Vale, Jim Cross

Mistagear

www.xgamesbowling.com
Today, I lost my best mate and bowling lost a legend.
Jim Cross has been at the forefront of Bowling in this country since it's earliest days, he competed at the highest level in the early 1960's when bowling was at the height of popularity, he made a number of TV appearances on the Bowling Shows in the day.
Jim scored milestone achievements behind the scenes also, he was deeply involved in the transition from ATBC to TBA and actually wrote the constitution for the TBA which we all are guided by to this day.
A regular competitor in tournaments, well into his 70's, it was mainly Jim's dislike of flying that limited how far away he ventured to play a sport which he loved so dearly.

Jim continued to be committed to the sport long after having owned and operated Ballina Tenpin Bowl and I'm sure the current owners Cameron and Emma Walsh held Jim in the highest esteem.
Jim employed Cameron as a school leaver and was Camo's first boss. Its partly due and testament to Jim's ability to impart knowledge and wisdom that Bowling in Ballina is in such capable hands today. In some small ways, Jim's influence will continue to benefit the locals in Ballina for as long as the Walsh's are involved.
Long serving members of Total Bowling will well remember that Jim has been a regular here since the very early days.
I cant express how huge the influence Jim has had, and will continue to have on my life. He has been a friend, a mentor and the person I have turned to for advice and guidance like no other, that I have ever experienced in my whole life. Just wish I were a better friend and student.
I will miss my mate forever and will imagine, every time I hear thunder, the sound I'm hearing is Jim and other bowlers past, are playing a big tournament upstairs.
A true Gentleman in every respect, R.I.P

Last edited:
Wow that was sudden i didnt seem that long ago he was contributing here on the forum:( ,but well said Peter , he will be missed by many for sure.

That's so sad. I knew he had a few problems but had no idea this was coming. As has already been said he will be missed. Rip Jim.

Total Bowling has lost one of its greatest contributers, will be missed. Another star upstairs added to the team. R.I.P. Jim Dockers

Sad news,

Well said Peter. While i never met the man you could tell how passionate he was about tenpin bowling. And as Dockers said "Total Bowling has lost one of its greatest contributors".
Thoughts with the family and friends.

Jim's funeral was held Wednesday at Ballina NSW. Around 100 people attended including local Bowlers, the local Mayor, Motor Racing identities as well as other friends and relatives. I think the mix of individuals present showed the wide diversity of Jim's interests and the esteem in which he was held.
Total Bowling members may well be pleased that Jim's last reactive ball is accompanying him on the journey and is likely to be the latest and best equipment available at "Heavenly Lanes". I have no idea what the latest discussion by bowlers up there is, but am sure Jim will be in the thick of it, doing his best to promote the game.
I guess the words "spirited discussion" will have new meaning to the guys up there, now that Jim Cross has joined them.

Rest in Peace my mate, still can't believe you are no longer around. This world is a much poorer place for your passing.

Last edited:
Oh, wow. Having been lost in renovation-land, I had no idea.

I only "knew" Jim as one of the finest contributors to this forum. He was a disciplined thinker with a no-nonsense attitude and a very cheeky sense of humour. Even though we'd never spoken, let alone met, I regarded him as my friend.

I'm quite profundly saddened by this news, but grateful that you've let us know, Peter. Tonight, I shall raise a glass to Jim.

Like Jason, I've been out of the loop here in Far North Queensland for weeks and was shocked and truly saddened to realise that two stalwarts of our sport - Jim Cross and Fay Eslick - have recently passed away.

My heartfelt condolences to their families and many friends.

Both Jim and Fay will be long remembered with respect and appreciation for their tremendous contribution to the sport of tenpin bowling.

Lynne

Like all other long time members of this forum it is very sad to hear of Jims passing. The forum will be sadly less informed than it should be from now on with his passing.

Back
Top Bottom