it counts and if not how do we get them there?

I realise that we can't all attend a forum to get heard so who are our voices? Do they have larengitis presently?

Liz

Brenton I wholeheartedly agree with your comments about State Representative bowlers.
More recently however with the lack of bowlers willing to nominate for their State Team we are starting to see lower average bowlers make Rachuig Teams by default.
So in effect as it stands at present the State Team bowlers can't really claim to be the true elite.
What is needed is a total change to the Rachuig Team composition, with the introduction of a minimum average requirement.
If the format of Rachuig is changed to mirror that of the Seniors ie 4 person teams, it should be possible to get enough higher average bowlers to nominate and thus restore the status quo.

As a lower average bowler who "made the team by default" (even though I had to roll off and do the practice and training sessions for the last six months), just wondering where, exactly do you guys want people like me to play. You have pushed until we can no longer bowl for our state as de Veer and now you want to stop me from playing for my state in Rachuig, because you believe I'm not good enough. You all want the TBA to get moving and bring more people into the Nationals. how do you propose they should do that when people dont want or wont let us play. Over the past four years I have improved my average by over 40 pins, thanks mainly to the pride I felt representing my state for de Veer and wanting to better it to make Rachuig, if I now, like a lot of other people, have to wait another four or five years until we are good enough for you (even though our own state seems to think we're ok). why would new people bother? where is the incentive with opinions like this.

Back
Top Bottom