15years, same centre, same league

Hayden manskie

gotta have balls to bowl
hey guys:) just a quick mention for a friend of mine named Jim who bowls in the thursday night goodtime league at AMF richlands, he asked me today and it made me a bit curious, does anybody know a person who has bowled in the same centre, in the same league for over 15 years??? The best thing about it is jim hasn't missed one week of league, he may have prebowled about 10 times over the 15 years but not once was he put down as a vacant or blind. Not only has he not missed a week but he has been with the league ever since it started back in '94:eek:

It will be Jims 15th year this coming June, let me just say, Jim loves his bowling, despite the fact his average is 120, he never stops trying.

Way to go mate :)

So just out of curiousity does anyone know anyone who has done this before?? 15 years, same centre, same league and never missed one week

Hayden manskie said:
hey guys:) just a quick mention for a friend of mine named Jim who bowls in the thursday night goodtime league at AMF richlands, he asked me today and it made me a bit curious, does anybody know a person who has bowled in the same centre, in the same league for over 15 years???
Firstly, congrats to Jim, that's a terrific effort!
Umm, I bowled Sponsors League at Moonah every season (two seasons per year) for 18 years I think it was, but did have some weeks off, yes and my aunt actually bowled 25 years in a row in that league before she quit the game altogether.
I know there were a few others that had played for over 40 years in that league, one was the late John Dobson, Brian Schultz who was a farmer that made the once-weekly trek up from the Huon Valley to bowl and deliver apples up to the city and the other was his wife Judy that still bowls in the league, I think they actually met each other bowling in the same league and married years later.

Hayden manskie said:
So just out of curiousity does anyone know anyone who has done this before?? 15 years, same centre, same league and never missed one week
Not real sure about that one, many many moons ago when I was unemployed I used to sub in the morning leagues and there was an old lady in one of the teams that I subbed for that reckoned she'd hadn't missed a week since 1977 (this was back in 1997), but I can't remember her name though sorry, all I remember about her was that she was very religious!
Truth be told, I reckon there'd be a couple of those old stalwarts in those day leagues that'd have long attendance records like that.

My Dad's been bowling the Galstar league at Campbelltown on Monday nights since I was in primary school, so he'd be going on 20 years now. I'm sure a couple of the guys from the Scratch Singles on Thursdays have been going for about as long as well.

Hey Matt,
What about the 'Ball and chain league' that used to be on sunday nights?
Now i remember bowling in that league before and after the Tas bridge got knocked down, having to make an hour odd trip getting around grass tree hill road before they put a highway through old beach:). I think the bowl had those old amf blue masking units - and green carpet. There was a few old hands in that league:):) I think Laurie Cooper would of been a long contender too in many leagues...

lefty

Correct me if I'm wrong...but Marg Tucker still bowls in my old league in Lonnie, Tas.....the Select Club. She is one of the originals when the league commenced in 1984. Congrats Marg!:smiley.php::groupwave:

Firstly well done to Jim, and yes we still have a few ladies still bowling at Blacktown now on Thursdays who were members of the first sanctioned league in Australia.ie Les Girls
This league was started just after Blacktown opened and while it has now disbanded a lot of the women bowled twice a week and are continuing on in Waratah League on Thursday mornings. It is 12 teams of 5 wonderful ladies. I think our original lady still bowling is BETTY BRUNELL.
Jessie Mitchell and Fay Eslick would have to have been the longest standing President and Secetary they still attend luncheons and sponsor the league I my self have bowled in league at Blacktown since 1976 although not the same league and i am league secretary for AMF Blacktown for the past 15 years and hope to continue for many more.
As a final note there would have to be 50 if not more very loyal Blacktown bowlers with over 20 or more years.
I may just have to do a survey actually.
This is a great sport and something all ages can enjoy for many years so lets all keep throwing them down.

Fay Eslick!!!! Thats about the oldest school name is Australian bowling. Ah well, only 22 yrs to go till i get to 50 yrs

My Mum has bowled in Bundaberg since the original centre opened in 1978-79 maybe 79-80 (28-29 years) in the same Wednesday morning league and still continues today in the current centre. I'm pretty sure she is not on her own either in that particular league.

All this after eye surgery, torn achilles, knee replacements, etc but she just loves the game a good old chat. :D:D:D

Eric R.

Back
Top Bottom